• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Hulk vs Thing?

116 posts in this topic

Other than the single punch panel already posted, here is the rest of the Hulk/Thing fight from FF12. Battle? Skirmish? You decide.

FF12HulkThing.jpg

Maybe Stan should decide this one, although he does say its a

"MIND-STAGGERING BATTLE" in the last panel above.

Obviously FF#12 is the first Hulk Thing fight. Yes the fight in #25-26 is more epic but that doesn't make it first.

+ 1.........and the sales figures kind of bear that out. Both are incredibly awesome books. The 25 does fit the bill of a true headliner, however. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Obviously FF#12 is the first Hulk Thing fight. Yes the fight in #25-26 is more epic but that doesn't make it first.

+ 1.........and the sales figures kind of bear that out. Both are incredibly awesome books. The 25 does fit the bill of a true headliner, however. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

True Jimbo but the FF 12 also has the fact that its the 1st every Marvel cross over helping bump its figures up as well.

I went to the bar yesterday. I had a couple of drinks and then suddenly this guy sitting across from me and my friends comes over to where we were and knocks all my buds over. I hit him back, he fell back against the wall and then he threw a table at me. We charged at each other and collided then the FIGHT got broken up.

Yes it was a FIGHT

I went to the bar yesterday. I had a couple of drinks and then suddenly this guy sitting across from me and my friends comes over to where we were and knocks all my buds over. I hit him back, he fell back against the wall and then he threw a table at me. We charged at each other and collided then the FIGHT got broken up.

Yes it was a FIGHT

Was he a bama fan?

I believe that this is the perspective that Overstreet and CGC have. I share this view:

The Hulk fought the Fantastic Four in issue 12. That battle included the Thing. But it was not a Hulk Vs Thing battle.

As I recall the story, all of the other members of the FF were sick in issue 25. It was truly a battle just between the Hulk and the Thing.

I believe the distinction is important and accurate. The first Hulk Vs Thing battle is FF 25. The first time the Fantastic Four and the Hulk battle - which includes some punches thrown between the Hulk and the Thing - is FF 12.

I wish I could reread 12, 25 & 26...I sold my original FF run (2-220 or so) about 30 years ago and miss them all. (#1 is high up on the very short list of books I'm after now.)

Anyway, this whole thing has taken on quite a bit more of a life than I ever planned. My thinking when I first posted in the sales thread was, if I bought the 25 thinking oh boy, the first Thing / Hulk fight/battle/skirmish/fracas/slap fight/whatever, then I saw #12, I would feel deceived. Not in a major way (or my post would have been more negative), but to me he simply had his facts wrong. He makes a good argument and considering the slab note I'm sure he wasn't out to deceive anyone... but arguing minutiae is part of the comic universe, especially in a forum (although probably not a sales forum).

I should have just pm'd him, and I wish him well with his sale (and I think all this nonsense generated a few extra page views for him).

I still think I'm right, but I also think the first time Wolverine appeared is the first appearance of Wolverine.

Pick up some cheaper readers of the stories.

Marvel Greatest Comics 29 is FF 12

FF annual 4 reprints FF 25-26

There is a megazine that came out a few years ago that reprints FF 25-26, FF 112, and Marvel Feature 11

I believe that this is the perspective that Overstreet and CGC have. I share this view:

The Hulk fought the Fantastic Four in issue 12. That battle included the Thing. But it was not a Hulk Vs Thing battle.

As I recall the story, all of the other members of the FF were sick in issue 25. It was truly a battle just between the Hulk and the Thing.

I believe the distinction is important and accurate. The first Hulk Vs Thing battle is FF 25. The first time the Fantastic Four and the Hulk battle - which includes some punches thrown between the Hulk and the Thing - is FF 12.

(thumbs u

FF 12 is the first fight. No debate about it.

As for posting in someone's "tumbleweed" thread...not cool.

