• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Desktop Comicon? (3D Desktop Printing is here)

44 posts in this topic

I think my mind is officially blown, can't wrap my thoughts around this: 3D Desktop Printing. So I hope to read a good discussion.

Digital comics are here, that's a reality. But what about downloading shared files to print out statues, action figures, model kits, replica movie weapons, fantasy helmets or shields, character busts, playsets, scale space craft, practically any object you can imagine?

It's already here. Expensive, relatively. For now.

For someone who's comic book fandom included Aurora models, Super Sculpey, action figure and statue bashing... my mind vaporlocks with the enormity of desktop 3D printing.

Well, what's it mean for fandom in the (nearer than you think) future? (shrug) Thoughts? :wishluck:

(for extra future shock, look up "project wikigun". Just sayin')

Wired magazine had a great article on this last month. Also, Japan now has action figure booths where you can make a figure of you.

In the next five years I think 3D printing will be on a level where you hit the local Office Depot and pick up a printer. Pretty awesome.

Office desks will soon be cluttered when you can print your own new toys.

What if the desk was sitting inside a 3D printed house?

3D Print A House In 20 Hours

"...his invention called contour crafting is essentially a largescale 3D printer that can quickly fabricate a house in a layer-by-layer process via a movable gantry."

Mind blown yet?

I've been following DYI 3D desktop printers for a while and cannot wait until they get more reasonable. There are a couple kits that will allowing you to go as large as you desire (or have space/filament for), I have lofty aspirations of having the Iron Throne.

I have lofty aspirations of having the Iron Throne.

Damn. That is one cool lofty aspiration. (thumbs u

Anybody have thoughts on what it will mean for Fandom? Collecting?

Imagine some super rare highly desired vintage action figure...

Someone laser-scans one into a cad program, uploads the file.

Then anyone in the world could download the file and print one out at home.

That's got to mean something? About scarcity. Values. Hoarding. Sharing. Conventions. Travel. And a million other issues.

But damned if I know what. :blush:

Office desks will soon be cluttered when you can print your own new toys.

What if the desk was sitting inside a 3D printed house?

3D Print A House In 20 Hours

"...his invention called contour crafting is essentially a largescale 3D printer that can quickly fabricate a house in a layer-by-layer process via a movable gantry."

Mind blown yet?

!!