• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

My kid loves to watch teen titans and likes the teen titans. Maybe cyborg appeals to kids now days? So the big money guy producers want a Teen Titan in the movie so kids will also like it? It is a business. They are trying to milk alot of money lol

If books like ST110, TTA27, Avengers 57, Cap 117 and TTA47 can gain price bumps behind movie speculation, it is not a far leap to believe that BB28 or even JLA1 will (among others like SC4 and 22). Most of these are MINOR Marvel characters on their best days and the value of their books is growing without any hard evidence they will hit the big screen (hard evidence meaning early photos or teasers & trailers).

I have been reminded dozens of times on this site that DC books are still relatively low priorities on collector's lists relative to Marvel and there are a number of reasons this will change moving forward. No need to get into them, we all know them.

How much will BB28 grow and how fast before a movie actually becomes reality is up for debate. As stated it is much more difficult to go from a $500 book to a $1,500 book than to go from $50 to $300 - but that doesn't mean it won't happen. But there is no question that the pricing on this book will increase between now and when a movie either debuts or gets cancelled.

Even if pricing is driven solely by this site and other sites like it.

Edited by rfoiii

I think Cyborg appeals to kids and he is ethnically diverse which makes the entire team more appealing to a diverse audience. That's the same trouble with the Avengers and they've set to rectify that by including The Falcon and I anticpate The Black Panther will tease in #2 and appear in #3.

I agree that Martian Manhunter is more important historically but he doesn't get alot of play with the younger audiences and he's a hard character to insinuate at this juncture in the DCCU. Cyborg is fairly easy to understand and is more hypothetically believable and 'real' if you want to use that terminology. He's tantamount to a 'bionic' man with enhanced intelligence. Not too much of a stretch. Along with Batman he's fairly credible. The waters of the 'aliens among us' slant is being tested with MOS currently and I think it'll become more and more mainstream as we approach a second MOS movie and JLA.

Green Lantern was criticized for the incorporation of too many aliens and that may have soured the milk for DC a bit. I think if anything: MM as well as many other potential leaguers will be teased or hinted at in upcoming movies and will eventually join the cast in sequels.

Heck, they didn't even do Beast for the initial X-Men movie. It wasn't until the sequels that they hinted at his existence and then finally included him in the X-Men first class movie. Beast is one of the founding members of the X-Men and they re-wrote the book on that for the big screen.

DC/WB has been trying to recalibrate their franchises to be as believable as possible and Martian Manhunter may not be entirely congruent with that vision currently. Of course all the characters in the JLA are a stretch for suspension of disbelief, but on a spectrum of more believable to less there are certain characters that rise to the top. The ones that will have the broadest appeal and most likely going to be present. (that and the fact that D. Goyer is already talking about certain JLA members with MOS teasers)

Let's not forget to buy what we like and forget about speculating & price increases.

I purchased a nice AF15 because I love the book not because of the value.

I love BB28, it has a iconic cover. (thumbs u

Let's not forget to buy what we like and forget about speculating & price increases.

I purchased a nice AF15 because I love the book not because of the value.

I love BB28, it has a iconic cover. (thumbs u

True, but I like when others affirm my desire for something . . .

and of course it's nice when it ends up being valuable ;)

I have tried to keep my personal biases mostly out of the thread (and left to facts only) just because I can't be independent in my opinion (having copies for sale) - even though I can be objective, of course. And :foryou: I really appreciate the boardies defending my character!

Noone knows what will truly happen, only time will tell of course. But, I do agree with Jeff - speculators (like me, of course) have to be in the market and to some extent, can drive up price.

I wanted that 8.5 on CCOnnect so badly - and stopped at like $27K because I figured that was the ceiling. Was it worth $40K? Hard to say, especially when there are so few copies, it only takes two guys that want one.

The one point that I assert strongly is:

- there are fewer DC keys out there than marvels

- there are also less collectors out there of DCs than marvels

- BUT the marvel universe exploded with contribution from pop culture and media

- DC is only starting to get its pop now.....

- If DC explodes like Marvel did, there simply isn't the supply (like there is with marvel)

That's the perspective I have, which I why I bought some copies! But i'm more than happy to hold onto them.

What's funny is people have made me offers on the book WELL BELOW what I paid for them, and then get mad at me for trying to gouge them lol

Finally, money, appreciation, investment, and the rest of that BS aside. I LOVE this book!!!! Was 17 when I bought my first copy - $400 for a low grade......sold it for party money when I was 19 - insufficiently_thoughtful_person!! :insane:

Another off-topic observation by your friendly neighborhood dyslexic - I find it so amusing that the debate over Marvel vs. DC rages on 40 years after I first defended DC's against my Marvel collecting buddy. If this rivalry didn't exist, I imagine the hobby of collecting comics would not have become as great as it has.

I think Cyborg appeals to kids and he is ethnically diverse which makes the entire team more appealing to a diverse audience. That's the same trouble with the Avengers and they've set to rectify that by including The Falcon and I anticpate The Black Panther will tease in #2 and appear in #3.

I agree that Martian Manhunter is more important historically but he doesn't get alot of play with the younger audiences and he's a hard character to insinuate at this juncture in the DCCU. Cyborg is fairly easy to understand and is more hypothetically believable and 'real' if you want to use that terminology. He's tantamount to a 'bionic' man with enhanced intelligence. Not too much of a stretch. Along with Batman he's fairly credible. The waters of the 'aliens among us' slant is being tested with MOS currently and I think it'll become more and more mainstream as we approach a second MOS movie and JLA.

