• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

http://nuclearwinterent.com/nw/movies/2013/07/21/green-lantern-2-rumors/

2011 saw the release of the first live-action “Green Lantern”. Sadly, despite the current trend of summer blockbuster films based on comic book properties, “Green Lantern” didn’t perform to expectations. Despite a solid start at its opening, overall the film didn’t bring in much more than its production budget. Normally studios won’t give the green light for theatrical sequels to films which don’t net considerable profit. With this fact in mind, it’s surprising that talks of “Green Lantern 2″ have been heard since the original was still limping its way through its theatrical run.

Lately, the rumor mill has been working overtime where “Green Lantern 2″ is concerned. This seems to be due, in large part, to the plans for the proposed live-action “Justice League” movie. Warner Bros is in the process of creating a coherent live-action film version of the DC Comics Universe. The recent release of the latest Superman film, “Man of Steel”, seems to be a huge piece of the puzzle. “Green Lantern 2″ might well turn out to be another.

The studio says they are listening to fans’ comments, criticisms, and critiques of the original “Green Lantern”. Jeff Robinov, Warner Bros Film Group President, said of the first film, “We had a decent opening so we learned there is an audience. To go forward we need to make it a little edgier and darker with more emphasis on action…. And we have to find a way to balance the time the movie spends in space versus on Earth.”

Most of the current rumors being slung around involve—as always seems to be the case with comic book films—the villains of the story. The majority of those have been focused Sinestro—played by Mark Strong. Sinestro took up the Yellow Power Ring in the tag scene in the first film. Rumor has it that he will be building his team of Yellow Lanterns, a.k.a. the Sinestro Corps. We may be seeing a film adaptation of that story arc from the comics in this sequel. Also rumored is that we’ll be seeing Carol Ferris, portrayed by Blake Lively in “Green Lantern”, undergo her transformation into the villainess Star Sapphire in the second film. This isn’t a surprise, as hints of this were dropped in the first film—via Carol’s nickname.

Ryan Reynolds played the lead role of test pilot-turned-superhero Hal Jordan in the first film. With his large body of comedic work, many fans felt that Mr. Reynolds had been miscast as Hal. In the comics, Hal Jordan is depicted as a serious, often cynical character. Many people felt that Ryan Reynolds would have been better cast as Wally West in the planned “Flash” film—another piece of the live-action film version of the DC Comics Universe Warner Bros is putting together. Several rumors are floating around involving Mr. Reynolds in “Green Lantern 2″. Some sources claim he will return for the sequel as the focus character. Others are saying that, while Ryan Reynolds will return as Hal Jordon, “Green Lantern 2″ will introduce movie audiences to one of three other comic book Green Lanterns—John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, or Guy Gardner. Yet other sources are suggesting that Mr. Reynolds will be completely absent from “Green Lantern 2″, and that the focus will be one of the three aforementioned characters.

Michael Clarke Duncan, who tragically passed away on September 3, 2012, portrayed the beloved character Kilowog in the first film. Kevin Michael Richardson is the name being thrown around as the new Kilowog.

The character of Doctor Amanda Waller—played by Angela Bassett in the first film—is also rumored to be putting in an appearance in “Green Lantern 2″. Doctor Waller is the head of a secret government group, which is tasked with dealing with extra-terrestrial threats. As the Green Lantern Corps also deals with such problems, Doctor Waller is a good pseudo-villainess for Earth’s Green Lantern. At various points, their activities are bound to cross paths, and, in all likelihood, clash.

In the interest of laying the foundation for the planned “Justice League” film that movie-goers, only knowing these classic, iconic characters from their depictions on the screen need, we may be seeing the release of “Green Lantern 3″ not long after the second one. Some sources are saying that “Green Lantern 2″ and “Green Lantern 3″ might be filmed back-to-back. Warner Bros is planning “Man of Steel 2″, “Flash”, “Aquaman”, and Wonder Woman” film projects in the near future, too. Thought is also being given to at least one more “Batman” film—if not an entire new trilogy—as part of their lead-up to “Justice League”. One has to wonder how many tie-ins between these other characters’ movies we’ll see in “Green Lantern 2″.

Regardless, many fans have high hopes for “Green Lantern 2″. The studio, judging from their comments, learned their lessons about what did and didn’t work in the first film. So, here’s to bigger and better things in the sequel!

