• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Oh, and I'm also going to find out if an entire yellow habanero pepper is too hot for a single serving of my chicken/beans/tomato/cheese skillet lunch.

6qA6qAM.jpg

9LPki4V.jpg

ji5UqOM.jpg

H0EmZw7.jpg

QWdmN1d.jpg

HwhiSV1.jpg

b0HIV9h.jpg

lVIt3ft.jpg

Zwppmfk.jpg

nuABSvl.jpg

LPTxjRh.jpg

rdhbGcu.jpg

UwkzqnY.jpg

zis0XuJ.jpg

lX0LnHO.jpg

Verdict

I don't know what the hell happened, but there was only mild heat.  I feel like I could use 5-10 next time.  Maybe I need to leave the seeds in? hm

This is weird because a friend of mine put only one of his home-grown habaneros in batch of spaghetti sauce and it was almost to hot to enjoy.

I'll admit, I have a cast-iron stomach...but that was ridiculous.  :sumo:

8 minutes ago, Rune said:

Yes, but I prefer to speak English with Norwegians and Swedes - although it feels kinda weird :-) Good to know some Vikings did make it beyond Greenland (thumbsu

Yeah...we ended up in Wisconsin.  lol  I guess someone thought it would be like the homeland.  One thing I know...we suck as farmers...the Polish were much better at it.  They have it in their genes.  Although no one could touch the Norwegian wood-working.  The way the logs fit in the corners of the old farm house was incredible - multiple-angle stuff.

Norwegian, Swedish, English...it's all basically an evolution of the original Germanic tribal languages.  Fascinating really.

11 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

9LPki4V.jpg

ji5UqOM.jpg

H0EmZw7.jpg

QWdmN1d.jpg

HwhiSV1.jpg

b0HIV9h.jpg

lVIt3ft.jpg

Zwppmfk.jpg

nuABSvl.jpg

LPTxjRh.jpg

rdhbGcu.jpg

UwkzqnY.jpg

zis0XuJ.jpg

lX0LnHO.jpg

Verdict

I don't know what the hell happened, but there was only mild heat.  I feel like I could use 5-10 next time.  Maybe I need to leave the seeds in? hm

This is weird because a friend of mine put only one of his home-grown habaneros in batch of spaghetti sauce and it was almost to hot to enjoy.

I'll admit, I have a cast-iron stomach...but that was ridiculous.  :sumo:

Yes leave the seeds in

15 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I'll try that tomorrow.  (thumbsu

I've grown a few hab plants,and found sometimes,if the peppers stayed on the plant to long they seemed to lose heat.Have a bunch of different peppers growing this year.

Just now, porcupine48 said:

I've grown a few hab plants,and found sometimes,if the peppers stayed on the plant to long they seemed to lose heat.Have a bunch of different peppers growing this year.

Maybe the small ones are hotter too?

1 minute ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Maybe the small ones are hotter too?

Maybe?I find that's the case with the Thai chilis I grow.(Beautiful plant,but they produce a tonne of peppers.I give away loads of them)

I was so mad.Someone came for a visit and I proudly displayed my Scotch Bonnet plant,bragging how hot they were.So the fellow plucks one off and chews it up,says'not so bad'.I was impressed until I of course had to try it and was meh 

Just now, porcupine48 said:

Maybe?I find that's the case with the Thai chilis I grow.(Beautiful plant,but they produce a tonne of peppers.I give away loads of them)

I was so mad.Someone came for a visit and I proudly displayed my Scotch Bonnet plant,bragging how hot they were.So the fellow plucks one off and chews it up,says'not so bad'.I was impressed until I of course had to try it and was meh 

Ha!

Yeah, I've had bad luck with peppers and heat.  Peppers and taste?...sure...love it.  But haven't found a really hot pepper yet.  Maybe I need to grow some Ghost Chilis or something.

1 minute ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Ha!

Yeah, I've had bad luck with peppers and heat.  Peppers and taste?...sure...love it.  But haven't found a really hot pepper yet.  Maybe I need to grow some Ghost Chilis or something.

Problem is you get accustomed to the burn.When I first had regular,non hospital food,jalapenos would knock my socks off and i'd choke.A kosher dill almost killed me lol 

Have you heard of or tried adding a bit of orange juice?Seems to increase the heat.Cinnamon i've been told 'opens' the taste buds and increases the feeling of heat,but very overpowering flavour.

I’ve grown habanero in the past scotch bonnet varieties and I know I have some yellow Thai chili in the garden

Simply put the longer a pepper grows the sweeter it gets but I generally leave the seeds in on everything One habanero is hot but I put 3 to 4 in the thai chicken we make you’ll have to experiment to see how many get you the correct desired of heat

Edited by Bird

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

I’ve grown habanero in the past scotch bonnet varieties and I know I have some yellow Thai chili in the garden

Simply put the longer a pepper grows the sweeter it gets but I generally leave the seeds in on everything One habanero is hot but I put 3 to 4 in the thai chicken we make you’ll have to experiment to see how many get you the correct desired of heat

Good advice.

I'll try it with just one with seeds and work my way up.

Those habaneros are about 4 times more expensive than the serranos, so if they aren't hot I'd rather use the latter.  The serranos add a lot of taste too - really like them.

8 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Problem is you get accustomed to the burn.When I first had regular,non hospital food,jalapenos would knock my socks off and i'd choke.A kosher dill almost killed me lol 

Have you heard of or tried adding a bit of orange juice?Seems to increase the heat.Cinnamon i've been told 'opens' the taste buds and increases the feeling of heat,but very overpowering flavour.

Sort of like nature's MSG.  :)

9 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

The wheels are in motion.  :grin:

IdXATeA.jpg

sz7sGXs.jpg

"Live & Active"  Very important.  :preach:

83eRet3.jpg

Will I get my toy today? 

Stay tuned to this Ditch Channel.  :busy:

My toy arrived.  

ORXJQBY.jpg

nj6yC6t.jpg

Here's the first batch.

Heat to 180F.

nC3Sgta.jpg

Cool to 110F.

WfhCn7h.jpg

Mix starter culture with small amount of milk.

4OJQ6sZ.jpg

95fi13r.jpg

Pour mixture back in and mix well.

9Jmvxwe.jpg

Make a big mess because it doesn't pour well.  >:(

0IIv7iL.jpg

Pour it into the 2 qt container.

lylJ6LS.jpg

Put it in the incubator.

QaGhebF.jpg

Plug it in and wait until tomorrow.

OeY44zp.jpg

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

44 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

if you can create a miniature or mini me type Greggy :takeit: 

I can only do exact clones.

No guarantee he'd even like comic books.  He might play the cello and be an Olympic figure skater...you never know.

12 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I can only do exact clones.

No guarantee he'd even like comic books.  He might play the cello and be an Olympic figure skater...you never know.

If you could get him to do those at the same time that would be impressive.