• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

Now that the parent company of CGC has a financial stake in a pressing business, it will lock in CGCs approach to grading of ignoring defects introduced by the pressing process, and that in many collector's eyes would lower the grade of a book.

This is a growing concern for me.

It's not very rare to be pressing related, as is made clear from numerous before-and-after scans and experiences.

Ok, Bob.

Mike, if that's your professional opinion then I take it as fact. In my opinion, the only way you are wrong is if you're telling a fib.

It's not very rare to be pressing related, as is made clear from numerous before-and-after scans and experiences.

Ok, Bob.

If the before and after scans are available, I don't think it should be easily dismissed.

I've been collecting SA and BA comics for 40 years, and while books with impacted staples are not rare, they are uncommon. One glance through a raw original owner collection confirms this. On the other hand, a perusal of the large scans from any Heritage or Pedigree auctions or the Worldwide Comics website shows the prevalence of Silver sporting high numerical grades and also at least one indented staple.

Pressing overhang wear also sometimes leaves behind horizontal color-breaking creases even on books that have 9.6 CGC grades. They, too, can be readily found in perusing scans from the usual suspect sites.

Ok, Bob.

If the before and after scans are available, I don't think it should be easily dismissed.

I've been collecting SA and BA comics for 40 years, and while books with impacted staples are not rare, they are uncommon. One glance through a raw original owner collection confirms this. On the other hand, a perusal of the large scans from any Heritage or Pedigree auctions or the Worldwide Comics website shows the prevalence of Silver sporting high numerical grades and also at least one indented staple.

Pressing overhang wear also sometimes leaves behind horizontal color-breaking creases even on books that have 9.6 CGC grades. They, too, can be readily found in perusing scans from the usual suspect sites.

This is in no way meant to cast doubt on credentials...I'm just curious. When people say things like "I've been collecting for 40 years" do we all begin to tally our professional experience from the age of 5? :grin:

So basically what you are telling me is I have to wonder that if I submit a book that unless I have a book pressed by THEM (Classics), my book will not receive as nice of a grade.

Correct. :makepoint:

If your book is not pressed then CGC will downgrade your books by 3 full grades.

CGC graders are now adding the shady grade to the process. If they see non-color breaking defects they now have all the time in the world ( :eyeroll:) to take the book back to Matt and have him call the customer to add pressing to the submission.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

John, you are not remotely close to impartial on this matter.

Nor are you, Pat (thumbs u

Nor are you, Richard (thumbs u

Nor are you, Bill (thumbs u

John, you are not remotely close to impartial on this matter.

Nor are you, Pat (thumbs u

No one involved in the hobby, or at least in this part of the hobby, is impartial.

Trust no one in this part of the hobby.

Don't trust any of the hobbies around these parts.

Just wow. It doesn't even matter if you think Matt is nice and honorable, which I do. This is a cluster of a decision. To me, CGC sells trust. This erodes trust just like it did the first time the move was proposed.

If one company owns a company selling a service meant to increase a grade and a company which grades, that's a conflict of interest. A conflict of interest means less trust. If there were a way to know which books go through CI first, I would trust that grade less.

CGC doesn't sell trust. They sell an evaluation, and they make the rules by which that evaluation happens. It's up to us to buy into their rules, and judging by their wait times, they've had plenty of buy in.

If they're not selling trust, what are they selling? Trust in their grading ability. Trust in the impartiality (not grading certain people's book more favorably). Trust they won't damage your book. So on and so on.

How does adding Matt change any of that?

You may look at it differently because you are already an expert and probably know what should improve a grade, so you might not have the same need for Matt's input...but when I would meet with Matt, years ago, about a book, he would TELL me, what he would suggest be done to the book, to improve the grade. Fixing this or that, or pressing (he pretty much always suggested pressing). I collect older lower grade books and the ones I wanted "fixed" had restoration already...so maybe there was more that he could tell me...

However, I think there is an issue, with a grading company owning another company that can "improve" the books.

Let's say the graders are impartial (which I hope and expect they are)...what happens if the book comes back a lower grade than Matt guesses, or as restored when Matt says it should no longer show as restored. I've had that happen when I gave him books. Will there be a do-over? Will you have to pay another set of CGC fees?

The last time I gave Matt a book to remove restoration, some was missed. I was told I'd have to resubmit it to him and to pay CGC again until the resto was found,, that was the "normal" procedure. What will happen when CGC owns the company?

I wish Matt luck, and congratulations...but I DO think there are going to be many issues here.

I would assume now you the fees/resubmission would be taken care of when it comes to the book still being restored if Matt says it will not be when it comes back graded. More a guarantee now.

Pressing will always be a roll of the dice, and assuming Matt's will always use the verbiage could help, should, good chance, but not 100% to cover such a same or lower grade issue as he usually does anyway,

Potential ways for their to be a conflict of interest that results in something shady, depending on your amount of tinfoil:

1. CGC actively undergrades books which do not get CI services first.

2. CGC actively overgrades books which do get CI services first.

3. CGC actively ignores borderline restoration after CI performs resto removal.

Whether you think any of these will happen depends on the level of trust you have in CGC. Anyone who doesn't see that CCG has a financial incentive, through its ownership of both CGC and CI, is fooling themselves. It may not happen but it appears to be a conflict of interest. That erodes trust in the product of CGC.

This is great news!

Now when I submit my 9.8 for pressing to CGC I am guaranteed at least a 9.9!

DOUBLE MY MONEY!

PROFIT!

PROFIT!

PROFIT!

The only problem I see is what happens when my mag gets a 10.0 grade and I send it back in to have it pressed for the third time? Will it now be given a 10.5?

Ok, Bob.

This is in no way meant to cast doubt on credentials...I'm just curious. When people say things like "I've been collecting for 40 years" do we all begin to tally our professional experience from the age of 5? :grin:

I'm 58 :blush:

This is great news!

Now when I submit my 9.8 for pressing to CGC I am guaranteed at least a 9.9!

DOUBLE MY MONEY!

PROFIT!

PROFIT!

PROFIT!

The only problem I see is what happens when my mag gets a 10.0 grade and I send it back in to have it pressed for the third time? Will it now be given a 10.5?

It will reset to 1.0, and you'll have to do 12-18 more presses to get it back to 10.0.