• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Hulk vs Thing?

116 posts in this topic

... I do believe Hulk 180 doesn't get enough love as a first appearance either.

I agree, and sometimes wonder if it might not be a bad idea to grab a few HG copies, as the hobby does evolve over time (remember when resto wasn't that bad?) and opinions and valuation may change. Granted, it's not much of a first appearance, but it is literally the first time he appears.

.....actually, resto stigma is an example of the hobby DEvolving.....GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The first fight/battle is 12, there is no question about it. CGC/overstreet are wrong if they say different. It's more than just a difference of opinion (in my opinion lol). I do believe there are other books they are wrong on as well, and have been told they wrong but they keep listing them as is. First Lois Lane cover comes to mind.

As for the sale's thread, which I didn't see, I think it would have been fine to say "Overstreet lists as first Hulk/Thing battle". It's all possible the seller didn't know when the first battle was and was relying on OS, or maybe even has a different "opinion".

The first fight/battle is 12, there is no question about it. CGC/overstreet are wrong if they say different. It's more than just a difference of opinion (in my opinion lol). I do believe there are other books they are wrong on as well, and have been told they wrong but they keep listing them as is. First Lois Lane cover comes to mind.

As for the sale's thread, which I didn't see, I think it would have been fine to say "Overstreet lists as first Hulk/Thing battle". It's all possible the seller didn't know when the first battle was and was relying on OS, or maybe even has a different "opinion".

.....which is absolutely fine. I actually DO see the argument for 25......but 12 can't really be swept under the rug. The flaw here is simply in a lack of details on the label perhaps. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have to admit being puzzled by this debate or even that there is a debate. The pages from FF #12 showing Hulk fighting Thing were posted right in this thread. There they are, fighting. FF #25 is a very cool book for all sorts of reasons, but it's just simply not the first time they fought.

I have to admit being puzzled by this debate or even that there is a debate. The pages from FF #12 showing Hulk fighting Thing were posted right in this thread. There they are, fighting. FF #25 is a very cool book for all sorts of reasons, but it's just simply not the first time they fought.

Then I suggest you take a reread of the thread starting with the 1st post perhaps then you will understand the questions/points made on the topic. Just trying to help you get a grasp for the discussion (thumbs u

Then I suggest you take a reread of the thread starting with the 1st post perhaps then you will understand the questions/points made on the topic. Just trying to help you get a grasp for the discussion (thumbs u

Oh, I've read the whole thread. No offense meant to people on the FF #25 side of things, but their arguments seem like a comic book version of the emperor's new clothes. If we all agree that we aren't clearly seeing Thing fighting Hulk in #12, then #25 can be declared their first fight. ???

I just have a hard time ignoring the evidence of my own eyes. There's a page right there of them fighting each other, so for me, I don't see how semantics over whether it's a battle or a fight or a skirmish can trump that clear evidence.

Unless CGC labels #12 as their First Kerfuffle... hm

Oh, I've read the whole thread. No offense meant to people on the FF #25 side of things, but their arguments seem like a comic book version of the emperor's new clothes. If we all agree that we aren't clearly seeing Thing fighting Hulk in #12, then #25 can be declared their first fight. ???

I just have a hard time ignoring the evidence of my own eyes. There's a page right there of them fighting each other, so for me, I don't see how semantics over whether it's a battle or a fight or a skirmish can trump that clear evidence.

I think 12 is just labeled as a cross over where as 25 is the fight. Hence the debate to each his own. We are all entitled to our opinions on the fact that is what makes the hobby fun.

Not to fan the flames anymore, but I think Stan the Man's use of

"mind staggering battle" in the last panel might mean this was a battle hm

Nuff said!

:preach:

12 is the first battle, 25 is the first fight. Fair enuff?

I think 12 is just labeled as a cross over where as 25 is the fight. Hence the debate to each his own. We are all entitled to our opinions on the fact that is what makes the hobby fun.

Well, if the first designated fight between hulk/thing was in Hulk's own title(where it's just the thing and no other FF members in the book/fight) then I'd see it debatable but both fights are in the FF run, so my vote goes to FF12.

Overstreet #12 lists FF 12 as the FFvs the Hulk, while issues 25 and 26 are listed as The Thing vs The Hulk. Interestingly, issues 25 nd 26 are not broken out in price from issues 21 thru 30, all of which have a MINT price of $40.

Overstreet 42 lists FF12 asFFvs The Hulk( first meeting) 1st Hulk crossover and tied with Spiderman 1 for first Marvel crossover.

FF25 is listed as The Hulk vs The Thing( 1st battle) also as the 3rd Avengers crossover, and it notes that as this issue takes place between Avengers 4 and 5, that its the 2nd appearence of Captain America- something CGC omits.

Near Mint minus copies are listed for $1650.

The Comic Book Price Guide( from the CGC folks) lists FF 12 as Thing vs Hulk, and FF 25 as simply an Avengers appearance.

I'll take a shot.

I believe FF 112 was their next fight, then they hooked up again in an issue of Hulk- Edited- it was issue 122.

In the later Bronze age they had a battle where they reversed minds and fought in each others bodies. That was in the thirty five cent title called Marvel Super Stars or something to that effect- It was the first issue of marvels short lived Giant Sized books, and next they alternatley fought then teamed up in FF 166/ 167.

Thats from memory and could be wrong.

Semantics.

I personally don't care how far the Hulk stretched Mister Fantastic or blew the Torch's flame out but I do care when he and Mr. Grimm exchanged punches. That's the stuff comic book wet dreams are made of, even if it was just a couple of panels.

Battle? Fight? Arm wrestle?

I don't care what OSPG or CGC say, my picture story book shows me that the Thing and Hulk fought and exchanged blows in FF #12 - that's good enough for me.

Just when you thought a conversation couldn't get any more nerdy.

:facepalm: