• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

They can have the book at that ridiculous price. I doubt prices like these will sustain very long. I'm not also a fan of the cover. It's whatever to me.

Yes, I doubt we see that price repeated but it will certainly bring other copies out of the woodwork. All of us remember the Showcase 22 highs and lows and this book appears to be the next iteration of that.

If I had a nice copy, now would be the time that I would try to sell it.

They can have the book at that ridiculous price. I doubt prices like these will sustain very long. I'm not also a fan of the cover. It's whatever to me.

Which book are you referring to, the 30 or the 28?

$40,500!!!! Holy Cow what a finish.

That is a really strong price - I figured $35K would be a surprise finish.

The DC keys are picking up steam - deservingly so in my mind, what with their rarity relative to marvel counterparts alone!!

The BB#30 for $17K sounds a bit high too - but you are talking about the highest graded copy.......

The DC keys are picking up steam - deservingly so in my mind, what with their rarity relative to marvel counterparts alone!!

The BB#30 for $17K sounds a bit high too - but you are talking about the highest graded copy.......

:gossip: BB30 is a PINK cover D.C.......people lose their minds over them.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:gossip: BB30 is a PINK cover D.C.......people lose their minds over them.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I wonder why lol

I get the skepticism on the the price, but the cover!?!

BB28 is easily in my top 3 DC covers of all time.

Why don't you like it?

Brock & Joey: that comiclink auction doesn't have anything to do with your 6.0s getting a price bump on the bay does it? They were hovering around 6K....they've floated upto around 9K.

Truth be told: I think they're both underpriced.

Brock & Joey: that comiclink auction doesn't have anything to do with your 6.0s getting a price bump on the bay does it? They were hovering around 6K....they've floated upto around 9K.

guess I better not price my 6.5's at 5995 :o

guess I better not price my 6.5's at 5995 :o

Not unless you're selling them to me bro. :)

The CC results certainly doesn't hurt the desirability of the book.

And yeah, I bumped mine up...but that doesn't mean anything honestly. It only matters when it finally sells. And maybe they are underpriced. Not sure at the moment but I wasn't going to let one fly off the shelf at $5500 or so while I slept on it.

The book is finally getting some well deserved love. While I'm a bit shocked at the price the 8.5 achieved tonight on CC, it tells me a few things.

1) at least two people were willing to pay $40k for the book

2) C/OW doesn't deter people from bidding big $$ on this book

3) there's rabid demand for this issue

4) I wasn't the winner :cry:

Will be interesting to see what happens over the weekend with the new Sup's movie opening.

It's by far my most anticipated super hero movie this year and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm not a Superman fan. However, this film may change my mind....

I get chills when I see the trailer. :banana:

I get the skepticism on the the price, but the cover!?!

BB28 is easily in my top 3 DC covers of all time.

Why don't you like it?

I think it's the big giant starfish on the cover that turns me off. I really don't see any desire for me at least.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/why-man-steel-holds-key-warner-bros-future-022953051.html

Why 'Man of Steel' Holds the Key to Warner Bros.' Future Franchises:

"Man of Steel" flies into theaters on Friday carrying not just a $200 million price tag and the fate of Superman on its chiseled shoulders, but the future of Warner Bros. as well.

The most stable studio in town has been anything but over the past few months, as questions swirl about the future of its film chief Jeff Robinov and the studio's relationship with a key financing partner, Legendary Entertainment.

Robinov has already predicted that "Man of Steel," starring Henry Cavill, will be the biggest film in studio history. If Robinov is right, the studio is expected to move quickly to capitalize on its new franchise, aping Disney and Marvel's approach to "The Avengers" by creating a series of stand alone superhero films that all flow into one monster super team blockbuster – the "Justice League."

"It re-establishes franchise in a huge way," an individual close to Warner Bros. said to TheWrap about the Superman reboot. "If it does well, Warner Bros. can do Justice League including Superman, Superman vs. Batman and another Superman. It opens up at least three different fronts of potential sequels with great synergy for the company in theme parks, licensing and all that."

It's an approach that the studio tried in 2011 with "Green Lantern," only to see the ring-wearing do-gooder meet with audience indifference. The film brought in $211 million worldwide, but cost $200 million to produce.

The strategy seems to be working this time, with "Man of Steel" on track to bring in more than $100 million over the weekend, according to industry tracking. That, paired with the runaway success of Christopher Nolan's Batman films, lays the groundwork for the next phase at the tentpole-obsessed studio.

"Marvel has already laid the blueprint for how to make stars of lesser superheroes," another individual close to the studio told TheWrap.

Warner Bros. needs a new steady stream of franchises because it finds its pipeline drier than it has been in years.

