• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

I disagree pressing can't be detected.

In fact, I will go one further and say there are defects that CGC immediately would be able to identify as being produced by pressing, damage produced by their slab, or a combination of both.

It's too easy to dismiss this, but after seeing millions of books, I would say that identification is possible, but they chose not to treat it as a problem and that's why we're stuck debating this point for as long as we have.

Outside of identification by the naked eye, there are also detection possibilities associated to the release coatings on the paper used in the pressing process.

There is no way the chemicals in the release profile of these coatings would ever be used in the manufacturing/production of the comic, it's storage, or conservation products (bags/boards), so once residue is traced back to the front/rear, and interior pages where release papers would be used, there would be no explanation or reason to conclude other than pressing producing the condition where these chemicals would be present.

If you're going to argue that the comics could have been stored next to release papers, then I would say make sure they aren't. meh

Matter of time and technology folks - all just a matter of time.

As far as detecting possibilities associated to the coatings on release paper, you are only speculating that there is some sort of transference there. Even if it were possible through "technology"...good luck financing that. It would only drive up costs and turn around times.

Let me throw this out there just for discussion. I have a device in my office right now that might be able to detect the chemicals from the release paper. This technology might exist now. To Mike's point on cost, it retails for around $40-50,000. It would depend on what the elemental constituency of the release paper and whether on not any of it ends up on the comic after pressing. I would need to test it. It occurs to be that it might have other uses for detecting certain types of resto in which other substances are added to the book like aqueous cleaning, tape removal, etc.

I'm not sure I want to go into any more detail as Bookery's suggestion of a pressing detection service is an interesting one. hm

I know of the device you speak about. In fact when I first started researching this area, I found this detection equipment to be more expensive than the amount you mention. Like you, I was most interested in learning how these chemicals might impregnate the paper fibers and binders, which led me to some very interesting research on the "aging" effects of release papers, and into some exploratory ideas where the fibers and binders might be compared to other parts of the comic to determine any alternation. Suffice it to say that I feel that not only is this technology here, but that it will really come down to assembling the right combination of willingness and methodology. I don't refute your point about costs, but I think the resignation and dogmatism in people's perception on the detection capabilities is not only inaccurate, but could well be blown to shreds if the right method is used.

What I have is a portable model of more expensive "tabletop" versions which was created for use in the field and is probably about as cheap as you can get for this type of thing. I've only had it for a few months, so I'm still learning how to use it and get a handle on interpreting the data, but I agree the technology is here, but it may cost prohibitive.

The second you implement this, people would find another type of release paper.

I just got through reading an article on thee transfer of trace amounts of silicone from release paper liners. The amount would miniscule and would depend on the brand of release paper, but it should be detectable by several methods, including the device I have. I;m really intrigued now and may try it out as soon as get a chance.

I can see CGC's next News Announcement now:

"CGC purchases CSI (Comic Structure Investigations).

CGC & CSI owner Theageness announce a multi-billion dollar buyout of the new pressing detection system. Now for an additional $29.99 per item you can have your comic tested for signs of pressing. $39.99 Fast Track option available, as well as $19.99 CSI Detection Notes option."

You realy want to scew up comic collecting add a divice that will add value or reduce value in 20 seconds through some mechanical chemical meens

And you though a sticker thet tells you a book looks good was crazy !!!

Lets keep comic book collecting (grading) in human hands and human minds !

:)

I just got through reading an article on thee transfer of trace amounts of silicone from release paper liners. The amount would miniscule and would depend on the brand of release paper, but it should be detectable by several methods, including the device I have. I;m really intrigued now and may try it out as soon as get a chance.

CGC & CSI owner Theageness announce a multi-billion dollar buyout of the new pressing detection system. Now for an additional $29.99 per item you can have your comic tested for signs of pressing. $39.99 Fast Track option available, as well as $19.99 CSI Detection Notes option."

hm CSI? Ilke it. I like it a lot.

This is the device:

phaser.jpg

Testbusting release paper technology: the next comic book cottage industry

You know with all this talk about how unfair it is to have pressing noted at this time, I've had a though (which I know could be dangerous;) .

Am I the only one who had books that CGC labeled pressed?

I'm pretty sure they were restored, and I don't have one in front of me...but I KNOW I've seen that.

So, they have actually noted it before.

You realy want to scew up comic collecting add a divice that will add value or reduce value in 20 seconds through some mechanical cemical meens

You mean like a dry mount press?

The process I'm talking about is completely non-destructive and non-invasive. You wouldn't even need to touch the book.

This is the device:

phaser.jpg

Hey, don't point that thing at me! Is it set on stun?

This is the device:

phaser.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK

:ohnoez:

Testbusting release paper technology: the next comic book cottage industry

I could have side business detecting release paper to discover which ones are least detectable. It's like a Moebius loop! :ohnoez:

This is the device:

phaser.jpg

You laugh, but I was using it in my office for a month before we found out we were supposed to get a permit from the state Dept. of Health. :eek:

You realy want to scew up comic collecting add a divice that will add value or reduce value in 20 seconds through some mechanical chemical meens

Humans have done a bang up job thus far :eyeroll:

You laugh, but I was using it in my office for a month before we found out we were supposed to get a permit from the state Dept. of Health. :eek:

Hmmm. That might put a glitch into the whole cost-of-operation plan. You're going to have to pay your staffers a lot if using the device is going to shorten their lifespans!

This is the device:

phaser.jpg

:eek:

Any red shirts in the room we can test it on?

Hmmm. That might put a glitch into the whole cost-of-operation plan. You're going to have to pay your staffers a lot if using the device is going to shorten their lifespans!

A small price to pay if it will save some funnybooks!

A small price to pay if it will save some funnybooks!

(thumbs u

Being able to do that would be great! How does the device work? The dream would be to do it through a CGC case but that depends on the technique being used.

Those permits are meant to ensure it is used properly. It's no different a precaution than making sure laser devices used to identify fakes don't get into the hands of kids who think it could be fun to shine it in each others eyes. Not to mention that the primary reason why devices like this exist is for the purpose of detecting the presence of chemicals far more harmful to human health than any harm from using the device during surveying/testing.

Being able to do that would be great! How does the device work? The dream would be to do it through a CGC case but that depends on the technique being used.

That would trickier because it would also be detecting all of the elements of the slab, but it might not be impossible.

The problem would that what you you would basically be looking for is elevated levels of silicon on the cover. This is problematic because there would already be a lot of silicon from the kaolin clay that's used in some glossy paper. You would need to build a database of signatures from non-pressed types of cover stock from different eras and companies, then likewise for pressed versions so you could compare the two. It might also be that there are trace elements in the release paper that transfer to the book during the pressing process that aren't in comic paper. That would make it much easier.