• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicCollectorLive -- Anyone REALLY use it?

17 posts in this topic

I remembered when they first launched, but the subscription and eBay like structure turned me off. From what I've seen, I don't see even mediocre books there being sold. Is anyone a member there and can sing praises? I don't see anyone here mention it; wondering if they are tailoring to a different market... :shrug:

I remembered when they first launched, but the subscription and eBay like structure turned me off. From what I've seen, I don't see even mediocre books there being sold. Is anyone a member there and can sing praises? I don't see anyone here mention it; wondering if they are tailoring to a different market... :shrug:

The Library section is useful, especially for trading cards. I never look at it fr buying and selling.

I used to be a moderator there,and was one of the first to be a member.I bought one thing there,and was deeply disappointed.If you think that mods here are tough,the mods over there will delete a thread just because they don't want to hear it.Not a big fan of the place.

I used to be a moderator there,and was one of the first to be a member.I bought one thing there,and was deeply disappointed.If you think that mods here are tough,the mods over there will delete a thread just because they don't want to hear it.Not a big fan of the place.
I don't think the mods here are tough. The boards there looks like the most active thing there.

I don't see any draw there in terms of books that would warrant me spending $15 a month. In theory, they have all of the pieces to manage a collection--heck they even document sales on the site and store it for each book--kinda like a mini GPA. I like the search engine.

I HATE how they use stock images...it's nice if you're comics.org, but bad if you want to see what you're buying.

I just don't see a lot of good books there.

Someone prove me wrong. I think I start this exact thread every 18 months or so... :baiting:

I bought the software and really like it. Of course, I don't have anything to compare it to, but, it works great for my needs. As for buying on there, I've made three purchases, all within the same week. One was over graded, but, so cheap I didn't ask for a refund. Just mentioned it was overgraded to the seller but said I didn't expect anything. Another was overgraded on a $40 book. He gave me a full refund, including original shipping and return shipping. The last book was as described. The forums I don't use. But, overall, guess I'm satisfied w/ CCL.

I know some who sell there, its good for modern bulk priced at like $1.00-$2.00 per book. More of a hole filler site, not grade sensitive.
That's my impression as well, which isn't my cup of tea. I'm sure the site owners had bigger expectations that just cheap moderns, but that's what it's become I think. I personally think it's outrageous to sell books at those prices ($1 or $2) and pay $14 a month to keep a store as well as insertion fees and final value fees. Makes me appreciate what I have here.

I bought the software and really like it. Of course, I don't have anything to compare it to, but, it works great for my needs. As for buying on there, I've made three purchases, all within the same week. One was over graded, but, so cheap I didn't ask for a refund. Just mentioned it was overgraded to the seller but said I didn't expect anything. Another was overgraded on a $40 book. He gave me a full refund, including original shipping and return shipping. The last book was as described. The forums I don't use. But, overall, guess I'm satisfied w/ CCL.
This sounds like your typical eBay experience, except you're on a comic book site so expectations should be a bit higher.

I have purchased there in the past for copper/moderns I couldn't find elsewhere. Out of all my orders, I only had one that was overgraded. Overall, I rather enjoyed that site for purchasing as I could purchase a bulk of moderns from one seller. Now, I would order anything from there. The few sellers that have some DC animated books I wanted have horrible ratings. So without actually pictures, I stay away from there. As a buyer, it looks like there are too many not so good sellers there lately.

I have purchased there in the past for copper/moderns I couldn't find elsewhere. Out of all my orders, I only had one that was overgraded. Overall, I rather enjoyed that site for purchasing as I could purchase a bulk of moderns from one seller. Now, I would order anything from there. The few sellers that have some DC animated books I wanted have horrible ratings. So without actually pictures, I stay away from there. As a buyer, it looks like there are too many not so good sellers there lately.

I'm like you, in that I have had only a few bad experiences on there when purchasing Moderns and Copper Age. Like any other multi-vendor sales venue, you will find good and bad. You just have to dig through the pile and find your gem sellers.

At least some minor success. Two of three in this CGC order were from a CCL dealer.

CGC_Nov11006.jpg

:banana:

I'm curious, they have a rating system (love the moniker Hero, Mortal, Villain) do they punish or remove those that can't service their customers? If not, then this is worse than eBay because there's no repercussions for not selling goods accurately.

Again, taking it from the standpoint that they want my business--why would I pay when there's so much riftraft? Do they even search engine optimize the books to show up on Google searches?

I guess it would be better for me to contact them, but wanted to hear it from the folks that matter!

The problem is they use file covers and not the actual comic that you would be buying, that's kind of scary because you literally have to trust the individual seller on what his interpretation is of the comics grade.Everyone there is anti CGC(trust me on that) and most if not all sellers over grade their books.

CCL is definitely a hole filler site IMO. But not in a bad way. I have bought a lot of books there filling sets and such, a great site for that. Higher end books not so much, sellers can post scans of books if they chose but most of them do not. I became a member there around 2009 and I buy there 2-3 times a month. I have never bought the software and have never sold anything on there though. Of course there have been some ebay like disappointing orders, the kind of orders that are listed at nm and when you open the package the books go straight into the trash. That being said I have had some fantastic buys on there over the years. Just like ebay take a few minutes and read the sellers feedback. I think its a great site for reader issues and such.

The problem is they use file covers and not the actual comic that you would be buying, that's kind of scary because you literally have to trust the individual seller on what his interpretation is of the comics grade.Everyone there is anti CGC(trust me on that) and most if not all sellers over grade their books.

+1 on people on CCL being anti CGC. Some of the post there about slabbing made me giggle, some odd cats there.