For nearly a decade, Warner Bros. has been the envy of Hollywood, churning out mega-grossing popcorn movies like "The Lord of the Rings," "Harry Potter" and "The Dark Knight." Since 2007 the company has been first or second in terms of market share every year running.

Yet those franchises have run their course and its next batch of potential franchises, such as "Pacific Rim," "Godzilla" and Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar" are far from sure things.

"'Harry Potter' is a huge hole to fill, but historically they come up with the right titles that becomes franchises," the first individual said. "They play with more in development than any other company."

That includes kicking the tires on films for Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Warner Bros.' plan would be to release two "Man of Steel" films before moving on to the "Justice League," a project everyone at Warner Bros. unofficially acknowledges is being developed.

Then it could move on to the other characters. Warner Bros. declined to comment about its plans.

The studio almost made "Justice League" a few years ago with George Miller at the helm, and this time around it would want "Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder to take the lead.

Village Roadshow, which was developing Miller's "Justice League" with Warner Bros., would likely co-finance this project, according to multiple individuals.

A subsidiary of the Australian conglomerate, Village Roadshow has long been one of the studio's strongest partners, co-financing "The Matrix" films among others. Recent financial troubles limited its film work in recent years, but it plans to make six to eight films a year thanks to new capital.

The company's renewed financial vigor eases one ongoing source of instability at Warner Bros. – the looming expiration of its deal with Legendary.

Legendary has co-financed some of the studio's biggest hits, from "The Hangover" trilogy to "The Dark Knight" films, and this summer has a hand in both "Man of Steel" and "Pacific Rim." Yet both sides seem inclined to let that relationship expire (besides the franchises Legendary still has a piece of). Legendary declined to comment.

The possibility of a Legendary and Warner Bros. breakup combined with the Robinov question mark is described by one insider as a cloud hanging over the studio.

"The management transition at Warners has been noisier than they would have preferred," Matthew Harrigan, an analyst at Wunderlich Securities, said.

In January, a high-profile bake-off for the Warner Bros. CEO job ended with home entertainment chief Kevin Tsujihara edging out Robinov and Warner Bros. Television Group President Bruce Rosenblum. Rosenblum left the company in May, triggering a fresh wave of rumors about Robinov's future.

All this uncertainty is especially glaring in a year when most of its movies have under-performed at the box office. "Jack the Giant Slayer" and "Gangster Squad" were costly misses and while "The Hangover Part III" will make money, it still represents the lowest grossing film in the comedy series.

"This year has been disappointing for them," Bruce Nash, founder of the box office statistics site The Numbers, said. "They've been overtaken by Disney in terms of franchise building and they're just having more of a struggle finding films to give them momentum."

That said, nothing improves a studio's standing in Hollywood and its chief's negotiating position like a billion-dollar franchise. Cue the "Superman" theme song.

BB28 has always been one of my favorite covers.......Yeah, Brian, Starro isn't that exciting to me, but all those superheros on one page, working together :banana::whee::headbang:

If they only had Flash, GL, and WW, than that would be better :grin:

BTW: if you REALLY want to catch the wave early, I'd be searching out all the first appearances of the characters in JL Dark. If the franchise starts to take off vertically del Toro already has good footing with WB and he'll dig his heels in. I've never seen him so passionate about bringing some characters to the big screen. At first it seemed like he was talking just about an animated flick, which would be rather simple to do and there shouldn't be too much pomp or circumstance to it....but it's becoming clearer that he wants a live action movie.

With the door opening for JLA, the door will surely be open for other franchise opportunities.

Marvel has already started their phase three launch with talk of the more "mystical" characters like Iron Fist and Dr. Strange. I'm sure WB has their ears and eyes open for any successful roadmap. That said, JL Dark is on the horizon.....

Would love to see Constantine back on the big screen in a way that's more becoming to the character (although I didn't hate the Keanu version that horribly in spite of the fact he wasn't a blonde brit). Couple that with Swamp thing, Zatanna, Dead-man....etc.....you've got my $.

All they need to do is tease them in any of the upcoming movies and del Toro is a shoe in.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/warner-bros-sets-bar-high-for-latest-and-priciest-incarnation-of-superman-1200493334/

Warner Bros. Sets Bar High for Latest – and Priciest – Incarnation of Superman:

Superman is carrying the weight of the world on his back as he flies into theaters June 14.

There’s strong industry buzz that “Man of Steel,” yet another bigscreen incarnation of the iconic DC Comics superhero, will be one of the summer’s biggest hits.

The potential business impact of a “Man of Steel” windfall could be profound for Warner Bros., which needs to build new franchises that can yield the kind of reliable profi ts that sprang from the now-retired “Harry Potter” movie series.

