• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom variant program

861 posts in this topic

On it's own the logo is fine. The problem is it has it's own colour scheme and font that begins to clash once you put it on a cover that also has it's own colour schme/font.

With all the logos and things that are on the big two books they are starting to look like a NASCAR.

Something simple and minimal would be a bit better imo. It should still let people know it's a phantom variant but it should be designed so that it blends in with any cover. I'm not a logo designer but If you look at the top brand logo's most of them are very simple and don't involve too many colours.

Appreciate what you are doing with the program, just giving some honest feedback. Just one opinion anyways.

>>This would be a must buy for me if it wasn't for the Phantom logo. I understand it is there because of contractual obligations but the logo could be a little more aesthetically pleasing.<<

Guess you won't be buying any.

Going forward my aesthetically un-pleasing logo will be on EVERY book.

Sorry.

You are correct. The covers are awesome pieces of art I just with the Phantom logo would have been thought out a little more, or maybe it was and that is what you came up with. I have nothing against you and think your Phantom variant program is a fine idea and hope it is a successful venture for you.

I thought the logo out quite a bit.

I'm pretty pleased with it.

Based on sales, most seem to like it.

Unfortunately, I cant start a brand, without a logo.

photo.jpg

That's a silly argument.

I've bought some of your Phantom variants and I think the logo is awful. The idea is good, but the amateurish type treatment & actual execution is terrible.

Thanks for the kind words...

You obviously care about the books that you put out - this is apparent from the quality of the cover art you use for your variants (both the Larry's store variants and now these Phantom variants). And there's no question that it would be silly not to have a logo on the book, signifying that it is part of the Phantom variant program - after all, it's your program & it's in your best interest to promote it.

What I don't understand, however, is how you can look at the Deadpool #1 Phantom variant and go "yeah, that logo looks great on this cover" - when, in reality, the logo looks terribly clunky & completely out of place. Why, after spending what I assume is a decent chunk of cash on CP Wilson's artwork, would you not want both the cover artwork and your program logo presented in the best way possible?

Maybe it's becuase he also spent big bucks on having the logo designed to (shrug)

Personally I agree with what most people are saying here about the logo and it's place on the books. THe art is great and so is the logo but together they just don't work. Sorry Larry

That's a silly argument.

I've bought some of your Phantom variants and I think the logo is awful. The idea is good, but the amateurish type treatment & actual execution is terrible.

Then don't buy the books? It can't really get more simple than that, can it?

If you're entirely missing the point of what I'm saying, then, yes, it can't.

That's a silly argument.

+1

From the first post in this thread started by Larry:

What do you guys think?

He's asking for opinions. If you only want to hear positive opinions, then ask Larry to change the name of the forum to Phantom variant butt-kissing only.

I think mschmidt nailed it. Heck, I'm not even sure what exactly is going on in the logo. Is that a skull with a hood up? At first glance, I thought it was a skull inside a space helmet of some sort.

I like what Larry's doing here, and from what I've seen, his covers are rockin'. But still, it's okay to knock on the logo if that's what we're talking about. No need to get pissy about it.

I wonder what that logo would look like if it was almost completely transparent, like a real phantom.

From the first post in this thread started by Larry:

What do you guys think?

He's asking for opinions. If you only want to hear positive opinions, then ask Larry to change the name of the forum to Phantom variant butt-kissing only.

Exactly how I feel. The negative criticisms of the logo are completely valid. I really love some of the phantom covers, but to me the logo just does not belong from an aesthetic point of view. It's the main reason I haven't purchased a single phantom variant.

Successful brands modify their logos all the time. I hope Larry takes the constructive feedback here in stride instead of drowning it out and actually makes positive changes to the existing phantom logo or creates a new one altogether.

That's a silly argument.

So basically its this:

1. You decided you had to voice your issues about the book. Mission accomplished, well done.

2. Subsequently, whatever those issues or problems are that you harbor regarding the Phantom Variant logo, or Larry, or the Phantom Variant program itself, every last one of your problems can be solved by not buying the book.

