• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High-Unusual web sale

16 posts in this topic

I was checking out Chuckies reports from Sandy Eggo and noticed he mentioned a half price sale. Clicked over to his CGC stuff and sure enough-half price including his MH2 listings. Nothing spectacular but I picked up some 9.6, 9.4 bronze FF's and some 9.4 Thors...Just thought I'd pass the info along...Like I said its unusual for him to cut prices like this. Oh yeah, free shipping as well.

Good to know...I saw the same report and this struck me as funny to:

"While sales have been remarkably brisk here at the convention, our online sales are down a little right now. They're certainly far better than last year, but I'm still perplexed at why 50% off and free freight for all orders over $40 during our San Diego Sale isn't absolutely overwhelming us with orders. Could it be that such a great number of our clients are at the convention that the show acts as a drag on our entire system? That's the only real event that I think could be affecting things..." - Chuckles

Lay off the peyote and it'll come to ya once the haze lifts ... I was gonna say that it's probably that with arserape prices and overgraded books, even 50% off and free shipping will not get people to open their wallets? 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

Foom - I'm happy you found something worth your time and $$$. Can't same the same for me and my tastes smile.gif But i enjoyed the newsletter and the pics...

I'm not 100% sure, as my memory ain't what it used to be, but I was interested in a few books that I could swear were listed at $75 each before the sell. He was having some type of sale then & both books were cut to $50. When I jumped back after hearing of the 50% off, the books were now $100 & on sale at $50 each. Unless they have been having a 50% off sale for well over a month...

I apologize if I've got this off, as I'm not a Mile High basher, but it was annoying to see the books listed at the same sale price.

Yep, he will sometimes mark them up before marking them down, if that makes any sense. Personally, I'd like to see tighter grading, and "everyday best prices" applied across the board--and then I'd have no problem being a regular. I just don't respond well to "SALE" because we all should know (thanks to OS guide and GPA) what we should relatively pay for a book.

I checked GPA on the stuff under 9.6 and all are in the range. That said, I think the GPA sampling is not large enough at this point on non key bronze age material. I probably overpaid on the Thor's by $10-20 according to GPA but again, the sampling is too small. I have seen another board members FF MH2's doing well in ebay...

I'm not 100% sure, as my memory ain't what it used to be, but I was interested in a few books that I could swear were listed at $75 each before the sell. He was having some type of sale then & both books were cut to $50. When I jumped back after hearing of the 50% off, the books were now $100 & on sale at $50 each. Unless they have been having a 50% off sale for well over a month...

I apologize if I've got this off, as I'm not a Mile High basher, but it was annoying to see the books listed at the same sale price.

thats a good point. One issue with dealers who show up at conventions with 50% Off sales on all books was whether they had marked up all th eprices beforehand. Most of the time, it was agred that that was just too much work, that no delaer would bother, and, was just trying to move a lot of slow sellers.

But, now comes the internet and computer database inventories. Ever think just how easy it is to do a few searches, select thousands of targeted books, and, with a click of the mouse, change all of their prices? Then label them all witha certain inhouse code, so you can track them easily again and change it back?? It would be interesting to track MH prices to see just what if anything is done to them viv a viv all these 50% off sales he constantly runs.

Interesting, ... but not something I want to invest a lot of time doing, however.

Most times when Chuck offers a straight xx% off through the site, that's what you're getting, but when he combines it with one of those "keyword deals", he does auto-jump the prices across the board to compensate.

He does raise prices before having these 50% sales but it's usually selective and not across the board. His CGC books were not "jumped" before this sale though as I've been looking at a couple for awhile....

There are some good deals to be found if you look around.....or there were before I ordered last week..... devil.gif

Jim

JC is correct about the markups the the markdowns. But if Chuck made a business decision to tighten up his grading standards, he would make up for the drop in prices due to this change in regrading with a hugh increase in $ volume. There are a couple of books I would like to pick up in this sale but he banned me from ever buying from him again. So I bought a wig and moustach and plan to go to the superstore today with cash.

Link to this 1/2 off sale? confused.gif

www.milehighcomics.com -- the 1/2 sale is calculated on their prices.

OMG!

They want $1750/2 = $875 for a Fantastic Four issue 2 in Good (2.0)

They go for about $300 on eBay and book for $298. 893frustrated.gif

Crack pipe prices indeed... frown.gif

Link to this 1/2 off sale? confused.gif

www.milehighcomics.com -- the 1/2 sale is calculated on their prices.

OMG!

They want $1750/2 = $875 for a Fantastic Four issue 2 in Good (2.0)

They go for about $300 on eBay and book for $298. 893frustrated.gif

Crack pipe prices indeed... frown.gif

I agree with you on the higher priced stuff...outrageous!!

But if you are looking for lower priced stuff, they have great deals that can round out your collection like I have with mine! thumbsup2.gif

Did anyone question him about his shady mark-up practices? I'd like to see his PR response. jduran1, what was the reason he banned you? Wasn't there a scandal not too long ago about mile high auctions where employees were taking part in bidding on his products along with customers giving them inside info. on how much a person is willing to bid?

Alright, I'm no fan of Chuckies...but for instance he has a MTU #24 CGC 9.6 with white pages listed over there originally $100...now $50. Yes, the original price is Peyote high...but the markdown makes it attractive. How is any bronze age Spidey title CGC 9.6/White a bad deal at fifty bucks? And a bondage cover to boot ;-)

One of the Thors I picked up, 9.4 off white/MH2, is also listed at Pedigree Comics...Doug has the Pacific 9.4 listed for $250 with a current $205 bid in place. I picked mine up for an even hundred.

Anyway, continue to feel free to hammer away at him...