• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRICES PAID FOR RAW VS. CGC?

44 posts in this topic

There are very few people I would buy a raw book for GPA or higher.F_T,GAtor,Bob Storms,Dale.Probably it for me.So yes I would,but it has to be the right book from the right guy. (thumbs u

I would agree with this. However paying GPA may or may not be such a big deal as sometimes GPA is less than Overstreet.

who uses OSPG for pricing anymore?

People in selling threads on the board when OSPG > GPA. ;)

There are very few people I would buy a raw book for GPA or higher.F_T,GAtor,Bob Storms,Dale.Probably it for me.So yes I would,but it has to be the right book from the right guy. (thumbs u

I would agree with this. However paying GPA may or may not be such a big deal as sometimes GPA is less than Overstreet.

It's rare that I've seen that occur.

Lots of people.

I've seen it several times to be honest.

I've seen it several times to be honest.

I look at all avenues to get pricing clink,Ebay,GPA,Overstreet,but at the end of the day if I want it I will get it.Regardless of price.

When selling raw books, you use OSPG. GPA is for slabbed comics only.

Secondly, the condition of paying higher for raw books over CGC happens more than people think.

For example, I've seen books in FN to VF+ range sell raw on eBay for more than what graded copies in the same grade fetch.

Hulk 181 is probably the best example of a comic that repeats this trend more than any other comic produced in the last 40 years.

Why do people do this? If the grade is the same and the Slab is cheaper buy the slab and crack it. Ive done this a couple of times as I only want SS slabs everything else I like to be able to hold.

Lots of people.

I've been using them since 1979, but (sigh) I don't think you need it anymore (for pricing; for market info, etc. yes). I find GPA to be much more current. Yes it's for slabs, but I deduct from the GPA "what feels right" for raws...which, thanks to this thread, now feels even righter...

Why do people do this? If the grade is the same and the Slab is cheaper buy the slab and crack it. Ive done this a couple of times as I only want SS slabs everything else I like to be able to hold.

Because as soon as you have a CGC slab with anything lower than 8.5, you might as well put a 50% off sticker on it.

With the CI move, make it 75% off.

Because as soon as you have a CGC slab with anything lower than 8.5, you might as well put a 50% off sticker on it.

With the CI move, make it 75% off.

This just proves that some books should never be CGC'd

Common books will always be common and a $25 plastic slab won't change that. :sumo:

Lots of people.

I've been using them since 1979, but (sigh) I don't think you need it anymore (for pricing; for market info, etc. yes). I find GPA to be much more current. Yes it's for slabs, but I deduct from the GPA "what feels right" for raws...which, thanks to this thread, now feels even righter...

You might be right that it's not needed anymore but GPA isn't the be-all and end-all either. It's good (though still not complete) on high census books and potentially much less useful on low census books or books that haven't had a documented sale in a year or more.

The key here is use multiple sources for pricing. (thank you captain obvious)

That's certainly the most sensible route. But for me, GPA alone - incomplete as it is - gets me 80% of the way there. For the other 20% I do what many boardies have suggested: pay what I want for the books I want.

(it's not that I ever planned to stop using OSPG, it just happened naturally. That annual feverish eager anticipation in the months leading up to release of the next OSPG will be missed!)

I paid GPA prices for a couple of raw books once, and got taken to the cleaners when I went to resell them. GPA is for graded books, and I'd never pay GPA price for a raw book ever again. It's a comic book, not original art - whatever I am looking at can be easily found again, elsewhere.

+1

It doesn't matter how reliable or trustworthy the seller is, you're a sucker if you pay full GPA for a raw book unless the book is absolutely impossible to find otherwise or the GPA data is inconclusive (eg. one GPA sale from 2004 for $200 even though raw NM copies of the same book are currently selling for $500).

Think about it for a moment - if you're paying GPA for a raw book, you're actually paying GPA plus any future slabbing cost.

right, you need to look at the GPA data carefully...does it actually show the FMV of the book or just a random price? unless you think that GPA is low (vs. FMV) by AT LEAST the cost of slabbing, then you probably need to figure in a discount of at least the cost of slabbing into what you're willing to pay.

it will also depend on the raw book/seller. let's say you think current gpa is a little off/inaccurate (let's say the 9.8s sold have been miswraps and/or OW/W pages and your raw is perfect) and the seller gives an ironclad 9.8 guarantee, then maybe paying above GPA makes sense.

or the book that rarely ever shows up.