• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Announces A new Global Shipping Program

54 posts in this topic

I'll stick to my regular higher rate priority with tracking. Works well for me and don't get complaints as the fee is shown up front.

And who thinks that eBay wouldn't charge their 10% fee on shipping costs under this new program. So not only would this add a bunch of new expenses that any international buyer would balk at (that is one of the reasons I stopped selling outside the US as many buyers refused to pay what it would actually cost) but eBay will add additional expenses on the top.

Still not shipping internationally.

I may change my mind but if I do I will add a handling fee on foreign orders only in order to cover the eBay's fees by making money off of the shipping fees.

I seem to notice a lot of people willing to find ways around eBay and sell direct. I just bought two things last night and both sellers offered me far better deals in order to avoid paying Mr. Cuomo and Mr. eBay.

Had my first 'bad' experience with eBay/Paypal this week. Buyer (from Australia) chose small packet surface international, I told him it could take awhile (2 months) and he still opened a dispute. I provided proof to Paypal saying it could take awhile and Paypal did not even bother to wait a bit longer or keep the investigation open for another few weeks and ruled in the buyers favour. Grrr.

Oh well, live and learn. My buyers from international countries will now have to pay for more expensive shipping. No more cheap-o option.

Back to topic, this new program, I'm not sure if it will work..It does seem like A LOT of fee's...And eBay love their fee's...And I think that will still deter international buyers as most take shipping costs into account when bidding...

Still not shipping internationally.

On eBay? Me too. On the boards I will. Shipping internationally on eBay is like a 50/50 gamble that the transaction will result in success. It's simply way too easy for scammers to scam due to the inability to track shipments. I know the international boardies think this is some kind of America F@ck Yeah Anti-Foreigner sentiment but it's not; it's mostly anti-eBay. I have been burned far too many times by international eBayers claiming no receipt of their package and eBay has thus far offered zero seller protection. This new policy is intriguing but mostly seems like another way to finagle extra fees.

Had my first 'bad' experience with eBay/Paypal this week. Buyer (from Australia) chose small packet surface international, I told him it could take awhile (2 months) and he still opened a dispute. I provided proof to Paypal saying it could take awhile and Paypal did not even bother to wait a bit longer or keep the investigation open for another few weeks and ruled in the buyers favour. Grrr.

This.

I've had a less than 1% problem rate with domestic buyers, and about a 25% problem rate with overseas buyers having issues very similar to this (many fewer international transactions, of course, but that makes the high rate of problems that much more glaring). This is why I quit selling international (on eBay, I have and will continue to do it for board transactions), and I can't see the new program being cost effective for both buyer and seller.

This.

I've had a less than 1% problem rate with domestic buyers, and about a 25% problem rate with overseas buyers having issues very similar to this (many fewer international transactions, of course, but that makes the high rate of problems that much more glaring). This is why I quit selling international (on eBay, I have and will continue to do it for board transactions), and I can't see the new program being cost effective for both buyer and seller.

I never have a problem shipping internationally, because I only ship USPS Priority Mail (or higher, if the buyer wants it). Don't give the option for anything else. The end.

I tried that, but the delays that can take place cause buyers to get antsy and file cases. And maybe it is just me, but I've had international buyers file cases like 2 days after paying, when they could not concievably be expecting a package from overseas to arrive (it probably hadn't left US soil yet). This happened to me more than once, and (this may be a conspiracy theory) since eBay lets them get away with scamming free items from US sellers there is no reason for them to quit pulling this.

This.

I never have a problem shipping internationally, because I only ship USPS Priority Mail (or higher, if the buyer wants it). Don't give the option for anything else. The end.

Yeah, after this ONE incident, enough is enough. I'm in Canada so I will only ship whatever international option Canada Post has that has tracking and insurance.

Maybe that will spell the end of US only auctions.

:wishluck:

+1

I wonder how the adminstration fees for what sounds like an ambitious program intended to spoon-feed US sellers who can't be bothered to ship globally will be passed on to eBayers.

This could be the biggest turnoff if it is too pricey

Hopefully eBay could absorb costs into their own fees. Not sure about the cost ebnifit ratio for them. It you think that making the market accessible to more people would help Sellers realize greater prices and consequently increase revenue for eBay and provided that increase in revenue outstripped the cost of setting up and running the program it would make sense for eBay to absorb it.

It may not work like that. I am inferring without empirical data which is often hazardous.

I wonder how the adminstration fees for what sounds like an ambitious program intended to spoon-feed US sellers who can't be bothered to ship globally will be passed on to eBayers.

I do not believe that it is a matter of laziness, or those that cannot be "bothered" to ship globally that contributes to sellers not wanting to ship outside the United States.

1 - eBay has created a playing field where it is very easy to scam a seller through international sales.

2 - eBay has created a scenario where it is no longer worth it to ship internationally due to charging eBay and paypal fees based on a percentage of the shipping.

If a buyer wants something it is USPS Express or Priority (depending on the country) + a handling charge to increase the price and offset some of the fees from selling internationally.

