• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

I think part of that is Roy, that even though these points have been "explained" or poo poo'd , that not everyone agrees with the explanations. Some of us, think the people or company explaining are biased because the "explanations" are slanted in a way to support a specific agenda.

That's completely fair.

I'm not asking anyone to swallow my personal explanations hook, line and sinker as I am all about the debate but I am curious why if someone doesn't agree with a statement why they don't focus on the statement and debate it rather than just cryptically post graemlins.

And just to clarify, many of the same questions being asked are not asked because people don't agree with the answers. They're being asked because people don't read the thread. It's cumbersome I realize, but it would be less so if conversations were kept on point.

Has CGC answered any questions here yet?

Yes. They said you're still an individual_without_enough_empathy. :gossip:

Thanks. I missed that one. Was that before or after they affirmed your person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed status? I need to know where to look.

Has CGC answered any questions here yet?

Yes. They said you're still an individual_without_enough_empathy. :gossip:

Thanks. I missed that one. Was that before or after they affirmed your person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed status? I need to know where to look.

:roflmao:

:baiting:

:whee:

At the core of these debates is petty, envious, even spiteful, handwringing over comic book profits. Who’s making them? Who isn’t? How much & how?

These debates are couched in virtuous terms such as ‘the hobby’ or ‘the books’ but in fact are unrelated to love of comics or love of the books.

This is all about objections to money flowing the way money tends to flow.

Comic books don't give a damn about money. Profiteers & frustrated profiteers do.

At the core of these debates is petty, envious, even spiteful, handwringing over comic book profits. Who’s making them? Who isn’t? How much & how?

These debates are couched in virtuous terms such as ‘the hobby’ or ‘the books’ but in fact are unrelated to love of comics or love of the books.

Comic books don't give a damn about money. Profiteers & frustrated profiteers do.

Some days my flow is light. Other days my flow is heavy.

Those days of heavy flow must be those days spent here.

doh!

doh!

You've found the best CG posters.

Unfortunately, that is most days. :(

Nonsense.

Trimming isn't reviled due to the money it generates. It's a "Cheat". A cheat that impacts what is cherished, and fans don't like cheaters harming books they collect.

Yes, cheats yeild superior profits. But those profits are not the core of the Game debate. It adds to the passions, no doubt, but money isn't the heart.

Unfortunately, that is most days. :(

Let's get to the mall & buy you some fresh linens. :foryou:

Nonsense.

Trimming isn't reviled due to the money it generates. It's a "Cheat". A cheat that impacts what is cherished, and fans don't like cheaters harming books they collect.

Yes, cheats yeild superior profits. But those profits are not the core of the Game debate. It adds to the passions, no doubt, but money isn't the heart.

kk

Definitely.

Nobody bothered to answer the question I posed a few dozen pages back. I asked why people who claim to object to pressing because of preservation issues don't spend 1% of that energy also objecting to dry cleaning, which can (and does) alter the appearance more than pressing many cases. Pedigree marks, arrival or date writing, dirt, dust shadows....all erased in many documented cases in order to hide the history of a book or make it look like it survived in better shape than it actually did.

It's an easy answer though, just not one they want to hear. No dollars are tied to the practice of dry cleaning, therefore nobody cares.

It's all about the money, always has been about the money, and always will be about the money.

Your post reads like you're an activist trying to change a system of government; these are comic books, and certification is a business.

We are having this conversation with the benefit of accepting a company's word on self-appointed authority and impartiality. It's also a conversation not afforded to dead collecting categories.

I just got off the phone with a gent who started a grading company - I'll echo his sentiment. One of the main reasons he decided to start-up a grading company was because he wanted to take a more active role in promoting the kind of hobby interests with which he has surrounded himself for over 20 years.

Take away the money-making aspect, and I think this is a central theme you'll find with most grading company's. There's always one or two people involved with a deep background and passion for the hobby.

When you look at the way the trust factor is built through influence and hobby presence, the common thread that makes up the fabric and mends the purpose and relevance of a certification company must always connect back to the collecting communities transfer of trust and acceptance toward a self-appointed grading authority and their position of impartiality.

If it sounds like I'm advocating for the hobby, it's because at the root of my concerns is how there is no certification training, no school, or regulatory checks/balances in place to make sure their self-appointment is with merit, and without this, grading companies and their people need to realize the effects negative perception of impropriety can have on their ability to regain people's trust and acceptance once the perception of impartiality is irretrievably lost.

Definitely.

Nobody bothered to answer the question I posed a few dozen pages back. I asked why people who claim to object to pressing because of preservation issues don't spend 1% of that energy also objecting to dry cleaning, which can (and does) alter the appearance more than pressing many cases. Pedigree marks, arrival or date writing, dirt, dust shadows....all erased in many documented cases in order to hide the history of a book or make it look like it survived in better shape than it actually did.

It's an easy answer though, just not one they want to hear. No dollars are tied to the practice of dry cleaning, therefore nobody cares.

It's all about the money, always has been about the money, and always will be about the money.

Obviously, but that's because there is a direct correlation between the profitability of a practice and the prevalence of it. Pressing is more prevalent because it's more profitable, and in turn, it's fixated upon to a greater degree.

So while there is some "hating the playa" going on, it's part of a larger argument. There are frustrated profiteers, but there are also frustrated collectors.

Definitely.

How is there no money involved? Removing dirt, dust shadows, and writing must have a potential to raise a grade just as pressing does.

Also and more generally, you're doing (at least some) anti-pressers a disservice. Why is it not possible for someone to be opposed to the act just because they fear it's harmful, or even just because it changes the state of a comic and they think this is an area where one should tread o so lightly?

Obviously, but that's because there is a direct correlation between the profitability of a practice and the prevalence of it. Pressing is more prevalent because it's more profitable, and in turn, it's fixated upon to a greater degree.

I'll give you most bronze and basically all moderns, but I would wager that dry cleaning is just as prevalent as pressing on silver age books and golden age books....and that's where state of preservation really ties into value. Keeping a 10 year old book clean and perfect? No big deal. Keeping a 60 year old book clean and perfect? Big money.

At the core of these debates is petty, envious, even spiteful, handwringing over comic book profits. Whos making them? Who isnt? How much & how?

These debates are couched in virtuous terms such as the hobby or the books but in fact are unrelated to love of comics or love of the books.

You mean people press books so they can make more money?

I thought they did it because it made the panels easier to read.

. Why is it not possible for someone to be opposed to the act just because they fear it's harmful, or even just because it changes the state of a comic and they think this is an area where one should tread o so lightly?

Like I said above, because I don't see the same hand wringing over dry cleaning. All of the above concerns should apply to that practice as well as pressing, but mysteriously they don't. (shrug)