• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

More pressing whining. It amuses me.

This whole thread is hilarious.

CGC will be just fine. The hobby will be just fine. CFP will be just fine. The whole pressing debate has been going on for years and there are far more people that just do not care than people who do.

You live, you die and the wheels on the bus go around and around.

Wasn't there a poll on this board that showed the number of people that don't care was only slightly higher than those that do?

The validity of that poll is directly related to how one defines the population of interest. . . people in general? Anyone who reads comic books? People on this board (a pretty specific subset of informed hobbyists)? Personally, I think the results of such a poll would have different results if it included non-board comic readers, but that's theoretical.

Me, personally? I have one pressed book that I know about, have no issues with telling people it was pressed, and if it were ever decided to start putting that information in the grader's notes or on the label, I would send the book in myself to have that information added, so that it is there for anyone who wants to know. If they aren't going to put it on there, then I will stick to just disclosing it myself.

I've been wondering about just that, every time someone posts that most people don't care. What if the people who do care, don't want to post for fear of being called names, scoffed at, derided, and all that other stuff? People who don't love pressing, or think it's restoration could be shy;)

These random polls,posted HERE aren't terribly valid.

My bet is most people off these boards have no idea what pressing is, unless you are talking about clothing;)

BTW, Richard, if you need someone to press in wrinkles, I've been able to do that successfully every time I've tried to iron...I did teach my daughter that "iron" is a 4 letter word;)

Wasn't there a poll on this board that showed the number of people that don't care was only slightly higher than those that do?

The validity of that poll is directly related to how one defines the population of interest. . . people in general? Anyone who reads comic books? People on this board (a pretty specific subset of informed hobbyists)? Personally, I think the results of such a poll would have different results if it included non-board comic readers, but that's theoretical.

I've been wondering about just that, every time someone posts that most people don't care. What if the people who do care, don't want to post for fear of being called names, scoffed at, derided, and all that other stuff? People who don't love pressing, or think it's restoration could be shy;)

These random polls,posted HERE aren't terribly valid.

My bet is most people off these boards have no idea what pressing is, unless you are talking about clothing;)

BTW, Richard, if you need someone to press in wrinkles, I've been able to do that successfully every time I've tried to iron...I did teach my daughter that "iron" is a 4 letter word;)

That certainly is a potential bias in the poll. My bigger concern, which we both alluded to, is whether these Boards are actually representative of the desired population, as a whole. One must define the population before running the poll, and then make sure it is well enough represented The demographics of this Board, I suspect, are more restrictive. That doesn't just apply to this topic, either, but to nearly every topic. For example, storage methods.

Certainly, we can get a poll with results that represent the feelings of this Board. We are fortunate here, in that there are members here with a finger on the pulse of the hobby through their everyday dealings, just as we are fortunate enough that there are people with a narrower view and/or focus. Different perspectives, in my opinion, definitely make the discussions livelier, and better. Passionate can be good, if sometimes a bit acerbic.

I'm also proud of the fact that I taught myself to iron. . . I needed it when I went to some training out-of-state! Ha ha!

What are the odds that any legit questions in this thread ever get answered from CGC?

You've got more chance of pushing a ball of mess uphill with a rubber fork than CGC ever coming back to this thread to answer anything.

Or more chance of a one legged man winning an asss kicking competition.

The original post was on Thanksgiving day. I thought it was odd to have been posted at all considering it's a major US holiday.

I doubt the op has even looked at the thread since then.

Now, everyone should be back to work today. Hopefully they will take a day or two to sift through the thread and then answer some questions.

Am I the only one who had books that CGC labeled pressed?

I'm pretty sure they were restored, and I don't have one in front of me...but I KNOW I've seen that.

So, they have actually noted it before.

I would be very interested to see a scan of such a book if you (or anybody else) have one

Now, everyone should be back to work today. Hopefully they will take a day or two to sift through the thread and then answer some questions.

One to two day TaT? :roflmao:

Should've asked using the Fast-Track posting icon, but if you're not an Elite Level Collectors Society member, I guess that option isn't available without paying the fee? (shrug)

I'm pretty sure they were restored, and I don't have one in front of me...but I KNOW I've seen that.

I would be very interested to see a scan of such a book if you (or anybody else) have one

Yes, CGC will (or used to anyway) label a book pressed if it was otherwise restored (such as "Cleaned and Pressed"). Not sure I've ever seen a restored book with just "Pressed" on the label since pressing is undetectable, isn't it?? :shy:

Yes, CGC will (or used to anyway) label a book pressed if it was otherwise restored (such as "Cleaned and Pressed"). Not sure I've ever seen a restored book with just "Pressed" on the label since pressing is undetectable, isn't it?? :shy:

Yes, there are purple label notations which ordinarily includes " cleaned and pressed"

Yes, there are purple label notations which ordinarily includes " cleaned and pressed"

Here's the only one that I own:

captainamerica75.jpg

Here's the only one that I own:

captainamerica75.jpg

:o

:ohnoez:

What are the odds that any legit questions in this thread ever get answered from CGC?

Not as great as the thread being locked.

Well, CGC did come back to basically tell you all to shut up, so I think the odds of legitimate questions being answered is probably nil.

CGCs stance has always been to label a book pressed if the book/cover has been cleaned. It is part and parcel of that technique that has to happen. So I a book has had its cover cleaned ( you can tell if it has been done) then by the very nature of the cleaning the cover has to be pressed.