• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Will the 8.0 JLA 1 ending tonight experience the same kind of price run up?

I certainly hope so :wishluck:

lol

opportunist.

Hell yeah. Aren't we all?

I thought the copy was average for an 8.5, so i'm in between you, Rick and Roy.

But I really don't think this price is outrageous at all. The book is historically significant, far rarer (pound for pound), especially in higher grade, and it seems most of the sales had been private last few years (hence gpa problem).

Dont forget it wasn't long ago that the dc keys mirrored marvel in price and that trend has severed due to a number of things (movies eg). The dc movie universe excels like marvel did, and I see a resurgence tothat same place price wise.

It's such a cool book, I don't care as much about price.....but I think that $40k sale was notbout of whack.

Joey

Totally agree with Rick on this one (though I do subscribe to GPA). I'd be more than happy to buy BB 28s at below $3k in 6.0 or 6.5.

Well be sure to let us know if there are any left at that price point. I'd be interested in more than a few at that price. My suspicion is that unless you find a time machine you're outta luck.

Through traditional outlets that's absolutely true. If you mean either raw copies or people who still price using OSPG alone, not true.

I bought two raw BB 28 6.0s for under guide in the last three months.

We're on the same page, as I was referring to traditional outlets. There are of course those folks that adhere to the OSPG relating to raws.....and you're 100% right. That's where I'm going to focus my attention.

BB28 has always been one of my favorite covers.......Yeah, Brian, Starro isn't that exciting to me, but all those superheros on one page, working together :banana::whee::headbang:

If they only had Flash, GL, and WW, than that would be better :grin:

I love the cover, but I am swayed heavily DC being a GL and Flash fan. (shrug)

Which DC cover is your favorite?

My favorite DC cover of all time is definitely detective 31.. It's dark, simple, and hands down for me the best cover in DC

What about SA covers? Right off, one of the most iconic is Superman #199 the Flash Superman race. That one still gives me goosebumps.

Yes that one is nice as well as Flash 123

Flash 123 is a great cover and I would venture is one of the most affordable "popular" covers out there today!

What about worst cover on a SA key book?

My vote is for GL 1, who likes killer a clown (marionette)?

The book is historically significant, far rarer (pound for pound), especially in higher grade, and it seems most of the sales had been private last few years (hence gpa problem).

First let me state that the following comment is not directed at Joey or anyone in particular for that matter, but a question to the Dealers on this thread in general.

I think it is interesting to see comments from Dealers on what is wrong with GPA, but in the same breath (sometimes in separate threads) explain that they don't report their sales.

Help me understand why you (i.e. the Dealers out there) wouldn't want to report your private sales to GPA? Logic seems to to state that participating properly would better reflect market dynamics and adjust future purchases accordingly.

FYI - I understand the exception of not reporting Dealer to Dealer exchanges below market value.

The book is historically significant, far rarer (pound for pound), especially in higher grade, and it seems most of the sales had been private last few years (hence gpa problem).

First let me state that the following comment is not directed at Joey or anyone in particular for that matter, but a question to the Dealers on this thread in general.

I think it is interesting to see comments from Dealers on what is wrong with GPA, but in the same breath (sometimes in separate threads) explain that they don't report their sales.

Help me understand why you (i.e. the Dealers out there) wouldn't want to report your private sales to GPA? Logic seems to to state that participating properly would better reflect market dynamics and adjust future purchases accordingly.

FYI - I understand the exception of not reporting Dealer to Dealer exchanges below market value.

well said, sir.

To sum it up quite nicely: knowledge is power.

Frankly, it's not anyone's business what I or any other dealer sell their books for. If they're sold in a public forum/marketplace, then that info is free.

George got smart and said " hm I'll comprise all this public sales data, put it in a user-friendly database and market it." Voila! GPA is born!

For the record, I have no problems with GPA, nor do I feel it's "wrong." It may be off on certain books but it's a seller's responsibility to know that. If they do not, the market will take advantage of their mispricings. Pretty simple really...

Furthermore, why not? Is that not a sale between two parties? Does being a dealer give someone an exemption to not reporting?

Can't have your cake and eat it too....

Help me understand why you (i.e. the Dealers out there) wouldn't want to report your private sales to GPA?

For me it is simply a matter of time. It takes time to compile and report to GPA. GPA can data mine the auctions for sales info. With static sales through my web-site, storefront, or at shows I would have to put the sales info together and send it to GPA in a format that works for them. It is actually probably a pretty easy thing to do. But it is one more thing which I would have to do...on top of running shops, paying employees, negotiating leases, grading comics, bidding in auctions, posting inane mess on comic chat boards, and having a personal life. I just don't want to take the time to report sales to GPA.

Help me understand why you (i.e. the Dealers out there) wouldn't want to report your private sales to GPA?

For me it is simply a matter of time. It takes time to compile and report to GPA. GPA can data mine the auctions for sales info. With static sales through my web-site, storefront, or at shows I would have to put the sales info together and send it to GPA in a format that works for them. It is actually probably a pretty easy thing to do. But it is one more thing which I would have to do...on top of running shops, paying employees, negotiating leases, grading comics, bidding in auctions, posting inane mess on comic chat boards, and having a personal life. I just don't want to take the time to report sales to GPA.

You'd think they'd offer to set it up FOR you since it benefits them more than you. 2c

You'd think they'd offer to set it up FOR you since it benefits them more than you. 2c

Maybe they could sell my stuff for me too (thumbs u

Maybe they could sell my stuff for me too (thumbs u

You have no trouble selling your own stuff lol

Can't have your cake and eat it too....

