• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Infantino save Batman?

29 posts in this topic

The early Batman screen tests doesn't have the yellow oval "new look" Batman costume, so I have doubts they were looking at Infantino's comics when they first thought about the show.

But they sure used it once it got up and running.

- If we take Infantino at his word, then perhaps what's being underscored is the fact that one of DC's and comicbookdom's greatest superheroes faced cancellation- not a major concern in today's "post-modern comic book world," but I would venture to guess, an extremely serious situation in the Silver Age.

- Since Schwartz gave Infantino the task to get Batman off the "road to cancellation," wouldn't Carmine be primarily responsible for any immediate subsequent success experienced by the book? Infantino himself takes credit for Batman's "new look." Is it fair to say that had Infantino's Batman failed resulting in Batman's cancellation, wouldn't history primarily attribute this failure to Carmine?

Well, I do think it interesting the number of times in history that Batman-- now DC's flagship character-- almost got axed in some way. Shadroch mentioned the late-1970s almost-cancellation of Detective Comics (it merged with the better-selling Batman Family-- check out the cover logo for Detective 481-482 for instance). And I do think the 1964 New Look was a reaction to Batman sales not being where they needed to be. So yes, a big deal for Batman to be on the road to cancellation. I'm just not sure how much weight to put on Infantino's relative importance. I mean, I like his stuff-- those odd-numbered Detective Comics for years were the only New Look Batman issues I bothered to collect. But I'm just not sure how big a factor Infantino was to the overall revival. Schwartz, Fox, Broome, Infantino and Giella were all part of the New Look package. I'm sure Julie Schwartz probably had to sell Infantino on the move over from Adam Strange (where Infantino probably felt he was working in the tradition of Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon comic strip or the great EC science fiction comic books) to the more hum-drum Gotham City based adventures for Batman. "You've got to save Batman" is probably what Julie also told Gardner Fox, John Broome, etc. :)

I'm sure Julie Schwartz probably had to sell Infantino on the move over from Adam Strange (where Infantino probably felt he was working in the tradition of Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon comic strip or the great EC science fiction comic books) to the more hum-drum Gotham City based adventures for Batman. "You've got to save Batman" is probably what Julie also told Gardner Fox, John Broome, etc.

Artists & writers at DC had very little ability to choose their assignments. Most of them looked at what they were doing as "a job" so I'm not sure they would have necessarily even thought to object.

Given Julie's ability to charm and keep his creative stable relatively happy, I don't think there was much difficulty.

Reading Infantino interviews, it's pretty clear he didn't really like doing any of the hero stuff. He was more into Detective Chimp. And I think I read that he enjoyed the Elongated Man 'Tec back up stories, which do look great.

As for Infantino single-handedly saving Batman, it sounds unlikely. I'm willing to believe that Bats was in trouble. His stories had been overly juvenile for too long, and interest was waning in the early 60. It's hard to imagine now, but I don't see why he couldn't have petered out at the beginning of the SA, just as other once-dominant characters have faded into obscurity. At any rate, Julie and Carmine and the Fox/Broome team all contributed the "The New Look."

But it is definitely true that covers sold comics in the early 60s. I forget the numbers thrown around, but Julie has said that he quickly realized that Infantino covers tended to sell more strongly than others, which is why he wound up doing so much cover work throughout the SA. I believe he did roughs and layouts for a lot of covers that were ultimately executed by other artists too.

By the way, the "Julie and Carmine and Fox/Broome team" is the best!!! Those guys did just about everything I love most in comics.

But it is definitely true that covers sold comics in the early 60s. I forget the numbers thrown around, but Julie has said that he quickly realized that Infantino covers tended to sell more strongly than others, which is why he wound up doing so much cover work throughout the SA. I believe he did roughs and layouts for a lot of covers that were ultimately executed by other artists too.

I agree! Carmine Infantino was an absolute master of composition. Here are scans of four of my favourite examples of excellence in composition:

29-06-201172328PM.jpg

13-08-2011113321AM.jpg

19-12-2011120838AM.jpg

19-12-2011120842AM.jpg

:cool:

The early Batman screen tests doesn't have the yellow oval "new look" Batman costume, so I have doubts they were looking at Infantino's comics when they first thought about the show.

But they sure used it once it got up and running.

I think it was mentioned in Adam West's book BACK TO THE BATCAVE that one of the producers (Greenway?) picked up BATMAN 171 in an airport and got the idea to pitch it as a series. I believe they also used a lot of pre-'new look' Batman books as well for inspiration.

I have seen that clip before and, while everything else is quite polished, Batman's costume looks kinda thown together. I am sure it went thru many iterations before they settled on the final version.

Its a shame that the series never really dove too deep into the origins of Batman & Robin. I guess, since it was basically a comedy, they didnt want to get too dark talking about the deaths of Batman & Robin's parents.

I may be mistaken, but as I recall it- DCs horror/ suspense line outsold most of their super-hero lines throughout much of the Bronze Age.

I have read that Detetive Comics was in danger of cancelation at a point in the 1970s, but have not heard that of Batman itself.

It was indeed reported that Detective Comics was in danger of being cancelled in the late 70's. It was why they combined Detective Comics with Batman Family and published the title for a time at the $1.00 higher page count cover price.

I think it was mentioned in Adam West's book BACK TO THE BATCAVE that one of the producers (Greenway?) picked up BATMAN 171 in an airport and got the idea to pitch it as a series.

That particular anecdote has made the rounds over the years but is at odds with the history quoted in Wiki. I think Wiki has the more likely take on the topic.