• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have a cigar...

9 posts in this topic

I feel completely foolish for asking but only a fool refuses to ask questions. What does the saying "Have a Cigar" have to do with Golden Age books? I have collected GA since I was a kid and feel like I have missed something by not knowing this...go easy people...

[font:Times New Roman]Have a cigar is an old traditional term related to taking pride in accomplishment. Back before smoking became such a pariah to health concerns, new fathers handed out cigars after the birth of a child; many still do. Of course, given modern sensitivities this phrase probably has a more sexist ring to it given the context of birth as the mother does the real work (vis-a-vis labor), but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.[/font] :devil:

I actually equated the saying 'have a cigar' to a few guys lounging about, enjoying the intimacy of a nice fireplace, with some cognac perhaps, and sharing their cherished comics among gentlemen. Well, at least that's what 'have a cigar' on the forums means to me.