• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November c-link

137 posts in this topic

I think auction houses have to bump up to the reserve for auctions where the bidder submits a ceiling bid.

Consider this case, I want a piece and bid more than the reserve, but no one else bids. In that case, the piece won't make reserve even though my bid is more than reserve.

The only way around it is to raise the bid to the reserve or let the piece go unsold.

This isn't a problem in a "real" auction, but it is for computer ones.

I think auction houses have to bump up to the reserve for auctions where the bidder submits a ceiling bid.

Consider this case, I want a piece and bid more than the reserve, but no one else bids. In that case, the piece won't make reserve even though my bid is more than reserve.

The only way around it is to raise the bid to the reserve or let the piece go unsold.

This isn't a problem in a "real" auction, but it is for computer ones.

this may be true but it doesn't explain the comiclink stuff. I have an item where I am still the high bidder but the bid is now one step below reserve and is much higher than my max bid. In other words, the current "bid" is at $475, I am high bidder at $175, and my max bid is $300.

I notice that supercool Gulacy MOKF pinup got bumped (I believe) way up-- reserve is 6500. Anybody think it'll go at that price?

Hard to say, there was an awesome Gulacy 2 page splash that sold for $1500 this year, so I was a tad surprised by that reserve.

I had hoped that this would finally be the auction where I picked up a Cho piece, given they had some earlier stuff and a bunch of it at once, but then the reserve was revealed, for the piece I liked the reserve seemed very "nosebleed territory".

Ah well, maybe next time.

I had hoped that this would finally be the auction where I picked up a Cho piece, given they had some earlier stuff and a bunch of it at once, but then the reserves were revealed. For the pieces I liked the reserves seem very "nosebleed territory".

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I only saw three Cho pieces, and two seem to not have reserves. The third does have a high reserve.

I had hoped that this would finally be the auction where I picked up a Cho piece, given they had some earlier stuff and a bunch of it at once, but then the reserve was revealed. For the piece I liked the reserve seem very "nosebleed territory".

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I only saw three Cho pieces, and two seem to not have reserves. The third does have a high reserve.

Yeah I meant to say the one has a high reserve, the others are pretty reasonably priced. I mixed my disappointment in that reserve with a quick trigger finger on the post. Fixed.

That cho piece is mine ;)

As well as the big Ross painting.

My reserve on the Cho was based on what his marvel covers are selling for. This piece is much larger, and has a ton more characters. That and it's downright funny!

That cho piece is mine ;)

As well as the big Ross painting.

My reserve on the Cho was based on what his marvel covers are selling for. This piece is much larger, and has a ton more characters. That and it's downright funny!

That piece is hilarious, I agree.

Out of curiosity, which Marvel covers did you use as comps? I have only caught a few of them on CAF when Frank posts them.

What I thought was funny is that the Joe Chiodo painted cover has a lower reserve than this piece. :D

The Bermejo has a reserve? If it is, it's met.

The Chiodo is great. It's a favorite piece by him, but the Bermejo is the cover to one of the best GN DC has put out in the last decade. It was a real landmark work for Bermejo too and there are interiors that have sold for upwards of $2,000. So I think it's a case of this being the cover to a special book and not standing on the image we see alone.

What I thought was funny is that the Joe Chiodo painted cover has a lower reserve than this piece. :D

The Bermejo has a reserve? If it is, it's met.

The Chiodo is great. It's a favorite piece by him, but the Bermejo is the cover to one of the best GN DC has put out in the last decade. It was a real landmark work for Bermejo too and there are interiors that have sold for upwards of $2,000. So I think it's a case of this being the cover to a special book and not standing on the image we see alone.

Couldn't agree more. The Joker at the gates Splash is more impressive than the cover (as well as a bunch of interiors in my opinion) but it was indeed a landmark release.

I liked the JOKER GN as well. As far as OA collecting goes, with regards to this cover, you do get more bang for your buck with an interior page. But that's generally true for all OA. For better or for worse, covers carry a premium...that's just always been the case.

I know a lot of people find this cover too minimalist, with just a close-up of the Joker's grin, but that's actually what I like about it. Quite striking. And as Chris says, instantly recognizable.