• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal with E. Gerber's ordering system?

16 posts in this topic

I love me some mylites2 and full backs, so from time to time I gotta call E. Gerber to place an order. I know many people here shop elsewhere, but it's less expensive to go right to the source. But man, you just never know what you're gonna get when you call? I've had the phone ring and ring with no answer, or someone tell me to call back after lunch, and sometimes after a person answers, it sounds like I'm calling someone's house.

I know they're used to selling bulk product, but I gotta think that if they had an online ordering system or perhaps some customer service reps answering the phones, that they'd do more business.

Seems to be a trend in many comic related sites. Out of date and needing a large overhaul.

Artist's choice

E Gerber

Comic Link

All large players in the market with sites I just don't get for the amount they generate.

just ordered from that about a 1/2 hour ago. guess i got lucky and got through no problem -did hear a lot of noise in the background. they definitely are little behind in modernizing their business but as long as i get my mylars for 1/2 of what BCE charges im good.

Haven't dealt with them in many years cause i normally only have a P.O. box and they wont ship to those . Rented a PMB in town for other reasons so i decided to place an order. Got 400 4 mil archives coming that should keep me good for a few years.

It seems to me that Gerber would have stick to the large wholesale orders and not deal with the retail end of it.

I Its easy to say they should hire a customer service rep or two but to have reps anwsering phones 9-5 five days aweek would cost about $50,000 a year and would have to generate several times that amount in sales to make it worth their while.

It seems to me that Gerber would have stick to the large wholesale orders and not deal with the retail end of it.

I Its easy to say they should hire a customer service rep or two but to have reps anwsering phones 9-5 five days aweek would cost about $50,000 a year and would have to generate several times that amount in sales to make it worth their while.

Probably true, and not worth it for them. But a way to order online would be a big step.

They are pure old-school. I have to think it is on purpose - I can't imagine how many times they must have been approached about updating their web site to bring it up to date. I can only conclude that they *want* to be old school.

They are pure old-school. I have to think it is on purpose - I can't imagine how many times they must have been approached about updating their web site to bring it up to date. I can only conclude that they *want* to be old school.

Agreed.

I've ordered from them in the past and when I picture a guy having to leave a busy manufacturing line to come answer the phone to take my $200 order I almost feel embarrassed.

I imagine it's the same as if random people kept calling me wanting to order $2 of comics from my long boxes that I would then have to pull, package up, and ship out.

If your time is more valuable than the sale, you might miss the sale but you're still ahead in net resources.

Not worth it.

Gerber sold the business to someone over a decade ago. I think that someone might be Steve Geppi, and that a Diamond employee runs it. It's very much a side thing for them that they don't dedicate many resources to. I ordered their Modern-sized mylars and couldn't fit any newsstand comics into them, and when I told them that, they acted like they didn't know if their bags actually fit modern comics, and the implicit idea there was that he didn't care, either.

Far as I could tell a few years ago the business hasn't been altered a bit since Gerber sold it...all they do is fulfill orders on the product that has remained the same for quite a long time. I can't remember why I think Diamond owns them and could be wrong about that...it's possible they told me that themselves but I can't remember and could be remembering incorrectly. :blush: I rather like their 2-mil mylar bags and as far as I could tell about a decade ago they were the only ones selling bags of that thickness.

I just fax in my order using my fax machine at work. Never had a problem, and if there is a problem at their end, they call back pretty fast.

I just fax in my order using my fax machine at work. Never had a problem, and if there is a problem at their end, they call back pretty fast.

Fulfillment was generally pretty fast for me as well. I didn't really have much trouble calling them either but haven't ordered for about a decade. I think I called once or twice without anyone picking up, but calling back within an hour usually resulted in an answer.

Other than the fit of the bags and the attitude of barely caring about that fit, I think they're great. Quality product at a great price. I guess I'm glad they sell to end users at all given that so many bag specialty companies flip their product.