What friggin good is cake you can't eat? lol. Never understood that whole saying.....furthermore who's ever had a cake that hadn't been eaten....especially someone who owns it?

But I digress, my diatribe is more about cake and less about dealers and the GPA. It's just crumby (yes, that's a deliberate pun) to have a cake and not being able to consume it. :)

Frankly, it's not anyone's business what I or any other dealer sell their books for. If they're sold in a public forum/marketplace, then that info is free.

George got smart and said " hm I'll comprise all this public sales data, put it in a user-friendly database and market it." Voila! GPA is born!

For the record, I have no problems with GPA, nor do I feel it's "wrong." It may be off on certain books but it's a seller's responsibility to know that. If they do not, the market will take advantage of their mispricings. Pretty simple really...

Please note that the following statement is not pointed at any specific dealer and I am not directly accusing anyone of anything. Please do not take personal offense.

Failure to report marketplace results in a known pricing tool that is used to establish value is a form of price fixing. Any situation where the pricing of any given object(s) is determined by a small group of dealers by misrepresenting marketplace (or failing to acknowledge unfavorable results) to their own gain - can be classified as price fixing. While there are no legal ramifications in this example, it is certainly a practice that is subject to scrutiny.

Furthermore, this is exacerbated when the tool is readily referenced by said individuals in situations where the pricing benefits that seller and refuted when it does not (i.e. GPA, OSPG, etc.).

A simple economic model would show that this behavior is largely the cause of wild price swings (hyper inflation/deflation) that we are discussing in this forum. Additionally, I would argue that this behavior as a dealer long-term is self defeating for three reasons:

1) unstable pricing (i.e. pricing bubbles) both prevents both new buyers from entering the market - especially on large value items (who wants to invest in volatile books) AND it forces current collectors out of the market due to large losses or fear of them

2) it creates unsustainable trends that make investment options difficult and long-term profit growth spotty at best (i.e. you cant make sustainable profits on books if pricing is unstable)

3) it creates situations where people distrust everything and the erosion of public opinion of professional sales establishments shifts purchases further behind closed doors (which ultimately perpetuates the inability to properly evaluate marketplace pricing)

As a dealer, it would benefit you much more to input into the tools to drive uncertainty out of the market versus trying to capitalize on misinformation one sell at a time.

Ultimately anyone has the right to sell anything at any price (and the buyer the reverse). But admitted failure to report pricing in situations for the sole benefit of your business seems subject.

To the original point, in a world where knowledge is power and all the knowledge is in the hands of the seller, the buyer always loses. I don't know about you, but that seems both counter-productive and unfair.

Or after running all over the country buying and selling comics, answering emails, shipping, doing book keeping and squeezing in all the other important things (like sounding cheery when they answer the phone :D and of course family ) they just can't be bothered to squeeze another "must do" into their day.

I have a solution! :idea:

Hire me to report all your sales to GPA and you won't have to pay me a single dime.

I will work for comics! lol

Or after running all over the country buying and selling comics, answering emails, shipping, doing book keeping and squeezing in all the other important things (like sounding cheery when they answer the phone :D and of course family ) they just can't be bothered to squeeze another "must do" into their day.

Not sure if this is a joke or not...

If so, I agree. If not, I don't buy the "I'm to busy to do -insert thing-" argument.

Everyone is too busy in one way or another.

Please note that the following statement is not pointed at any specific dealer and I am not directly accusing anyone of anything. Please do not take personal offense.

Failure to report marketplace results in a known pricing tool that is used to establish value is a form of price fixing. Any situation where the pricing of any given object(s) is determined by a small group of dealers by misrepresenting marketplace (or failing to acknowledge unfavorable results) to their own gain - can be classified as price fixing. While there are no legal ramifications in this example, it is certainly a practice that is subject to scrutiny.

Furthermore, this is exacerbated when the tool is readily referenced by said individuals in situations where the pricing benefits that seller and refuted when it does not (i.e. GPA, OSPG, etc.).

A simple economic model would show that this behavior is largely the cause of wild price swings (hyper inflation/deflation) that we are discussing in this forum. Additionally, I would argue that this behavior as a dealer long-term is self defeating for three reasons:

1) unstable pricing (i.e. pricing bubbles) both prevents both new buyers from entering the market - especially on large value items (who wants to invest in volatile books) AND it forces current collectors out of the market due to large losses or fear of them

2) it creates unsustainable trends that make investment options difficult and long-term profit growth spotty at best (i.e. you cant make sustainable profits on books if pricing is unstable)

3) it creates situations where people distrust everything and the erosion of public opinion of professional sales establishments shifts purchases further behind closed doors (which ultimately perpetuates the inability to properly evaluate marketplace pricing)

As a dealer, it would benefit you much more to input into the tools to drive uncertainty out of the market versus trying to capitalize on misinformation one sell at a time.

Ultimately anyone has the right to sell anything at any price (and the buyer the reverse). But admitted failure to report pricing in situations for the sole benefit of your business seems subject.

To the original point, in a world where knowledge is power and all the knowledge is in the hands of the seller, the buyer always loses. I don't know about you, but that seems both counter-productive and unfair.

a nice clean textbook elucidation...unfortunately, no one has the right to a sellers private sales info...just that simple....

that said, I had tried to report to gpa in the past, just too time consuming (as Richard and others have mentioned)...

I agree, no argument that this is a private forum and so are the sales.

My only points were that it would benefit the sellers long-term far more to report than to not.

-and-

It is not good business practice to admit that you only use the tool to your benefit. (Which I am definitely not accusing you of doing.)

Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by rfoiii