I thought the same as Mackenzie when I saw the thread...not a correct listing as FF12 is the first not 25 but I didn't post anything about it in the thread. Why? Who cares which is the first battle? If DScott was listing something with intent to scam someone then I can see the need to correct the thread.

He wasn't and it wasn't necessary in my opinion.

Oh and it's FF12!

:)

FF 12 is the first fight. No debate about it.

As for posting in someone's "tumbleweed" thread...not cool.

I thought the same as Mackenzie when I saw the thread...not a correct listing as FF12 is the first not 25 but I didn't post anything about it in the thread. Why? Who cares which is the first battle? If DScott was listing something with intent to scam someone then I can see the need to correct the thread.

He wasn't and it wasn't necessary in my opinion.

Oh and it's FF12!

:)

I agree,and I do believe Hulk 180 doesn't get enough love as a first appearance either.

... I do believe Hulk 180 doesn't get enough love as a first appearance either.

I agree, and sometimes wonder if it might not be a bad idea to grab a few HG copies, as the hobby does evolve over time (remember when resto wasn't that bad?) and opinions and valuation may change. Granted, it's not much of a first appearance, but it is literally the first time he appears.

I am glad the thread has legs. After rereading them last night I am still sticking with #25. Also I should just point out that the Tumble Weed sales thread had only been active for about 6 hours before you posted as I started it at midnight.

I have also received 3 PMs about the book as well. Just because a thread doesnt interest you or look booming to your eyes is no reason, as Marc stated above, to derail it.

I am glad the thread has legs. After rereading them last night I am still sticking with #25. Also I should just point out that the Tumble Weed sales thread had only been active for about 6 hours before you posted as I started it at midnight.

I have also received 3 PMs about the book as well. Just because a thread doesnt interest you or look booming to your eyes is no reason, as Marc stated above, to derail it.

It's totally correct to list FF 25 as the first Hulk Vs Thing battle when selling the book - because that is how it is listed in the OPG and by CGC. The nuanced debate about whether or not FF 12 should be considered their first battle is something for the far more serious than the norm comic book collectors to engage in online and in comic book shops over the weekend. The sales thread is 100% accurate.

"Hulk Vs xxxx...." became a staple of the Marvel Universe. The plot line is straight forward - Hulk Vs Thing, Hulk Vs Thor, Hulk Vs Sub-Mariner, Hulk Vs Spider-Man, Hulk Vs whoever - going at it mano-a-mano - for much or most of an entire issue. With that being the standard, then FF 25 was clearly the first. There is plenty to like about FF 12. Add to that list a prequel of great Hulk Vs... battles to come if you like.

It sounds like the OP regrets having derailed the sales thread. I've said things on the boards I've regretted as well. Probably most of us have - or will if we comment long and often enough.

Oh - and I'll weigh in - Hulk 180 is overlooked. As cameo first appearances go it's pretty fair size cameo. Not like say a Darksied with one tiny little panel.

It's totally correct to list FF 25 as the first Hulk Vs Thing battle when selling the book - because that is how it is listed in the OPG and by CGC. The nuanced debate about whether or not FF 12 should be considered their first battle is something for the far more serious than the norm comic book collectors to engage in online and in comic book shops over the weekend. The sales thread is 100% accurate.

"Hulk Vs xxxx...." became a staple of the Marvel Universe. The plot line is straight forward - Hulk Vs Thing, Hulk Vs Thor, Hulk Vs Sub-Mariner, Hulk Vs Spider-Man, Hulk Vs whoever - going at it mano-a-mano - for much or most of an entire issue. With that being the standard, then FF 25 was clearly the first. There is plenty to like about FF 12. Add to that list a prequel of great Hulk Vs... battles to come if you like.

It sounds like the OP regrets having derailed the sales thread. I've said things on the boards I've regretted as well. Probably most of us have - or will if we comment long and often enough.

Oh - and I'll weigh in - Hulk 180 is overlooked. As cameo first appearances go it's pretty fair size cameo. Not like say a Darksied with one tiny little panel.

This is my thinking as well Tony