That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

He could always put a smaller version on the cover. Seems like the simple answer so his logo is seen, but it doesn't effect the artwork. 2c

I would love to see a Deadpool variant with the logo almost impossible to see because it's so small, but Deadpool is looking at it through a magnifying glass of some sort, thus making the logo take up 80% of the book.

Larry, I really think you should change the logo to a skeleton hand hand sticking up it's middle finger. Be sure to make it as hideous and offensive as possble, maybe a glow-lime green color with orange stripes.

Once every few months one of the variant covers should be the logo itself taking up all the real estate on the cover, with the real variant cover art represented as a thumbnail in the lower left.

You'll sell thousands upon thousands.

That's a silly argument.

So basically its this:

1. You decided you had to voice your issues about the book. Mission accomplished, well done.

2. Subsequently, whatever those issues or problems are that you harbor regarding the Phantom Variant logo, or Larry, or the Phantom Variant program itself, every last one of your problems can be solved by not buying the book.

Let me get this straight ... I express my opinion in a thread that was created specifically to solicit peoples' opinions, and your brilliant response is that I should just shut up and not buy the book.

Any other nuggets of wisdom you'd care to share with the class?

That's a silly argument.

So basically its this:

What a clever response this would have been if Mike had been asking what he could do about the fact that he didn't like the logo.

Only - sadly for you - he didn't do that. Which leaves you looking a bit of a tit.

That's a silly argument.

So basically its this:

What a clever response this would have been if Mike had been asking what he could do about the fact that he didn't like the logo.

Only - sadly for you - he didn't do that. Which leaves you looking a bit of a tit.

TBH with his sort of attitude he is either going to thrive or sink here. I hope its the latter but I am going to guess it will be the former :/

On it's own the logo is fine. The problem is it has it's own colour scheme and font that begins to clash once you put it on a cover that also has it's own colour schme/font.

With all the logos and things that are on the big two books they are starting to look like a NASCAR.

Something simple and minimal would be a bit better imo. It should still let people know it's a phantom variant but it should be designed so that it blends in with any cover. I'm not a logo designer but If you look at the top brand logo's most of them are very simple and don't involve too many colours.

Appreciate what you are doing with the program, just giving some honest feedback. Just one opinion anyways.

+1 to all, pretty much sums up what I would have said. (thumbs u

Also, Larry, compare your Phantom logo with the Marvel Now logo on the Deadpool cover. In my opinion, the Marvel Now logo gets a lot more impact out of a much smaller space. As represented here, the Phantom logo actually covers up more of the cover art... not a positive attribute for collectors... yet the size of it is not gaining you any visual impact.

I also don't think you'd necessarily have to start from scratch, as there could be simpler/pared-down versions of your current logo that would mesh better with the cover art, yet still retain the things you like about it. (With that said, I'm a graphic designer myself; no pressure, but send me a PM if you'd like to chat further.)

Unless this variant hits one of my collected books I won't be spending my money to "help struggling artists" through this program regardless of the logo.

This "program" looks like just an over saturation of variants to me than what it's actual meaning is. I don't see this as actually helping artists out. Just my 2 cents.

That's a silly argument.

So basically its this:

Your sister's tit hopefully. But here's the thing: If you want to constructively criticize, that's one thing-it benefits Larry and gives the board something to think about and perhaps further comment about. If you just want to whine, well, then, the simple response is "don't buy it."

Since Mike decided it was more important to just whine about it, and not offer anything that would even resemble direction, guidance, or an idea on how to make it better, then sorry, the short answer stands.

That's a silly argument.

So basically its this:

Your sister's tit hopefully. But here's the thing: If you want to constructively criticize, that's one thing-it benefits Larry and gives the board something to think about and perhaps further comment about. If you just want to whine, well, then, the simple response is "don't buy it."

Since Mike decided it was more important to just whine about it, and not offer anything that would even resemble direction, guidance, or an idea on how to make it better, then sorry, the short answer stands.

Yes, minus 1.