I do not believe that it is a matter of laziness, or those that cannot be "bothered" to ship globally that contributes to sellers not wanting to ship outside the United States.

1 - eBay has created a playing field where it is very easy to scam a seller through international sales.

2 - eBay has created a scenario where it is no longer worth it to ship internationally due to charging eBay and paypal fees based on a percentage of the shipping.

If a buyer wants something it is USPS Express or Priority (depending on the country) + a handling charge to increase the price and offset some of the fees from selling internationally.

I'm going by my experiences, and when you've been living outside of the U.S. as long as I have and have had sellers refund payments post transaction/auction, using an explanation that "they can't be bothered" and would rather sell it to someone living in the US, then it spells it out pretty clearly for me.

I personally don't see how this system will be free of the same "hinderences" eBay policies have created for the free flow of trade. In fact, I see a greater degree of issues arising when a "middleman" get's involved in shipping logistics.

Bottom line is that malcontents will still figure out a way to game it, and on your point about frauds screwing people on International orders, it can happen with domestic transactions just the same.

There are a handful of places in the world where the risk is too great to carry out a transaction (especially in parts of the world where PayPal isn't available), so I can understand the reluctance others may having doing an "International" transaction, but the geographic proximity, the near parity of currency and near identical protocols for clearing customs is something I can't quite wrap my head around when sellers refuse to do business with Canada.

When talking "International" Canada should not have the same blanket thrown over it. I have yet to have an issue with shipping to the States and books I have received from the US have not suffered any "ill effects" except one priority package that had the wrong paperwork. When I purchase from the US I try to buy from those that offer a level under priority. Here is why; when a package comes in USPS priority it almost always gets levied taxes and duty. When it comes in by another method it does not.

I believe the real issue is the customers that we deal with and the trust factor. Unfortunately there are bad people of every stripe in every country. If something seems "fishy" to me I contact the buyer based on the cost of the item, communication and feedback etc. I then make the call on shipping. I have only been selling off my collection for about a year but after over 1,000 sells I can say I have actually had more bad experiences from sellers (mis grades, did not ship, doesn't have the book after all) than I have had with sharks claiming to have not received a shipment. Maybe I am just lucky so far. Hopefully no sharks read this and decide to give it a run Just my 2c:wishluck:

Hopefully eBay is smart and has somebody who reads boards and posts like this and will not gouge the sellers that keep their business successful yet one more time. It feels like they are doing way better than the ones that do all of the selling work (us) and that is never good in a biz relationship.

I'm going by my experiences, and when you've been living outside of the U.S. as long as I have and have had sellers refund payments post transaction/auction, using an explanation that "they can't be bothered" and would rather sell it to someone living in the US, then it spells it out pretty clearly for me.

I personally don't see how this system will be free of the same "hinderences" eBay policies have created for the free flow of trade. In fact, I see a greater degree of issues arising when a "middleman" get's involved in shipping logistics.

Bottom line is that malcontents will still figure out a way to game it, and on your point about frauds screwing people on International orders, it can happen with domestic transactions just the same.

There are a handful of places in the world where the risk is too great to carry out a transaction (especially in parts of the world where PayPal isn't available), so I can understand the reluctance others may having doing an "International" transaction, but the geographic proximity, the near parity of currency and near identical protocols for clearing customs is something I can't quite wrap my head around when sellers refuse to do business with Canada.

Unfortunately, international scammers have more options available to them in order to be successful at their craft. Most of the complaints I see from people involve a international sales. The level of international sales are usually less than domestic sales demonstrating a disproportionate amount and showing that the system favors international scammers.

Canada is across the border and they can only purchase from me using priority as well. Australia is further away and I have seen the "it is not here yet" claim used before on myself and others. They get offered express only. I always state this clearly in my listings for anything regarding a pair of socks to a slab or a piece of clothing to a piece of artwork. Those are my conditions when I sell something over eBay. Occasionally someone will write me asking to ship it cheaper. (Can't you just throw it in an envelope and ship it. I won't be a bother?) Sorry, but, "No." I want some degree of a safety net.

Maybe that will spell the end of US only auctions.

:wishluck:

+1

This could be the biggest turnoff if it is too pricey

Hopefully eBay could absorb costs into their own fees. Not sure about the cost ebnifit ratio for them. It you think that making the market accessible to more people would help Sellers realize greater prices and consequently increase revenue for eBay and provided that increase in revenue outstripped the cost of setting up and running the program it would make sense for eBay to absorb it.

It may not work like that. I am inferring without empirical data which is often hazardous.

Absolutely no way ebay is going to do this out of the goodness of their heart. They have done nothing but increase fee percentages the last several years. Why would they now decide to go to the expense of implementing a program like this for free? Besides, logistics, receiving, shipping, documentation is going to be a HUGE cost, far in excess of what they will make in additional FVFs.

I'm not a big seller on Ebay, but I will say that I have never shipped international - way too many nightmare stories about it for me to consider it, regardless of what safeguards are in place.

Now here on the Boards - I'm ok going international.