• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

So he is basically saying, buy now at a good price, or hold back until comic con for a slightly higher price? Either way you will make money due to the hype of this never having been done before.

Since he's talking primarily about stock prices I'm not sure how comic con would relate. That said, his commentary about WB stock is relevant for BB28 prices as well. In a nutshell he's saying nobody can really predict how things are going to roll and the Black Friday mayhem that's transpired since the announcement of Ben Affleck's role is premature.

Alot of the same commentary has been reguritated tho: Ben has grown since his earlier roles....Argo was good....WB has alot riding on this so they aren't making hasty decisions.....Legendary pictures is no longer holding WB's hand so if they fall, they fall alone and hard......etc, etc, etc.

I dunno. To me Batman is the world's GREATEST detective. He's conditioned himself in every physical regard to the greatest capacity a human can. He's skilled in numerous martial art disciplines. His mind is his sharpest tool, often enabling him to take out or neutralize much stronger and more heavily fortified opponents like Darkseid. He's an amazing tactician and he quite literally is the glue that holds together the Justice League as well as being the main impetus behind their momentum. There's nobody in the League that he can't go toe to toe with and prevail given the right preparation and timing. He quite literally is the most formidable of the entire roster of DC characters as a result of these abilities and attributes.

Does that sound like Ben Affleck? Argo notwithstanding....I can see Ben as the haughty "Playboy" type rolling around as Bruce Wayne when he's out in public being Mr. Fancy pants at some charity auction. I can't see a brooding, provocative, darkly emotive and intelligent Ben Affleck that embodies what and who Batman is. I can't seem him taking out Superman in the same way that Bats does in the Dark Knight Returns. I can't see him commanding the sort of fear and reverence that Batman typically does from the other Leaguers. Is he someone they can look up to for guidance when everything is in chaos and it looks like they're gong to lose?

Maybe he has grown in many ways. Maybe it's not fair to brand him with his performances 10+ years ago with Daredevil or his atrocious performance in Gigli. I'm just not sure. Like anyone practicing any craft with time and dedication they typically grow. With age we hopefully make better decisions and mature in the way that distinguishes us from our past. He seems to have developed in those ways considering the roles he's chosen as well as the directions he's taken with regards to directing.

I do now firmly believe that he's going to play a more critical role behind the lens on any Justice League movie. I feel personally that there is something happening behind the scenes at WB where they've given him the opportunitiy to 'direct' in some capacity (as was previously rumored) and fill the cowl at the same time. Quite possibly they've given him some back end action and it's going to save them upfront money. They can couple his directorial and acting salary in a way that would benefit both parties.

I also think he's been pushing to get involved in the JLA movie since he was initially rumored to have been approached to direct and develop. It's more than likely that he's arisen as a logical choice for this role simply because of greater interaction and visibility with the studio. It's also likely that he has some larger contractual involvement with them for numerous future projects and this was the path of least resistance. In fact he probably presented himself to the studio and offered them the whole enchilada: ie-I'll take on Justice League if I can be Batman. Already being in bed with them makes it an easy transition. Coming off the high of Argo they probably see him as an excellent candidate for direction, if they can have one with the other it'd be a no brainer for robotic execs. looking for big names with big reputations to catalyze their product line further.

"Reports over the weekend hinted that Christopher Nolan, director of the hugely successful Dark Knight trilogy of Batman films starring Christian Bale, might have stepped aside as executive producer of Man of Steel 2. Nolan's involvement in the series reboot by Zack Snyder was flagged by Warner as evidence of its enduring quality, but several sites pointed out that the British film-maker's name – along with that of his producer wife, Emma Thomas – was missing from the studio's press release announcing Affleck's appointment."

:censored::censored::censored: !!!!!!!!

That's it. All copies of BB28 are now worth $1.