Green Lantern was criticized for the incorporation of too many aliens and that may have soured the milk for DC a bit. I think if anything: MM as well as many other potential leaguers will be teased or hinted at in upcoming movies and will eventually join the cast in sequels.

Heck, they didn't even do Beast for the initial X-Men movie. It wasn't until the sequels that they hinted at his existence and then finally included him in the X-Men first class movie. Beast is one of the founding members of the X-Men and they re-wrote the book on that for the big screen.

DC/WB has been trying to recalibrate their franchises to be as believable as possible and Martian Manhunter may not be entirely congruent with that vision currently. Of course all the characters in the JLA are a stretch for suspension of disbelief, but on a spectrum of more believable to less there are certain characters that rise to the top. The ones that will have the broadest appeal and most likely going to be present. (that and the fact that D. Goyer is already talking about certain JLA members with MOS teasers)

I fully agree with about 99 percent of the posts you make. Cyborg will be in the movie and DC presents 26 is a fairly big key that is somewhat under the radar(although auctions for the book always get tons of action and I have yet to secure a 9.8 for myself.)

2.5 sold on eBay for $725 yesterday...

Thoughts?

Sold for less than even 2.0s have been selling for, but not an attractive copy, so that's to be expected. I wonder if it will reappear with a BIN of $995? hm

This book also had 2 staples added which i'm sure affected the sellers asking price. I'd rather have slight color touch than 2 extra staples.

If it was a clean copy of that book in 2.5 for 725 I would have scooped it up in an instant.

2.5 sold on eBay for $725 yesterday...

Thoughts?

Sold for less than even 2.0s have been selling for, but not an attractive copy, so that's to be expected. I wonder if it will reappear with a BIN of $995? hm

This book also had 2 staples added which i'm sure affected the sellers asking price. I'd rather have slight color touch than 2 extra staples.

If it was a clean copy of that book in 2.5 for 725 I would have scooped it up in an instant.

Nice catch, I didn't see that when I reviewed the book (just looked at the PQ and moved on). Can't tell if he included that in his pricing thoughts or not, but since it has a blue label my bet would be that he was:

1) unaware of the price he could get

-or-

2) wanted to move the book quickly

-or-

3) a sufficiently_thoughtful_person :insane:

I will need to research CGC's policies on extra non-manufacturing staples. I am surprised that this doesn't qualify as a form of restoration...

Side point, I am not sure I agree on the staples versus color touch. I am interested to know why you prefer one versus the other?

like joey, I have intentionally not excessively commented in this thread, as I have bought and sold a dozen copies in the past 6 months... just for frame of reference, my last 6 bb28 sales are as follows (take it for what it is worth)

cgc 4.0 at heroes (was a consigned copy, and it sold instantly...probably too cheap!...I also had a 3.5 priced at 1995 and a 4.0 at 2495 and a 6.5 at 7495...)

cgc 6.5 twin cities copy...$6495 (6 months, or so, ago)

cgc 6.5 with ow/w for 7995

cgc 6.5 with ow for 6995

cgc 8.0 ow for an obscene amount of money

There are a plethora of reasons that drive sellers to value (and sometimes overvalue) their stock, but hyping the price on how a possible movie that's possibly years in the future may possibly affect the public's collecting consciousness seems rather specious.

BB28 is an awesome comic that stands tall on its own merit in my book.

And I also agree with Joey, the DC keys are generally scarcer than Marvel keys - it's not a debate or competition, just an observation. :foryou:

like joey, I have intentionally not excessively commented in this thread, as I have bought and sold a dozen copies in the past 6 months... just for frame of reference, my last 6 bb28 sales are as follows (take it for what it is worth)

cgc 4.0 at heroes (was a consigned copy, and it sold instantly...probably too cheap!...I also had a 3.5 priced at 1995 and a 4.0 at 2495 and a 6.5 at 7495...)

cgc 6.5 twin cities copy...$6495 (6 months, or so, ago)

cgc 6.5 with ow/w for 7995

cgc 6.5 with ow for 6995

cgc 8.0 ow for an obscene amount of money

Sounds like the 7.5 going for 12.5k is about right based on these prices. (thumbs u

but hyping the price on how a possible movie that's possibly years in the future may possibly affect the public's collecting consciousness seems rather specious.

That sentiment is appreciated, but ignoring completely the correlation in pricing or the potential for said movie to influence the price in the future is a bit unmindful. Either way hopefully this thread serves to enable folks to make more educated decisions on their prospective purchases or sales relating to this comic.

but hyping the price on how a possible movie that's possibly years in the future may possibly affect the public's collecting consciousness seems rather specious.

That sentiment is appreciated, but ignoring completely the correlation in pricing or the potential for said movie to influence the price in the future is a bit unmindful.

I do understand the potential synergistic dynamics, yet it's seemingly a fine line between the market adjusting its FMV or having an inflated speculative value shoved down our collective throats.

Either way hopefully this thread serves to enable folks to make more educated decisions on their prospective purchases or sales relating to this comic.

Well said and you've made some excellent posts in addition to starting this informative thread, Dan. (thumbs u