• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Bird said:

I’ve grown habanero in the past scotch bonnet varieties and I know I have some yellow Thai chili in the garden

Simply put the longer a pepper grows the sweeter it gets but I generally leave the seeds in on everything One habanero is hot but I put 3 to 4 in the thai chicken we make you’ll have to experiment to see how many get you the correct desired of heat

21 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Good advice.

I'll try it with just one with seeds and work my way up.

Those habaneros are about 4 times more expensive than the serranos, so if they aren't hot I'd rather use the latter.  The serranos add a lot of taste too - really like them.

I went with 2 peppers WITH the seeds and it was perfect.  :)   About the same amount of heat from eating the hottest restaurant salsa with chips.

22 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

My toy arrived.  

ORXJQBY.jpg

nj6yC6t.jpg

Here's the first batch.

Heat to 180F.

nC3Sgta.jpg

Cool to 110F.

WfhCn7h.jpg

Mix starter culture with small amount of milk.

4OJQ6sZ.jpg

95fi13r.jpg

Pour mixture back in and mix well.

9Jmvxwe.jpg

Make a big mess because it doesn't pour well.  >:(

0IIv7iL.jpg

Pour it into the 2 qt container.

lylJ6LS.jpg

Put it in the incubator.

QaGhebF.jpg

Plug it in and wait until tomorrow.

OeY44zp.jpg

Well...the results were awesome.  Thick, rich, creamy yogurt.  :)

I bought 4 lbs of fresh blueberries today, and washed and dried them to be used with the yogurt.

I used to exclusively make non-fat milk yogurt, but after using whole milk, I think I'm a convert.  There's absolutely no need to sweeten the yogurt at all.  I just had a bowl of yogurt and blueberries and it was super tasty.

I'm going to freeze some yogurt in ice cube trays for smoothies, and keep some out fresh for making parfaits and cooking.

ZlqdeMS.jpg

z01eXp1.jpg

AA3JlXN.jpg

This is Breakfast #1 tomorrow.

1/2 C steel cut oats
Handful of raisens
The rest yogurt
Refrigerate overnight

I pulled it off the internet.  Supposedly, the raisins plump up and the oats soften because they absorb the whey.  It's good right now, so tomorrow morning should be great. :)

I'll add raw sunflower seeds, cinnamon and blueberries when I eat it.  Very healthy.

LzMLMFS.jpg

Alright...so...comics or yogurt, comics or yogurt? hm

I think I'll start with a yogurt update and get that out of the way.

I found out that the books are correct, you can only clone your yogurt starter culture once.  I tried doing it twice, and the the resultant batch came out with about 30% whey and definitely not as tangy as the prior batches.  So, instead of tossing it, I decided to make Greek Yogurt with it.  This is a process where the yogurt is placed in a linen bag and hung overnight to concentrate the yogurt.  The whey drips out into a bowl.  It's still hanging as I write this, so I'll take some photos and post them in a bit.

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

Wow...I was amazed at how thick it turned out - about the consistency of cream cheese.  Very tasty too!  You could easily spread this on toast.

2 Qts of yogurt yielded the small amount of Greek yogurt you see here.  I left a 1 Qt measuring cup in the photo for comparison.

g5SePyd.jpg

XSvkYwY.jpg

NvRBWYN.jpg

XVe80Xb.jpg

v5eZQV4.jpg

10 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Well done!  How long before artisanal cottage cheese is in the mix?

Thanks!

I've been exploring recipes.  It looks pretty easy.  A lot of the recipes just use milk, possibly cream, vinegar and salt.  I'll have to do a bit more research.

Here's a good article.  I especially like the phrase "curd-loving cheese crafters."

Cottage cheese gets a high-end, artisanal makeover

TCBF Link

This has been a popular topic...

Who is your favorite inker, and why?

Here's a list of someone else's opinions to get you started.

THE 20 GREATEST INKERS OF AMERICAN COMIC BOOKS

pyHTOGf.jpg

DuM8Vqd.gif

Notwithstanding that Gil Kane was a beneficiary of some of the finest inking of any artist in the history of comics, his sentiment is largely accurate. Inking is a contrivance created solely to save time, and consequently, money.

An invention of the Golden Age, inking for the longest time was the hind end of the industry, only marginally above lettering in the pecking order. In the early days publishers generally contracted "packagers" who produced contents of entire books for them to print. The publisher didn't care who prepared the book (aside from having Simon and Kirby or Bob Kane's name on the masthead), and the studios quickly realized that top men like Jack Kirby could create the look and pace of a book before handing it off to a less talented member of the bullpen to finish for a couple dollars a page. Although many artists resisted the compartmentalization of their job, most saw the value of time saved and the added income the process afforded. Only the highest paid or most devoted of craftsmen could afford to ink their own work like the strip artists they admired. Yet even they were sometimes forced to acquiesce. Spectacular artists like Lou Fine, Reed Crandall, Will Eisner and Alex Toth, all known for inking their own work, often had to accept other hands tampering with the finished product. Unfortunately, due to the lack of credits, many inkers of the Golden Age are largely forgotten. Those that are remembered have an output that is difficult, if not impossible to pin down. Men like Marvin Stein, Chic Stone and George Papp probably inked thousands of pages during those years, most of which are unidentified except by difficult research, hazy guesswork and tricky memories.

It wasn't until the advent of the Marvel era in the early 60's that the inker gained stardom in his own right. In time it became obvious that the inker was the second most important visual element in producing a comic book. As the last man in the production chain, he was the one who had the final word on the look of the page, and who could help control the mood, pace and readability of a story. Like an editor in film, a good inker could salvage shaky pencils, and a bad one could obliterate great draftsmanship or obscure good storytelling.

Finding a good inker and pairing him with the appropriate artist became a primary function of editors. When the team clicked, there was nothing like it: Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott, Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson and John Buscema and Tom Palmer created beautiful music together. With all due respect to Gil Kane, the synthesis of these talents elevated the parts far beyond what they had achieved individually. Comics truly became a collaborative art.