Personally, while the original “Green Lantern” wasn’t my all-time favorite film, I did like it. However, it could have been much better. Given the fact that Warner Bros is taking the input of fans and movie-goers to heart during the development of the sequel, I’m very optimistic about “Green Lantern 2″. I look forward to the darker, edgier take that seems to be planned for the next film.

I also look forward to seeing just how “Green Lantern 2″ will plug into the live-action version of the DC Comics Universe that is being created. The ultimate goal seems to be the “Justice League” film. Given the usual roster of that group—Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Flash, and Martian Manhunter—there is a large body of story arcs and villains which could be used in “Justice League”. With the total combined capabilities of that collection of heroes, any villain, or grouping of villains, in “Justice League” would need to pose a very drastic threat. The rogue gallery of Green Lantern could easily be mined for such characters. Beyond Sinestro, Star Sapphire, or a return of Parallax or Hector Hammond, there is the possibility of bringing such nasty individuals such as Vandal Savage, Solomon Grundy, Doctor Polaris, the Manhunters, Nekron, any of the other Power Ring-based Lantern Corps, and many others in. Any of these could easily play a pivotal role in a “Justice League” movie. It’ll be interesting to see just how “Green Lantern 2″ fits into the long-term plans for the DC film Universe, and just how large a part of that continuity Green Lantern ultimately becomes.

Hell, NO! :mad:

I don't want Reynolds anywhere near the new DC Universe based on the MOS movie. He was horrible as Hal Jordan, he was bad a Deadpool. I would hate to see him reprise the role of GL, let alone mess up the Flash as well.

I would prefer to see a GL reboot MOS style. WB should stop beating that dead horse.

Hell, NO! :mad:

I don't want Reynolds anywhere near the new DC Universe based on the MOS movie. He was horrible as Hal Jordan, he was bad a Deadpool. I would hate to see him reprise the role of GL, let alone mess up the Flash as well.

I would prefer to see a GL reboot MOS style. WB should stop beating that dead horse.

(thumbs u

I think the winner of the BB28 in tonight's Heritage auction is going to be disappointed. Based on the high bids, someone is clearly planning on removing the small amount of color touch on the spine, but I think their blue label grade won't justify the high price they paid. A small amount of color touch ain't so small.

Not really earth-shattering revelations, but it's interesting that there's a youtube video devoted to investing in "BB28" specifically:

Worth a quick listen but if you've followed this thread, you're already more informed.

I think the winner of the BB28 in tonight's Heritage auction is going to be disappointed. Based on the high bids, someone is clearly planning on removing the small amount of color touch on the spine, but I think their blue label grade won't justify the high price they paid. A small amount of color touch ain't so small.

Have you checked it in hand?

No, but I was once told by a grader at CGC that a "small" amount of color touch is about half the surface area of a nickel. I can't see that much color touch being scraped off that book and it still achieving a grade that justifies the current bid.

I've been reluctant to repost this before today, but the rumors appear to be catching some more fire and multiple sources are saying basically the same thing.....it may just catalyze something:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/christian-bale-reportedly-offered-50-170800416.html

"Christian Bale Reportedly Offered $50 Million To Return For 20 Minutes In New 'Batman' Movie"

Could Christian Bale receive a big offer to return as Batbale in a future Justice League movie?

It looks like there may still be hope that Christian Bale could return as Gotham's finest in the Batman / Superman film.

A new ebook, " Beyond Batman: The Unauthorized True Story of Christian Bale and His Dark Knight Dilemma," suggests the actor is being offered up to $50 million to reprise his role of the Caped Crusader.

The book comes from Vince Russel who simultaneously put out another unauthorized biography of WWE's Phil Brooks earlier this month.

The excerpts that sparked the fervor occur between author Vince Russel and a Legendary Pictures insider who speculates Bale could receive a big pay day to return as the dark knight.

Via The Press Association:

"Why would Christian Bale walk away from what is certainly going to be either the first or second highest grossing movie in the history of cinema?

"He could probably make 50 million dollars for being in the movie 20 minutes. And it would be worth every penny to the studio."

"Sources close to Christian Bale have reportedly begun expressing their suspicions that Bale now views the Batman films in the same light that Robert Downey Jr views the Iron Man films."

The latter isn't a surprise as we've previously said Bale is to Warner Bros. and the Batman franchise as Robert Downey Jr. is to Marvel's "Iron Man" legacy.

Just to be clear, a lot of people are running with the report that Warner Bros. has actually offered Bale $50 million to return in the role. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Rather, it's just someone speculating that Bale could get that much money to appear in the film. Robert Downey Jr. reportedly earned $50 million for his role in last year's "The Avengers."

