• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

This is the most action this thread's seen in months.

Good to see the ol' girl still has something left in the tank.

:popcorn:

It's fueled by radioactive bacon sausage, lovingly crafted by wealthy Syrian trust fund babies.

Think of what she could accomplish wearing a good pair of Undos

While sitting in a fig tree.

I grok to thee

On the seventh axial rotation.

Next week on The Walking Dead...

Carol hyperventilates and dismembers 64 Saviors with a rubber band gun hidden in her spanx.

Be sure to tune in...it'll be sternum and cranium piercing fun for the whole family.

nwakU0q.png

And the Truth Shall Set You Free...

After years of calibrating myself to movie ratings, I've found that the IMDB rating system can be a useful tool. There are exceptions. For example: animated films score much higher than live action films, and I have to take that into account; pure science fiction tends to go the other way; etc; etc.

This is entirely subjective, but I've found the following to be true in most cases where I'm interested in the subject matter:

8.5 and above: I'll probably like it a lot, and will probably watch in a theater.

8.0 to 8.4: I'll probably like it a lot, and could be worthy of going to a theater.

7.5 to 7.9: I'll probably like it, but I'll probably watch via Netflix/RedBox.

7.0 to 7.4: I probably won't be very impressed, but I'll probably watch via Netflix/RedBox.

6.5 to 6.9: Probably not worth my time.

lower than 6.5: Won't waste my time - ever.

So, after seeing boardies whose opinion I respect vary from 4.0 to 8.0ish, I decided to take a look at Batman Vs Superman's ratings in detail. Here's a snapshot of today's ratings:

cE5SfEr.png

0lElqpw.png

I'm interested in the raw data to see if it will trend higher or lower with time, so I dig deeper.

BVR88pb.png

Oh man. :facepalm:

Whenever you do statistical analysis, a data pattern such as this is a clear indication that something is wrong with the measurements, or the measurement method. In this case, it's pretty easy to see that the fan boys have tried to move the score upwards. I'd be curious to see what percentage of that 31.2% of the total even saw the movie before voting. lol

No problem. I'll take the raw data and apply a normal (bell) curve to it, eliminating the bad data at 10 and 1. I could apply a more sophisticated statistical approach, but this is good enough to cut the mustard. (snicker).

6yxcjIL.png

Done. So, it looks like the movie will trend toward a 7.1 on the IMDB scale over time, as the percentage of agenda-driven votes becomes a smaller and smaller component of the sample population.

This also correlates nicely with the Rotten Tomatoes Audience score for those voting a 7.0 or higher on a 10 point scale (70% versus 72%), and an absolute score of 7.2 on a 10 point scale.

So there you have it:

"I probably won't be very impressed, but I'll probably watch via Netflix/RedBox."

And this movie is probably in the same league as Blade and Thor: The Dark World, but slightly worse than Man of Steel.

n5mNjKZ.png

6a1IdH9.jpg
What Outer Limits episode is that?

Superman Vs the Zanti Misfits.

That ep. has creeped me out since I was a little kid.

The Megasoid in the "The Duplicate Man" scared the holy out of me when I was a little kid. :eek:

2yssMEL.jpg

After years of calibrating myself to movie ratings, I've found that the IMDB rating system can be a useful tool. There are exceptions. For example: animated films score much higher than live action films, and I have to take that into account; pure science fiction tends to go the other way; etc; etc.

This is entirely subjective, but I've found the following to be true in most cases where I'm interested in the subject matter:

8.5 and above: I'll probably like it a lot, and will probably watch in a theater.

8.0 to 8.4: I'll probably like it a lot, and could be worthy of going to a theater.

7.0 to 7.4: I probably won't be very impressed, but I'll probably watch via Netflix/RedBox.

So, after seeing boardies whose opinion I respect vary from 4.0 to 8.0ish , I decided to take a look at Batman Vs Superman's ratings in detail. Here's a snapshot of today's ratings:

cE5SfEr.png

0lElqpw.png

I'm interested in the raw data to see if it will trend higher or lower with time, so I dig deeper.

BVR88pb.png

Whenever you do statistical analysis, a data pattern such as this is a clear indication that something is wrong with the measurements, or the measurement method. In this case, it's pretty easy to see that the fan boys have tried to move the score upwards. I'd be curious to see what percentage of that 31.2% of the total even saw the movie before voting. lol

No problem. I'll take the raw data and apply a normal (bell) curve to it, eliminating the bad data at 10 and 1. I could apply a more sophisticated statistical approach, but this is good enough to cut the mustard. (snicker).