I don't care! I'll still gladly pay 10 times that amount for that 8.0 copy that was recently mentioned here. :takeit: for $10 ( :o the generosity)

A buddy if mine joked that if Aflec ruins Batman. You'll find all kinds of batman keys in the dollar bins "oh look bats 11 VG copy... PASS" lol

It would take more than Affleck to ruin Batman as a whole. That said, he can take alot of the wind out of the sails for JLA if he flops. I still think there will be bumps in pricing regardless simply because the JLA doesn't consist of one member. I'm excited to see who they pull out for GL's reboot and of course WW & The Flash.

My feeling is that there's not going to be Martian Manhunter or Aquaman in the first JLA movie. They'll be teased and will probably show up later.

They've obviously been retooling history of the JLA since the introduction of the New 52.....there's even been retooling of the New 52 history in the animated releases...

For instance: Aquaman plays a pretty big role in the 52 reboot....but he's absent from the new animated release Justice League: War...which is essentially the first few JL New 52 issues coming out relatively soon.

Cyborg has played a more prominent role since the inception of the new lineup and has even been instituted as a 'founding member' of the league.

So my personal belief is that they're going to hold off on what they consider 'non-critical' characters at the start of the JLA movie to make it less confusing. Sort of like the way Marvel has held off on introducing characters like H. Pym (Giantman/Antman), The Falcon and The Vision until later in their franchise development.

You'll see Supes and Bats, GL for sure and WW of course. They've been trying to get WW back on the small and big screen for some time without success. With the backup from other more 'well established' characters they'll be able to showcase her for sure. GL they'll more than likely reboot and my personally feeling is that it's not going to be Hal Jordan coming back. It'll be a later incarnation. Since they're almost 100% going to include Cyborg in the roster, they've got their more 'ethnically diverse' character in the mix already, so the new GL won't be Stewart. It'll probably be Kyle R. With the moves they're making lately at WB I wouldn't even be surprised if it was Simon Baz as the 'new lantern'...especially with the politically correct climate of the world these days. That would attract an entirely new generation of interest and the league wouldn't be viewed as "American" centric. It might additionally get some excellent press, and we all know how much DC/WB loves to stir up the press pot.

I have no reason to believe that the value of BB28 will be adversely impacted. And while I'm at it: since we've never had a discussion of it here.....the first issue of the official Justice League comic should be appreciating in the same linear fashion as well. In fact, it's fairly inexpensive currently, comparitively....and will be the next most sought after....especially by more amateur collectors and collectors that feel they can't purchase a higher grade BB28.

I just had a discussion with someone the other day that was asking about Justice League #1...stating that he was curious 'how much it was worth these days' since he had purchased it on the newsstand as a kid. He wasn't aware at all that this wasn't the first appearance of the league itself. He was looking to 'repurchase' a copy of #1 since it was nostalgic and he even thought it would be a great collectible to purchase since the news of the JLA movie hit.

I have been buying sets of JLA comics. The first 25 issues I strongly feel will grow in value. The rest are very common. But I rather hit the high grades now before they might just be out of reach. I know they won't be as expensive as the spideys. But I feel they will at least double in price. Just my 2 cents.

This is possibly the best time to still buy early Justice League, Flash, GL, Aquaman, Atom appearances in as high grades as possible. The books (especially everything but BB 28, SC 4 and JLA 1) are dirt cheap, rare and in my opinion feature very cool covers.

Showcase #30 (1st SA Aquaman) sells for less than $2k in 9.2 with only 5 in grade and 2 at 9.4. It is also from Jan. 1961, which means high grades and supply are cut relatively short.

Showcase #34 (1st SA Atom) last 2 9.0 copies both sold for less than $2,4k last year with only 5 in 9.0 and 4 graded higher (1x 9.2, 3x 9.4)

Oh and as for the polyethnic background of the Justice League, they pretty much aren't all American in the first place.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are not American and have a Greek background (in animations both, citizens of Atlantis and of Themyscira speak Greek to each other). Besides their Greek background they both belong to independent non-American nations. If they emphasize this a bit it would already show the polyethnic background.

The Martian Manhunter may mainly reside in the US these days, but he was born, grew up and already lived most of his life on Mars.