If “Man of Steel,” starring Henry Cavill, becomes a blockbuster, it would move the Burbank studio one giant leap closer to preparing the ground for its longplanned all-star superhero pic “Justice League,” which could match the box office prowess of “Marvel’s The Avengers.” That 2012 Disney release, featuring Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk and Thor, amassed $1.5 billion worldwide.

Warner Bros. motion pictures group president Jeff Robinov went so far as to predict it will be the studio’s highest performer ever. That would mean the 3D movie, which cost about $225 million to produce and another $150 million to market and release around the globe, would have to top the $1.3 billion cume for “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2″ and the $1 billion-plus each earned by four other Warner releases, “The Dark Knight,” “The Dark Knight Rises,” “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

Warner could fi nally fully exploit its DC Comics library beyond Batman and Superman, and bring to the screen such characters as Aquaman, the Flash, Wonder Woman and another Green Lantern — whose costly 2011 predecessor flopped.

Expectations are that Warner will release a “Justice League” film within the next four years, with the timing dependent on whether a second “Man of Steel” would go first.

Robinov acknowledges the pic will establish the tone and feel for the upcoming DC movies. “The plan is for a universe that will allow for other DC characters,” he explains. “Chris Nolan’s Batman trilogy was set very much in an isolated universe and done as a stand-alone without other superheroes.”

Robinov says that Nolan, a producer on “Man of Steel,” came up with the idea for a new Superman during discussions about “Inception.”

“(Nolan) said that he and David Goyer had come up with a way of doing the Superman story that wouldn’t exclude the future possibility of including the other DC characters,” recalls Robinov. “So Chris and David delivered a draft that did that.”

Once Zack Snyder came aboard to direct “Man of Steel,” the director told the studio, ‘I know what to do with the movie,’says Robinov. “So you’ll see both of their hands on it in a very collaborative way.”

Snyder could use a hit. While his 2007 film “300″ was a surprise box office triumph, each of his past three movies — “Sucker Punch,” “Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole” and “Watchmen” — have missed badly.

This is Warner’s second reboot of Superman in seven years, following the disappointing perf of director Bryan Singer’s expensive “Superman Returns,” which took in just $391 million globally.

“It had a lot of emotion, but not enough action sequences,” says Robinov.

The exec says that “Man of Steel” has a good mix of emotion and action. “(It has) a very fresh feel, and it takes you into the DC universe with the introduction of Krypton at the start of the film and the introduction of DC villains,” he says. “It’s a world that you have not seen before.”

The plot centers on the young Clark Kent learning of his powers and extraterrestrial origins, his quest to find out why he was sent to Earth and the discovery that the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for mankind.

Unlike the “Dark Knight” movies, whose vengeance-seeking central character spends much time battling his own darkest impulses, Superman is more sympathetic. “Superman’s character is still about goodness,” says Deborah Snyder, one of the film’s four producers (she’s also married to the helmer). “I don’t think that goes out of style. There’s a morality, a wholesomeness that’s ingrained in this character.”

But that squeaky-clean image required a reconsideration — something more in line with the struggles of an Everyman to whom audiences can relate.

“We’ve seen him portrayed in the past as this kind of goodie two-shoes, Boy Scout character that didn’t feel very realistic,” says Deborah Snyder, who produced the picture with Nolan and his wife Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven.

“He’s trying to figure out who he is and what his place is in the world. He’s emotionally vulnerable. These are the things that humanize him,” Snyder adds.

The filmmakers took a realistic approach to the visual effects, moving away from the highly stylized, digitally enhanced visuals of Snyder’s “300″ and “Watchmen” and toward something that more reflected the human side of the movie’s hero.

“Zack always said it’s ironic that this is the most realistic film that he’s ever made and it’s Superman,” says Snyder. “A lot of times before, we would be on a complete greenscreen stage, and we used very few set pieces and the rest we did in the computer. Whereas in this film, we tried to incorporate more live-action plates. It was always about using something real.”

With the opening in sight, Superman supporters are fired up.

“For years, people in the business have been saying Superman isn’t relevant because he’s not hip and edgy like some other characters are — which is really short-sighted,” says producer Daniel Alter (“Hitman,” “Apparition”). “His story is the most iconic. You just have to go back to the source material and reboot it a little more modern and gritty for today’s audiences, and you’re going to get a film that if it delivers, will launch a bigger universe than any other superhero movie.”

Now all Superman needs to do is fly — really high.

BB28 has always been one of my favorite covers.......Yeah, Brian, Starro isn't that exciting to me, but all those superheros on one page, working together :banana::whee::headbang:

If they only had Flash, GL, and WW, than that would be better :grin:

I love the cover, but I am swayed heavily DC being a GL and Flash fan. (shrug)

Which DC cover is your favorite?