• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most taboo question on the web.

296 posts in this topic

Yes. I rule.

Plus I figure I owe CG several educational posts after my Wednesday night drunk posting cost everyone reading it some IQ points.

Your drunk posting < my drunk posting. :sumo:

No doubt. I sound like a mo-mo. You sound like Alistair Cooke.

Due to working 7 days a week for months I haven't been drinking for a loooooong time now. I have two weeks off over Christmas so I'm going to be Alistair Cookeing all over these here bloody boards.

I don't see what the fuss is unless CGC are making promises they are not keeping.

(Are they? I have no idea, I hardly ever submit).

It seems pretty straightforward to me: as long as people keep submitting, they will keep operating. If it gets so bad that they stop making money, they may be forced to change their way of doing business in some way, and there are certainly many options for that. It would be nice if they guaranteed a particular TAT and then compensated customers when they fail in some way, but there are all sorts of things they could do that would be nice. Doesn't mean they have to do anything unless the dictates of making money say otherwise.

Sometimes when companies overcommit there is a decline in quality, things are rushed in an attempt to keep up. Has that been the case of late?

And as for discussing salaries, it is obviously a sensitive issue for some, in questionable taste, but then most of the internet is questionable taste and we are all free to ignore the things we find offensive. Except Rick Astly, we are not free to ignore him, as much as we might try to.

Part of me believes that the turnaround times are stopping people (like me) from turning in books to be graded.

Current TaTs are keeping people on this board from submitting. I have no doubt of that. However, we are a small segment of the submitting population. The real question is, are current TaTs preventing the general submitting population from sending books in?

Fast track the books for sale, slow track the stuff for your collection. The wait doesn't matter if it is for yourself. The pain of losing bread on moderns that flag or movie hype that dies down is where all the sturm and drang occur.

You mean it's about the money again?

:devil:

The idea that they would close shop or limit the amount of submissions they'll accept would only work on Fantasy Island. It might not be a bad idea, but totally unrealistic.

That being said, I have no idea what they can realistically do to get TAT's back to normal aside from what's alredy been mentioned.

Totally agree. I've never heard of a business saying "We have too MUCH business. Lets close our doors until we get caught up." lol

I know of a few. I also know others with waiting lists stretching out as far as four years

Corporations?

I don't know. Three American wheel manufacturers (one now defunct), one very popular auto customizing shop, and one less known but still in very high demand within his niche auto customizing shop. The auto customizing shops have the waiting list. One about two years, one about four. The wheel factories will close orders every once in a while when they get too backed up. These factories specialize in made-to-order personalized wheels. One of them has been in business for like 30 years or more though I think. Corporation or not, if the entire operation is less than a dozen people, what's the difference?

Getting your stockholders to approve a suspension of income would prove difficult if not impossible.

But they're fine with reduced income due to people who don't submit or send in less because of the turn-around times apparently.

The idea that they would close shop or limit the amount of submissions they'll accept would only work on Fantasy Island. It might not be a bad idea, but totally unrealistic.

That being said, I have no idea what they can realistically do to get TAT's back to normal aside from what's alredy been mentioned.

Totally agree. I've never heard of a business saying "We have too MUCH business. Lets close our doors until we get caught up." lol

I know of a few. I also know others with waiting lists stretching out as far as four years

Corporations?

I don't know. Three American wheel manufacturers (one now defunct), one very popular auto customizing shop, and one less known but still in very high demand within his niche auto customizing shop. The auto customizing shops have the waiting list. One about two years, one about four. The wheel factories will close orders every once in a while when they get too backed up. These factories specialize in made-to-order personalized wheels. One of them has been in business for like 30 years or more though I think. Corporation or not, if the entire operation is less than a dozen people, what's the difference?

Getting your stockholders to approve a suspension of income would prove difficult if not impossible.

But they're fine with reduced income due to people who don't submit or send in less because of the turn-around times apparently.

That hasn't happened yet. CGC are grading more books than ever

Corporations?

That hasn't happened yet. CGC are grading more books than ever

That may be true. But unless I'm the only one not submitting much due to the slowness, they could be grading even more.

I like what my cousin says when people ask him how much he makes...

"How much I make or how much the government thinks I make?"

(tsk)

The government knows exactly what I make. I don't hide any of it. I pay my taxes and do what is asked of me from my country. Anyone who doesn't is a criminal in my mind. Sorry. Perhaps you meant this in jest.

Moral compass? Check.

Wound too tight? Check.

lol

On a serious note - Sure, sometimes pay is sensitive info (I do think people measure themselves way too much by the size of their paycheck......and money changes people in pretty ugly ways).

However, under these circumstances, and particularly given that posters have said they contacted CGC privatelly and didn't receive a response, I beliveve general information about a new graders compensation package would help......these boards could be a tremendous source of prospects. And if CGC were able to hire more graders, doesn't this TAT challenge go away?

Finally, on the subject of compensation, i'll say just like most people seem to: "I don't earn back commensurately to what I contribute to my company". I know guys that make $200K that say that, and $2.0M that say that. Life is a competition/game and money is one of the ways for keeping score (not my philosophy, just seems to be the case).

I haven't submitted in ages (other than onsite). When does the charge hit your CC? Is it when they receive and process or is it when they send them back to you?

I think upon receiving the books.

Hire more graders

Do NOT send graders to shows to witness grading where there is no on site grading.

My two cents

More like a couple of bucks worth. Sometimes a short post illustrates a single point well. Thanks

Dang, $74,000.00 :o

Is that a good salary by US standards ?

Well above average. I think average was $42,000 last year.

I'm thinking that nobody is going to get that number though. That's just to entice people, unless you're bringing some real cred to the job.

It is impressive though. Even the $50K is above the national average.

That's not a high wage in Australia. The minimum wage is Nearly $16 P.H. (30k per year) and the average is $69,992 per year.

The minimum wage in the U.S. is laughable really.

+1

Most of my friends in unskilled work get 22 an hour. Hell unemployment benefits/study support in Aus equate to 18k a year and you are allowed to remain on them indefinitely.

This really is the lucky country.

Also currently 1 AUD = 1.04 USD

Corporations?

When collecting money surpasses actually providing a service or product for the money you collect on the scale of importance, sounds like something is wrong. How many shareholders who don't actually work at CGC could there possibly be?

It's not important how many. No one would approve such a move.

The business has to continue to take orders in order to continue to make money. Your still paying salaries, ultilities, business loans; none of your expenses stop just because you've stopped taking in money.

Nobody wants to invest in a company with that kind of mentality.

Your actually only putting yourself more financially in the hole by doing it.

Remember, people are creatures of habit. If you take two months off from taking orders so you can get caught up, you're saying no to people that want to use your service. You're breaking the cycle. They may not come back. They may decide they want to collect just raw comics. They may move on to something else.

Some business' stay open when they remodel just out of fear of breaking that cycle.

And for those who say people may do that anyway because of the long TAT's, it hasn't happened yet. CGC keeps growing in business despite that and raising prices.

I say their business growth is tied into Walking Dead and modern Image tulip mania. People are sending in massive amounts of these kind of comic books to be graded for the quick flip which is slowing up the process. Once this bubble bursts like all bubbles do,then expect less people submiting which will return CGC back to normal speeding times.

So blame these slow times on Walking Dead and modern Image Tulip mania.

:preach: