• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do CGC books cost more?

39 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am slowly getting myself back into comic book collecting. One ting I would love to do is own a complete set of Marvel's 1980's Transformers run. To do this I have turned to eBay and have slowly been hunting down the books missing in my collection. In my search I have discovered CGC graded books and I am a little puzzled as to why these books cost so much more then the non graded books.

For Example, based on my research I would say on a good day a mint/near mint copy of Marvels 1980's Transformers #1 might go for $40.00. But I am often seeing the same book in a CGC graded case going for over $200.00. I am just trying to understand why it would cost so much more? I understand paying more for a graded and protected comic book. That makes sense. But $150 more?

I hope you all can school me a little bit on this because I am at a loss.

Because when you buy CGC graded, you know pretty much exactly what you're getting. Fairly graded book.

When you buy raw off ebay, you know pretty much exactly what you're getting. Screwed.

Because when you buy CGC graded, you know pretty much exactly what you're getting. Fairly graded book.

When you buy raw off ebay, you know pretty much exactly what you're getting. Screwed.

Find a successful balance between this and "buy the book, not the label" and you're a solid collector who can think for himself. :)

When you're talking 9.8s and such, the differences in grade are so minuscule that non-CGC comics aren't taken horribly seriously. Conversely, people go gaga for CGC 9.8s.

His example of +$150 "slab tax" isn't a guaranteed "screwed"? (shrug)

I've never understood that argument for post-70s books. Like there aren't reputable dealers who couldn't find him a Transformers #1 in grade?

My guess is people just like shiny things and convenience. It's much easier to want, see, buy and leave research and smart shopping for another time.

All you're getting from a CGC book is the knowledge that it was graded by at least three people, none of which have any vested interest in the sale/purchase/value of the book. This knowledge imparts higher value for a book in the marketplace than a raw book in similar condition in almost all cases.

Also, and this is probably not at all an issue for the run you're going after, you're getting a high-quality restoration check.

Hi All,

I am slowly getting myself back into comic book collecting. One ting I would love to do is own a complete set of Marvel's 1980's Transformers run. To do this I have turned to eBay and have slowly been hunting down the books missing in my collection. In my search I have discovered CGC graded books and I am a little puzzled as to why these books cost so much more then the non graded books.

For Example, based on my research I would say on a good day a mint/near mint copy of Marvels 1980's Transformers #1 might go for $40.00. But I am often seeing the same book in a CGC graded case going for over $200.00. I am just trying to understand why it would cost so much more? I understand paying more for a graded and protected comic book. That makes sense. But $150 more?

I hope you all can school me a little bit on this because I am at a loss.

Manufactured collectibles

All you're getting from a CGC book is the knowledge that it was graded by at least three people, none of which have any vested interest in the sale/purchase/value of the book. This knowledge imparts higher value for a book in the marketplace than a raw book in similar condition in almost all cases.

Also, and this is probably not at all an issue for the run you're going after, you're getting a high-quality restoration check.

+1

CGC is a more useful resource when dealing with high-dollar gold, silver, and bronze. Also, the resto check is pretty critical when you start getting into spendy books.

But for Transformers, a raw run seems to me the way to go.

Maybe its because I am new, but I really would not mind owning a few key issues of Transformers that have been CGC graded. But at least now I feel educated and know not to overpay for something like that.

+1

CGC is a more useful resource when dealing with high-dollar gold, silver, and bronze. Also, the resto check is pretty critical when you start getting into spendy books.

But for Transformers, a raw run seems to me the way to go.

Raw is definitely the way to go. Graded Transformers books are just a waste of money

If you're trying to put together a nice, high grade run of Transformers and don't want to pay the CGC 9.8 premium, get in touch with Doug Sulipa. I'd guess that he could hook you up on a good portion of the run, raw HG.

Thw website is (still) archaic...but he's one of the best.

Link for the lazy

lol No offense to Doug, but I showed his website to a graphic design class a few months ago as an example of hideous web design.

It's been that way forever. He must know it's so outdated. How could he be offended?

It's horrible.