• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

All art gets restored. Us comic book collectors are the last to realize this.

Dan

This statement is 100% not true.

Ditto.

Actually, for the statement to be 100% not true, you would have to be suggesting that a correct statement would be "No art gets restored. US comic book collectors are the first to realize this."

Edited by Bookery

Dan

Ditto.

Actually, for the statement to be 100% not true, you would have to be suggesting that a correct statement would be "No art gets restored. US comic book collectors are the first to realize this."

Exactly. The last time I was at the Met and MOMA, the curators were more than happy to let me know what pieces were being restored and therefore not viewable. This pansy approach to purity is pathetic.

Dan

Dan

Ditto.

Exactly. The last time I was at the Met and MOMA, the curators were more than happy to let me know what pieces were being restored and therefore not viewable. This pansy approach to purity is pathetic.

Dan

Comics are mass produced items. It's a world of difference.

Trust no one in this part of the hobby.

Don't trust any of the hobbies around these parts.

I don't even trust the parts...

Wow did I miss the sheet hitting the fan yesterday or what?! :banana:

The Curator must've sought out from the newstand copies with indented staples and crushed spines. meh

Just a few of many examples.

Av11Curator.jpg

FF11Curator.jpg

FF51Curator-2.jpg

FF13Curator.jpg

FF38Curator.jpg

As a 40 year FF collector I can state that the FF 51 and 38 above are two of the most infamous issues with naturally occurring indented staples. However the pressing process might very well exasperate the problem.

Trust no one in this part of the hobby.

Don't trust any of the hobbies around these parts.

I don't even trust the parts...

Put your hand on your gun.

Don't you trust anyone.

There's just one kind of man that you can trust, that's a dead man.

Or a gringo like me.

Dan

Ditto.

Dan

Probably the most accurate statement would be:

Most art gets restored eventually. A lot of comic collectors don't realize this.

That said... mass-produced makes no difference.

If it becomes collectible, it can and will eventually be restored... especially the most valued items... including mass-produced items such as posters, books, bicycles, furniture, toys, automobiles, clothing, jewelry, guns, knives, dolls, clocks, boats... you get the idea.

On the other hand, if you believe that CGC does what they say they do - grade books impartially no matter who subs them or from where they originate - this announcement is a complete non-issue. It's simply a value-added service from CGC's side that you can either use or ignore - no different than, say, fast-tracking a book.

It was viewed as a conflict of interest once upon a time:

"Following on the heels of CGC's announcement last week that they are closing PCS, Classics Incorporated is stepping up its dedication to accuracy, safety, and prompt service...

... In Nelson's opinion there has never been a better, safer, and more fruitful time to collect or invest in comics than now. "We commend CGC for their decision to put the collectors' best interests first." SCOOP

Applauding the closing of PCS as promoting "collectors' best interests", then assuming that role years later, is a reversal of opinion, if nothing else.

Conflict then, 'value-added service' now.

Very interesting....

Yep, the times, they are a changin'...

"Ultimately we did not feel that we were serving in the collectors’ best interest if there was a perception of conflict between CGC and PCS."

Certified Collectibles Group to Indefinitely Suspend Comic Book Conservation Service

Dan

Ditto.

Dan

So why care if a mass produced item is restored?

Dan

I've used Classics quite a bit on marginal 9.8 candidates when I was filling my Avengers and X-men runs. I have to admit that I am totally not thrilled by this. Aside from the other points raised, Matt's services are already pretty slow and CGC's are ridiculous. Combine the two and you could have books sittingat CGC for a year or more.

THIS.

CGC does NOT care about turnaround times. They can write messages in the forum crying about how upset they are about the wait times and what they are doing to address them. In the meantime they work their staff 10 hours days+ 6 days a week.

If they cared they would fix TT's first.

Yes I know all the arguments about paying graders / getting staff etc. Boo Hoo.

If you like waiting a year for your books go ahead. I'm voting with my wallet and waiting until another reputable company comes to the market before I grade anything else. I'm done with this BS

If it becomes collectible, it can and will eventually be restored... especially the most valued items... including mass-produced items such as posters, books, bicycles, furniture, toys, automobiles, clothing, jewelry, guns, knives, dolls, clocks, boats... you get the idea.

We more readily accept restoration on one-of-a-kind works of fine art because it's the only way to maintain the singular artifact.

When twentieth-century comics are in a far greater state of deterioration that they are at present, what you're saying will hold more weight. But we'll all be dead by then.

Dan

Ditto.

Dan

Probably the most accurate statement would be:

Most art gets restored eventually. A lot of comic collectors don't realize this.

All I know is what I see on the Antiques Roadshow lol On that show it seems as if different types of collectibles have different standards. If it's furniture, the expert usually says "Thank goodness you didn't get this restored" or "Too bad you had this refinished." With posters, maps, or other collectible paper goods they often seem to recommend restoration: "You should get these tears repaired" or, with paintings, "You should really get this cleaned."

We more readily accept restoration on one-of-a-kind works of fine art because it's the only way to maintain the singular artifact.

When twentieth-century comics are in a far greater state of deterioration that they are at present, what you're saying will hold more weight. But we'll all be dead by then.

I'm not advocating restoring or not-restoring comics. And it's not a matter of my statement holding weight, since what I stated above is simply fact. And I'm not sure why any of the categories I mentioned above would be in any different states of deterioration than comics.

As for whether we'll all be dead by then... you are forgetting about the coming Japanese paper-beetle invasion of 2016.

As for whether we'll all be dead by then... you are forgetting about the coming Japanese paper-beetle invasion of 2016.

That is 100%...something. Yep 100% something.

Dan

Ditto.

Dan

Your statement that ALL art gets restored is not correct. I have a lot of artwork that has not been restored. I think there are probably more work that hasn't been restored than restored but that is a guess on my part.

That is 100%...something. Yep 100% something.

meh. I figure it's no more fanciful than much of what's been stated here. Besides, it's irrelevent, since the pulpworms are due in 2014.