• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story

184 posts in this topic

Thanks for the link. I have learned more from that one article than from the first 100 pages of this book.

Thanks indeed. I haven’t read the book, but his review is what suspected it would be like. I’ll just wait and read a library copy.

This critic appears to have an agenda. It's very easy to attack someone elses book. If it was such an easy undertaking why has no one else published similar in content to this?

Thanks for the link. I have learned more from that one article than from the first 100 pages of this book.

Thanks indeed. I haven’t read the book, but his review is what suspected it would be like. I’ll just wait and read a library copy.

This critic appears to have an agenda. It's very easy to attack someone elses book. If it was such an easy undertaking why has no one else published similar in content to this?

The review is a bit harsh, but it does make some valid points. Maybe someday we'll get a War and Peace sized telling of the story, but until then this isn't a bad place to start.

I started reading the book and I think that it's good but not great. Yes, its very interesting but its not as insightful as I had hoped. It's more like you are sitting down with the guy over dinner and he's telling you stories.

As returner noted, it is "funny" to read a quote from one creator about how he created a character from scratch and then read a counter quote from the co-creator basically contradicting what the other creator said.

The fact is that everyone got screwed except for the publisher.

Martin Goodman was really the genuis. For a multimillionaire he sure doesn`t ever get talked about as being the one who bankrolled the Marvel empire.

Goodman was no genius.

His philosophy was to find out what was being published that was popular, copy it, and glut the market with the same kind of product.

He had no respect for artists, and yet Kirby essentially saved Marvel when Goodman told Stan to try and copy the success DC was having with a return to superheroes. Despite that, he'd go out of his way to screw Kirby from getting the credit and compensation he deserved.

That's not a genius, that's a scoundrel.

Four years before that Goodman practically had to shut down the company because of a poor business decision to use American News as a distributor who shut down a year later. (They were under investigation for shady dealings)

He then had to sign a distribution deal with DC Comics(!) that limited his output to 8 titles a month.

He left so much money on the table by not finding the right deal to market his properties, a true sign that he never had the vision to see just how valuable they were.

Stan Lee is more qualified to be called a 'genius' than Goodman ever could. He at least appreciated the talent that worked for him and had the vision to see they were creating something lasting and special.

Lee, Kirby and Ditko saved that company, DESPITE Goodman.

Word. (thumbs u

I think the book is much better than the Greenburger review indicates. I have made mine Marvel since Avengers #4, I have followed all the gossip and I found a lot of new and interesting things in the book. There will always be mistakes. They were always be things that have been edited out that could have made the book better for the people who care about those things. But I loved it and I am sure that most of the people here will too.

Is Greenburger the guy who ran Malibu?

I think the book is much better than the Greenburger review indicates. I have made mine Marvel since Avengers #4, I have followed all the gossip and I found a lot of new and interesting things in the book. There will always be mistakes. They were always be things that have been edited out that could have made the book better for the people who care about those things. But I loved it and I am sure that most of the people here will too.

Right -- there's very rarely a completely comprehensive or complete review. I totally disagree with the critics that somehow this book is a subpar history. I thought it was actually quite enjoyable.

I posted the link I found from Bleeding Cool. While I do find the review to be harsh, it offers another viewpoint and shows there is still more to the story and still many more opinions.

Having said that, I think we could have many, many books about comic books and their history. I mean, we could probably have whole books dedicated to just one decade/era or company.

The way I look at it is this, the book is not a definitive work on the subject it talks about but rather part of a larger story and hopefully if it is well received by casual readers and fans we will get more like material from the same or other authors.

This critic appears to have an agenda.

(thumbs u

When I read this part of the review,

Nor does Howe mention how the Marvel Handbook and Secret Wars were also designed as ways to blunt their rivals’ 50th anniversary projects Who’s Who and Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I thought it was a silly quibble.

But then the About | BobGreenberger page cleared it up for me:

In 1984, he joined DC Comics as an Assistant Editor, working with Len Wein and Marv Wolfman on DC’s Golden Anniversary projects Who’s Who and Crisis on Infinite Earths

lol

This critic appears to have an agenda.

(thumbs u

When I read this part of the review,

Nor does Howe mention how the Marvel Handbook and Secret Wars were also designed as ways to blunt their rivals’ 50th anniversary projects Who’s Who and Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I thought it was a silly quibble.

But then the About | BobGreenberger page cleared it up for me:

In 1984, he joined DC Comics as an Assistant Editor, working with Len Wein and Marv Wolfman on DC’s Golden Anniversary projects Who’s Who and Crisis on Infinite Earths

lol

lol Nice work! That does explain a lot.

Right -- there's very rarely a completely comprehensive or complete review. I totally disagree with the critics that somehow this book is a subpar history. I thought it was actually quite enjoyable.

Likewise.

Greenberger's main issue is the fact that many time frames and events were glossed over. However, as Chuck notes above, you'd need a War and Peace sized tome to fully flesh out everything.

Just read Greenberger's review. If you are going to criticize a book for being rambling and poorly written, don't do so in a review that is rambling and poorly written. Many of Greenberger's sentences are so convoluted and ungrammatical that you have to guess at his meaning.

Which do you think would sell better/?

A a )book on the 1961 thru 1968 period with Stan, Jack, Steve and the original bullpen

B) a book on the revolving editorin chief/ rampant drug use days

C) a book on Shooters" little bang" era

D) a book on post Shooter, Marvel goes public, Marvel goes bankrupt

Obviously trying to do all in a single volume forces much to be left out.

A a )book on the 1961 thru 1968 period with Stan, Jack, Steve and the original bullpen

B)

I've read like four books on Stan, Jack and Steve in the last couple of months. That's plenty.

Let's round up that group that ushered in the Bronze Age (Roy Thomas, Starlin, Wrightson, Adams, Windsor-Smith, etc.), get them drunk and hear some real stories of 'behind the scenes' at Marvel.

As far as Shooter, somebody should put together a he said/she said type book with quotes from Shooter's side of the story vs everyone else's.

Hey! No spoilers!! :sumo:

:insane:

(actually reading it right now; just moved into the Shooter at the helm section. Wish the GA/SA section was longer though. The BA section seemed to hit just the right balance of details for me.

B)

I've read like four books on Stan, Jack and Steve in the last couple of months. That's plenty.

Of the ones you read, which would you say is the best?

Probably in order (and they were all worth the read):

STAN LEE ad the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book by Jordan Raphael and Tom Spurgeon (I found it to be fair but brutally honest toward Stan)

MARVEL COMICS The Untold Story by Sean Howe (Marvel Comics History 101)

TALES to ASTONISH by Ronin Ro (Roy recommended it on here, and I thought it was an engaging read. Enjoyed it.)

and I'm also currently reading STAN LEE & JACK KIRBY the Wonder Years from Twomorrow Publishing, but mainly for the issue by issue synopsis of the Fantastic Four.

For those looking for more on what was going on during the GA, I highly recommend THE TEN CENT PLAGUE The Great Comic-Book Scare and How it Changed America by David Hajdu.