The price for the actor paid off when the film went on to earn more than $1.5 billion at theaters worldwide .

Downey Jr. has since re-signed with Disney and Marvel to appear in two more "Avengers" films.

Previously, Bale told Entertainment Weekly he won't be in any "Justice League" movie unless Christopher Nolan approached him with an idea.

Currently, The Hollywood Reporter says a few middle-aged actors including Joe Manganiello ("True Blood) and Ryan Gosling are up for the role as the Caped Crusader in the Batman/Superman movie due out in 2015. That would still leave room for Bale to return as Batman in the future if one of these other men play a different version of Bats (think Batman Beyond).

We've reached out to Warner Bros. for comment.

No, but I was once told by a grader at CGC that a "small" amount of color touch is about half the surface area of a nickel. I can't see that much color touch being scraped off that book and it still achieving a grade that justifies the current bid.

Removing color touch is always a risk even when it's "professionally done". I bought this Af15 because it had the designation of "VERY small amount of color touch". The word "very" should indicate less color touch than the designation "Small amount of color touch". I made the mistake of not calling CGC for the notes on mine. I assumed it would be a dot or two of color touch but this is what my comic ended up as after the CT was removed.

I will say that I've had two major victories with CT removal where the CT did in fact only constitute a couple of small dots of CT on the spine. It's truly a risk/reward type of thing.

get-attachment-24aspx_zpsd4fdc6c2.jpeg

That looks way more than just a small amount of color touch.. I'm wondering if CGC overlooked the other touched up areas or made a mistake in calling it very small amount of ct. I've seen examples were it had small amount of ct and it just a couple of dots.

Holy cow, that's a pretty dramatic example.

Do you mind telling us what it was graded in the PLOD?

When I got it it was a 5.0 PLOD, it had already had a little scraping done. I could tell that someone had already tried doing what I wanted to do but got impatient and decided to cut their losses and just sell it as a 5.0.

I'm betting it was originally a 6.0-7.0 PLOD.

I'll try to find a pic of it before I had Matt do his CT removal.

http://nuclearwinterent.com/nw/movies/2013/07/21/green-lantern-2-rumors/

2011 saw the release of the first live-action “Green Lantern”. Sadly, despite the current trend of summer blockbuster films based on comic book properties, “Green Lantern” didn’t perform to expectations. Despite a solid start at its opening, overall the film didn’t bring in much more than its production budget. Normally studios won’t give the green light for theatrical sequels to films which don’t net considerable profit. With this fact in mind, it’s surprising that talks of “Green Lantern 2″ have been heard since the original was still limping its way through its theatrical run.

Lately, the rumor mill has been working overtime where “Green Lantern 2″ is concerned. This seems to be due, in large part, to the plans for the proposed live-action “Justice League” movie. Warner Bros is in the process of creating a coherent live-action film version of the DC Comics Universe. The recent release of the latest Superman film, “Man of Steel”, seems to be a huge piece of the puzzle. “Green Lantern 2″ might well turn out to be another.

The studio says they are listening to fans’ comments, criticisms, and critiques of the original “Green Lantern”. Jeff Robinov, Warner Bros Film Group President, said of the first film, “We had a decent opening so we learned there is an audience. To go forward we need to make it a little edgier and darker with more emphasis on action…. And we have to find a way to balance the time the movie spends in space versus on Earth.”

Most of the current rumors being slung around involve—as always seems to be the case with comic book films—the villains of the story. The majority of those have been focused Sinestro—played by Mark Strong. Sinestro took up the Yellow Power Ring in the tag scene in the first film. Rumor has it that he will be building his team of Yellow Lanterns, a.k.a. the Sinestro Corps. We may be seeing a film adaptation of that story arc from the comics in this sequel. Also rumored is that we’ll be seeing Carol Ferris, portrayed by Blake Lively in “Green Lantern”, undergo her transformation into the villainess Star Sapphire in the second film. This isn’t a surprise, as hints of this were dropped in the first film—via Carol’s nickname.