6yxcjIL.png

Done. So, it looks like the movie will trend toward a 7.1 on the IMDB scale over time, as the percentage of agenda-driven votes becomes a smaller and smaller component of the sample population.

This also correlates nicely with the Rotten Tomatoes Audience score for those voting a 7.0 or higher on a 10 point scale (70% versus 72%), and an absolute score of 7.2 on a 10 point scale.

So there you have it:

"I probably won't be very impressed, but I'll probably watch via Netflix/RedBox."

And this movie is probably in the same league as Blade and Thor: The Dark World, but slightly worse than Man of Steel.

n5mNjKZ.png

in all the time that it took you to put this together you could have gone to the movies, watched it twice and had some popcorn

:baiting:

I gave it a 8.0 :acclaim:

So, after seeing boardies whose opinion I respect vary from 4.0 to 8.0ish , I decided to take a look at Batman Vs Superman's ratings in detail. Here's a snapshot of today's ratings:

cE5SfEr.png

0lElqpw.png

BVR88pb.png

6yxcjIL.png

So there you have it:

n5mNjKZ.png

in all the time that it took you to put this together you could have gone to the movies, watched it twice and had some popcorn

:baiting:

I gave it a 8.0 :acclaim:

True, but this gives me a tool to tease you guys with for the foreseeable future.

:whistle:

c0xxySS.png

:acclaim:

Oh...Good Morning Mr. Tyler.

Going....down?

Isn't it just amazing how willing humanity is to bald-faced lie to advance whatever agenda...which may be a fine agenda in and of itself...we may happen to have...?

:cloud9:

I went and saw 10 Cloverfield Lane on Sunday. I could have seen BvS. I had no interest in doing so. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane.

:D

6a1IdH9.jpg

The Megasoid in the "The Duplicate Man" scared the holy out of me when I was a little kid. :eek:

2yssMEL.jpg

One of my favorites and one the best episodes from the second season, a great combination of sci-fi and straight drama. That shot looks like he’s in the museum right before he opens his eyes. They were under big budget restrictions at that point; the costume is re-purposed from several sources – the main face is the Simon Oakland mask from Second Chance with a beak glued on.

The one that scared me as a kid was The Guests.

RMA are you aware of the history of the 10 clover field lane film. That it was a movie that had nothing to do with clover field but was changed by the studio to tie it into that movie to generate a greater revenue.

While this may not matter to some, it's kinda of a move, similar to the rush job of FF to keep the license

Isn't it just amazing how willing humanity is to bald-faced lie to advance whatever agenda...which may be a fine agenda in and of itself...we may happen to have...?

:cloud9:

I went and saw 10 Cloverfield Lane on Sunday. I could have seen BvS. I had no interest in doing so. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane.

:D

Currently a 7.8, and notice the breakdown has very little agenda voting.

Looks like a pretty good movie...and done with a $15M budget!

hI0UxPf.png

6a1IdH9.jpg

2yssMEL.jpg

One of my favorites and one the best episodes from the second season, a great combination of sci-fi and straight drama. That shot looks like he’s in the museum right before he opens his eyes. They were under big budget restrictions at that point; the costume is re-purposed from several sources – the main face is the Simon Oakland mask from Second Chance with a beak glued on.

The one that scared me as a kid was The Guests.

Yes to everything you said.

This was one of those episodes that just got better for me with time. Initially, I didn't understand it at all (just a baby really), but it scared me so badly I wanted to see it again. Later, after watching it a few times I realized that the -script was absolutely fantastic. I sought out the original source material, Clifford D Simak's "Goodnight, Mr. James," which was a great story; but this is one of those special occasions where the television adaptation made it even better.

This has franchise written all over it. You have elements of Star Trek, Bladerunner and Jurassic Park (before they existed) interwoven with real human conflicts. A highly intelligent killing machine from another world in hiding because it's pregnant, illegally imported by a collector who has studied them for years but must now kill the escaped Magasoid. Highly conflicted, he has an illegal clone created to do his dirty work for him. The clone eventually accesses buried memories. The collector's wife sees the man she married in the clone, not the obsessed collector he became. Time release poison in the clone's bloodstream. Megasoid slaughter. Yada, yada, this episode is solid gold.

This episode takes a lot of abuse because of the budget constraints and the re-purposing of the suit, but story-wise it's one of my favorites.

The Chemosphere home is also memorable, and used in many subsequent films.

LK5DMDr.jpg