• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long before my ceiling caves in.

53 posts in this topic

A good home inspector should be able to determine whether there is a structural issue, as well if the weight concerns you have are real and/or if there are other contributing factors.

I would go for a structural engineer. That is most likely what a good home inspector is going to recommend anyway.

Stick built homes need to be reinforced if you have a pool table on the second floor. I imagine the weight of these books is tenfold the weight of a pool table.

My house is brick

Yes, but your flooring/joists are wood, and depending on where the load-bearing support(s) are that hold up the second floor - you may be experiencing sagging. Depending on what is in the room below it, the simple, easy solution is to get floor/screw jacks to assist holding up the second floor. I've used those before in an older home I owned (120 years old)

A good home inspector should be able to determine whether there is a structural issue, as well if the weight concerns you have are real and/or if there are other contributing factors.

I would go for a structural engineer. That is most likely what a good home inspector is going to recommend anyway.

Stick built homes need to be reinforced if you have a pool table on the second floor. I imagine the weight of these books is tenfold the weight of a pool table.

My house is brick

Yes, but your flooring/joists are wood, and depending on where the load-bearing support(s) are that hold up the second floor - you may be experiencing sagging. Depending on what is in the room below it, the simple, easy solution is to get floor/screw jacks to assist holding up the second floor. I've used those before in an older home I owned (120 years old)

I dont think she will be happy with that. :fear:

I havent said anything to her yet, she rarely goes into this room.

Swap the computer room and comic room. Have homeowners. Insurance?

The computer room is really my dining room and arched to my living room and has a patio door to the garden, not practical to do this.

Yes on the insurance but as I am on the computer 80% of the time I am home it would be the wife claiming it. :cry:

My house is brick

If spending money having people look at your house is not what you want/can do, based on what I've read here, I would say:

1. Recaulk the window and watch for more movement over the next few years.

2. Try to spread the load of the comics around the room a bit - that may help. Another option (if your comics can't be moved all over) would be to invest in some 3/4" plywood sheeting to place *under* your comics. This essentially creates another subfloor and serves to stiffen the original subfloor while helping spread the load across many joists - which may help alleviate some stress.

3. Check the outside of your house near the room and inspect the mortar between the bricks for cracks or unusual wear compared to the rest of the house.

A few questions, how old is the house? Is this problem only in the comics room? Is there any evidence of a similar problem in the room below? Is the wood in the area that has split rotting? It looks dark, but may just be the photo.

The house is 16 years old, the wood is due painting but is solid no splits or rot.

The big question is whether it is only that floor or if that area of the house is sinking. I agree with the others, an inspector or engineer is the way to go. I'm not trying to be ugly, but homes built in the late 90s, at least in my area, were built quickly and cheaply. That means the foundation may not be as solid as it should be or the joists and/or studs may be spaced out farther than the usual 16 inches. Before anyone gets defensive, have a floor fall on you and your friends sometime. It's not right, but it happens and it hurts.

My house is brick

If spending money having people look at your house is not what you want/can do, based on what I've read here, I would say:

1. Recaulk the window and watch for more movement over the next few years.

2. Try to spread the load of the comics around the room a bit - that may help. Another option (if your comics can't be moved all over) would be to invest in some 3/4" plywood sheeting to place *under* your comics. This essentially creates another subfloor and serves to stiffen the original subfloor while helping spread the load across many joists - which may help alleviate some stress.

3. Check the outside of your house near the room and inspect the mortar between the bricks for cracks or unusual wear compared to the rest of the house.

Thanks for the advice Jason.

1. I will try and get some sealant tomorrow.

2. My cabinets are around the outside of the room but there is no more space to move. See photo

3. I am off work tomorrow and will get the ladders out and have a look at the outside.

1ComicroomFLH.jpg

2ComicroomFRH.jpg

3ComicroomLH.jpg

When I was remodeling I planned for this, knowing that I'd have a buncha built in bookcases upstairs when I finished. I ran lots of extra stringers on the underside of each planned bookcase. Five extra 2 x 8's from wall to wall, glued and then screwed into place made a nice 8 x 8 + beam for them to rest upon.

Then as I opened the walls downstairs I put 4 x 4 posts under the ends, running down to the main sill.

SOLID.

Holy moly. That's a lot of books.

Actually now I come to think of it, everything was okay until you sold me that X-men #94, I think that just tipped the balance and its all your fault. hm

10-15,000 pounds. If the comics are bagged and boarded it is on the high side of that number.

If you are stacking them 6 long boxes tall, then you are probably around 100 pounds per square foot. I think most modern frame buildings are designed around 40psf.

I wouldn't be sitting under it....

10-15,000 pounds. If the comics are bagged and boarded it is on the high side of that number.

If you are stacking them 6 long boxes tall, then you are probably around 100 pounds per square foot. I think most modern frame buildings are designed around 40psf.

I wouldn't be sitting under it....

:eek: Anyone wanna buy some books.