• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost Variant

171 posts in this topic

Coo - this Ghost v Phantom is becoming a slug-fest.

2-0 to the Ghost team I reckon.

Light on quantity,high on quality.

As it should be.

Don't know why Andy concludes the Ghost program is more successful or producing a better product or how he ranks them (I think it's value in the secondary market b/c that's all he talks about), but I'm excited about any program that produces good products and excites fans about books. It's apparent that the Ghost program is going for already established titles (first Walking Dead, now Saga) while the Phantom program is risking new properties and established characters in new titles. Personally, the Phantom program appears much better for the hobby than the Ghost variants thus far simply because it promotes new books instead of sucking some extra cash from fans for variant covers on blue chip titles. Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm excited about the competition. The competition is what will help consumers. Here's to there being better products at more affordable prices. I'm also hopeful that one of the two program will see value in the CGC Board folks and offer us each 2 copies for $10 plus fees for slabbing or SS slabbed books at a reduced price or something. It's tough to stomach paying top dollar for books that are offered selectively to certain retailers who are members of a club that you weren't invited to join.

Don't know why Andy concludes the Ghost program is more successful or producing a better product or how he ranks them (I think it's value in the secondary market b/c that's all he talks about), but I'm excited about any program that produces good products and excites fans about books. It's apparent that the Ghost program is going for already established titles (first Walking Dead, now Saga) while the Phantom program is risking new properties and established characters in new titles. Personally, the Phantom program appears much better for the hobby than the Ghost variants thus far simply because it promotes new books instead of sucking some extra cash from fans for variant covers on blue chip titles. Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm excited about the competition. The competition is what will help consumers. Here's to there being better products at more affordable prices. I'm also hopeful that one of the two program will see value in the CGC Board folks and offer us each 2 copies for $10 plus fees for slabbing or SS slabbed books at a reduced price or something. It's tough to stomach paying top dollar for books that are offered selectively to certain retailers who are members of a club that you weren't invited to join.

computer-gibberish-printout-on-crumpled-paper-thumb9561004.jpg

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

lol

matrix.jpg

(thumbs u

lol

matrix.jpg

hieroglyphics.jpg

(shrug)

Don't know why Andy concludes the Ghost program is more successful or producing a better product or how he ranks them (I think it's value in the secondary market b/c that's all he talks about), but I'm excited about any program that produces good products and excites fans about books.

It's apparent that the Ghost program is going for already established titles (first Walking Dead, now Saga) while the Phantom program is risking new properties and established characters in new titles. Personally, the Phantom program appears much better for the hobby than the Ghost variants thus far simply because it promotes new books instead of sucking some extra cash from fans for variant covers on blue chip titles.

Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm excited about the competition. The competition is what will help consumers. Here's to there being better products at more affordable prices.

I'm also hopeful that one of the two program will see value in the CGC Board folks and offer us each 2 copies for $10 plus fees for slabbing or SS slabbed books at a reduced price or something. It's tough to stomach paying top dollar for books that are offered selectively to certain retailers who are members of a club that you weren't invited to join.

Fixed that for you. Now here's a counter-argument:

Ghost has 2 variants over the course of 4 months. Phantom already has more variants in 2 weeks with one per week coming for the next 6 months. That's good for the hobby? And that's not sucking extra cash from fans? Is Revival not a blue chip title right now? Was Bedlam not widely talked about pre-release? I guess Marvel releases like Deadpool aren't popular either?

Andy picked a side and it's pretty obvious. Looks like you picked a side as well.

I must say that I like the Phantom Variant covers more than the Ghost Variant covers. Of course with that being said, there are only two Ghost Variant covers to compare against four Phantom Variant covers. The vintage look on the Deadpool & Fantastic Four look great. The price point on the Phantom Variants are lower than that of the Ghost Variants from online retailers. I can purchase a Phantom Variant on an average of $9.99 per book while Ghost Variants average is $19.99. I don't know what the print run of either program is even though Bleeding Cool did say that Walking Dead #101 Ghost had a print run of 4,000-5,000 and I believe Deadpool #1 had a print run of 3,000. I will continue to pick up the Phantom Variants because I like the cover art and I enjoy putting together the set and if there is a Ghost Variant that comes out that I like I will do the same, especially if it has Deadpool as that is my son's favorite character.

70's Michonne cover is one of the best recent Walking Dead covers and the Saga #7 Stalk cover looks amazing! I also like that the logo doesn't distract from the cover like the Phantom variant does.

Then there is the way the Ghost variant is released. Only on the day before do we see anything about it and comes as a surprise like a ghost would. I'm a big fan!

A little birdie told me a ghost variant comes out next week...

They wouldnt tell me which one it was though...

Saga #7

Yeah, I let the cat out of the bag Saturday...

Oopsie..

The next one is My Little Pony shipping 11-28

Mmmmm. The butthurt is strong in this one.

>>Then there is the way the Ghost variant is released. Only on the day before do we see anything about it and comes as a surprise like a ghost would. I'm a big fan!<<

Obviously, I could do this too, but have decided on the Thursday before release to allow fans fair & ample time to plan accordingly.

>>Then there is the way the Ghost variant is released. Only on the day before do we see anything about it and comes as a surprise like a ghost would. I'm a big fan!<<

Obviously, I could do this too, but have decided on the Thursday before release to allow fans fair & ample time to plan accordingly.

I like the previews. Once I saw that Deadpool one I quickly contacted Joe at Graham Crackers for them and before he had time to announce it, I refreshed my page and it was available for sale on his site. The preview of the cover does create some excitement or at least in this household. lol

I like the previews. Once I saw that Deadpool one I quickly contacted Joe at Graham Crackers for them and before he had time to announce it, I refreshed my page and it was available for sale on his site. The preview of the cover does create some excitement or at least in this household. lol

Tonight's TWO are my favorites to date...

:0

I understand wanting to be prepared but the mystery of the Ghost variant is very cool! The perfect name for it really.

I like the mystery aspect, it's pretty creative & original.

Just decided to try what I believe is a bit more fan friendly approach.

Both strategies seem to be working..