Ryan Reynolds played the lead role of test pilot-turned-superhero Hal Jordan in the first film. With his large body of comedic work, many fans felt that Mr. Reynolds had been miscast as Hal. In the comics, Hal Jordan is depicted as a serious, often cynical character. Many people felt that Ryan Reynolds would have been better cast as Wally West in the planned “Flash” film—another piece of the live-action film version of the DC Comics Universe Warner Bros is putting together. Several rumors are floating around involving Mr. Reynolds in “Green Lantern 2″. Some sources claim he will return for the sequel as the focus character. Others are saying that, while Ryan Reynolds will return as Hal Jordon, “Green Lantern 2″ will introduce movie audiences to one of three other comic book Green Lanterns—John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, or Guy Gardner. Yet other sources are suggesting that Mr. Reynolds will be completely absent from “Green Lantern 2″, and that the focus will be one of the three aforementioned characters.

Michael Clarke Duncan, who tragically passed away on September 3, 2012, portrayed the beloved character Kilowog in the first film. Kevin Michael Richardson is the name being thrown around as the new Kilowog.

The character of Doctor Amanda Waller—played by Angela Bassett in the first film—is also rumored to be putting in an appearance in “Green Lantern 2″. Doctor Waller is the head of a secret government group, which is tasked with dealing with extra-terrestrial threats. As the Green Lantern Corps also deals with such problems, Doctor Waller is a good pseudo-villainess for Earth’s Green Lantern. At various points, their activities are bound to cross paths, and, in all likelihood, clash.

In the interest of laying the foundation for the planned “Justice League” film that movie-goers, only knowing these classic, iconic characters from their depictions on the screen need, we may be seeing the release of “Green Lantern 3″ not long after the second one. Some sources are saying that “Green Lantern 2″ and “Green Lantern 3″ might be filmed back-to-back. Warner Bros is planning “Man of Steel 2″, “Flash”, “Aquaman”, and Wonder Woman” film projects in the near future, too. Thought is also being given to at least one more “Batman” film—if not an entire new trilogy—as part of their lead-up to “Justice League”. One has to wonder how many tie-ins between these other characters’ movies we’ll see in “Green Lantern 2″.

Regardless, many fans have high hopes for “Green Lantern 2″. The studio, judging from their comments, learned their lessons about what did and didn’t work in the first film. So, here’s to bigger and better things in the sequel!

Personally, while the original “Green Lantern” wasn’t my all-time favorite film, I did like it. However, it could have been much better. Given the fact that Warner Bros is taking the input of fans and movie-goers to heart during the development of the sequel, I’m very optimistic about “Green Lantern 2″. I look forward to the darker, edgier take that seems to be planned for the next film.

I also look forward to seeing just how “Green Lantern 2″ will plug into the live-action version of the DC Comics Universe that is being created. The ultimate goal seems to be the “Justice League” film. Given the usual roster of that group—Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Flash, and Martian Manhunter—there is a large body of story arcs and villains which could be used in “Justice League”. With the total combined capabilities of that collection of heroes, any villain, or grouping of villains, in “Justice League” would need to pose a very drastic threat. The rogue gallery of Green Lantern could easily be mined for such characters. Beyond Sinestro, Star Sapphire, or a return of Parallax or Hector Hammond, there is the possibility of bringing such nasty individuals such as Vandal Savage, Solomon Grundy, Doctor Polaris, the Manhunters, Nekron, any of the other Power Ring-based Lantern Corps, and many others in. Any of these could easily play a pivotal role in a “Justice League” movie. It’ll be interesting to see just how “Green Lantern 2″ fits into the long-term plans for the DC film Universe, and just how large a part of that continuity Green Lantern ultimately becomes.

So, with interest and prices falling back for SC #22, maybe it is a better play than B&B #28 right now? hm

I think that's what Brock priced his at when he first posted it.

He keeps pulling it down, as it keeps rising above his ask.

Correct. About 4 to 5 days before the Heritage 6.0 sold, I priced mine for $4500. If I recall correctly, I didn't even get an offer.

The HA sold for $4800 and since then, three copies have sold for $7800, $6000 and $6400

So yeah.. :banana:

I think that's what Brock priced his at when he first posted it.

He keeps pulling it down, as it keeps rising above his ask.

Correct. About 4 to 5 days before the Heritage 6.0 sold, I priced mine for $4500. If I recall correctly, I didn't even get an offer.

The HA sold for $4800 and since then, three copies have sold for $7800, $6000 and $6400

So yeah.. :banana:

I remember thinking, now that's optimistic - then why didn't I buy that doh!

I wonder if we will see a pull back if the movie is pushed out a bit. Similar to what we saw with Avengers - prices spike a couple of years early, dropped after the initial hype wore off, then climbed again closer to the release date.