• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Breaking New???

19 posts in this topic

Or a day late and a dollar short

So here I am at work and I checked my e-mail on my break. I received one from Classics Incorporated. It had nothing to do with my submissions but nonetheless I opened it curious to read what news had transpired. It looks like Matt Nelson will be joining the ranks of CGC. BUT, what does that mean for us, the collector.

I can only speculate that with Matt and staff going, does that mean more graders. Will turn around times be dropping instead of growing. There is a full article that you can go to from here on CGC's site.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3051&Certified-Collectibles-Group-(CCG)-Acquires-Classics-Incorporated

ad then here is a copy of that Matt had sent out to anyone who receives his e-mails

As you'll be hearing in the coming days, CGC has bought Classics Incorporated, and my staff and I will be moving to Sarasota, Florida to continue our services there on February 1st, 2013. This is a very exciting development for not just us, but for our clients and the collecting community at large. The chance to offer pressing and CGC grading under one roof will streamline the submission process and open the door for new ideas for our customers. Classics Incorporated will still be taking in submissions as normal here in Dallas during the next two months.

I will be parting ways with my partner Stephen Ritter at Worldwide Comics. Stephen is an incredibly knowledgeable dealer who understands the market implicitly, and he will continue Worldwide's success for years to come. It's been a pleasure working with him these past 5 years. I couldn't have envisioned a better partnership with anyone else in this business. Stephen got married to his wonderful girl Sharon this past Saturday, and he is just about settled into his new digs in San Antonio, so his life will now be a bit calmer. We will immediately resume work on the pedigree book (which is long, long overdue), a passion project we can't wait to deliver to the hobby soon.

It's been an exciting decade for me here in Dallas, developing innovations in pressing, restoration, and other areas of collecting. We will continue to develop new ideas for the company in the coming years as we always have, so expect many exciting things in the future.

See everyone soon,

Matt Nelson

President, Classics Incorporated

I spoke with Matt over numerous occasions and have found that he is not only a genuine guy, but a genuine collector as well. I am looking forward to what is to come because with Matt Nelson CGC has only improved.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

No Random Photo Below

See more journals by Tnerb

To Blow up the Moon... No offense taken and as far as staying inside the coatroom, don't you know that's where the most sex happens at parties.

In all seriousness though, you are right, I should venture out more and possibly participate more, but I noticed through those chat boards there are a lot of "trolling" and disparaging remarks among people. Some of those people are strangers and even once someone tried to ire me. I know this person, I know who he is and what he does, but I wouldn't rise to the bait. I am not about that. Unfortunately I have too much of that at work. I really don't want to or need to defend myself if I say something that someone else disagrees with nor do I want to attack someone else if they slander me.

I have fallen back in love with this hobby because of CGC, something I have admitted I was very much against when I first heard of them. Now, as you can see, with over 325 Journals written and almost 400 slabbed books owned, I add the Journals as a tool to share that enjoyment. However, and this would be something I would appreciate, you could always send me any links that you find pertinent and that you would like to share to me through the registry until such a time when I immerse myself among the boards.

Thanks For Reading

Tnerb

I like to stick my neck out. Kinda did even in high school with those bully kids that lived in the closet. I also like the coat room...spend a lot of time looking for keys inside them coats....go for a ride in an unknown car to the next party....Yeehaw...and drop the keys off in another coat....makin' a mess of the bull bords

Tnerb, you really need to stick your head outside of the CGC Journals section. No offense intended.

It's like being at a party and never venturing outside of the coat room.

A good rule of thumb is if you have to say "no offense intended", it's probably better not to say anything at all. This brings to mind a comment MatMarvel made on one of my journals not too long ago..."Just because someone qualifies a statement with 'Not to be rude' doesn't excuse you from rudeness and sounding like an elitist toff."

You may have great intentions, believing Tnerb will find much more enjoyment from the message boards, and that may very well be true, but please remember it's not what you say it's how you say it. Just food for thought. I'm sure you're a great guy. :cool:

sig.jpg

back to the original topic... i'm curious as to how the pricing and organizational flow of this will play out. will membership discounts apply to CI services? will there be a universal invoice listing all services or seperate invoices for CGC and CI services? will CI employees also grade books? are CI pressed books now going to be designated/identified as such? will CI submissions be trackable through the Collector's Society?

Hopefully all of these will be answered in the coming months.

Tnerb, you really need to stick your head outside of the CGC Journals section. No offense intended.

A good rule of thumb is if you have to say "no offense intended", it's probably better not to say anything at all. This brings to mind a comment MatMarvel made on one of my journals not too long ago..."Just because someone qualifies a statement with 'Not to be rude' doesn't excuse you from rudeness and sounding like an elitist toff."

You may have great intentions, believing Tnerb will find much more enjoyment from the message boards, and that may very well be true, but please remember it's not what you say it's how you say it. Just food for thought. I'm sure you're a great guy.

I'd venture a guess to say that Blowie might have been suggesting that other Boardies (such as myself) would benefit from having a guy like Tnerb in CG. He brings good stuff to the Journals.

You may have great intentions, believing Tnerb will find much more enjoyment from the message boards, and that may very well be true, but please remember it's not what you say it's how you say it. Just food for thought. I'm sure you're a great guy.

I'd venture a guess to say that Blowie might have been suggesting that other Boardies (such as myself) would benefit from having a guy like Tnerb in CG. He brings good stuff to the Journals.

Sure, that's partially what I was suggesting.

For example, a while ago Tnerb posted a thread wishing to discuss: What is CVA? when there was a pre-existing thread entitled CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process that has over 1,000 replies and over 15,000 views.

Why not jump into the Comics General thread, which gets a heck of a lot more traffic than the lonely outpost that is the Journals section?

Fox example, a while ago Tnerb posted a thread wishing to discuss: What is CVA? when there was a pre-existing thread entitled CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process that has over 1,000 replies and over 15,000 views.

Why not jump into the Comics General thread, which gets a heck of a lot more traffic than the lonely outpost that is the Journals section?

I'm not lonely.

Once again to Blow up the Moon

Have you ever written something that you enjoyed, that you wanted others to read, especially those that you interact with. Some of the things I write are for another website. On this site I have to write to an audience that does not know anything about CGC, let alone CVA. On the site I also add links to articles such as CGC for the Amateur. I will have another article about CVA which I will place through the journals as well.

You might ask why I use the journals. Other than the love of writing, I couldn't join the message boards with a yahoo address. If it wasn't for Gemma's good grace I wouldn't be able to post now. Either way I hope you enjoy my posts as well because at the end of the day we are part of a hobby that we love and enjoy.

Tnerb

Thank you, the sentiment is well appreciated.

You may have great intentions, believing Tnerb will find much more enjoyment from the message boards, and that may very well be true, but please remember it's not what you say it's how you say it. Just food for thought. I'm sure you're a great guy. :cool:

sig.jpg

Not to be rude but, bite me.

Fox example, a while ago Tnerb posted a thread wishing to discuss: What is CVA? when there was a pre-existing thread entitled CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process that has over 1,000 replies and over 15,000 views.

CG has butthurt, elitism, hennyclucking, self-importance, and angst. What's not to love?