• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of tape to use to tape back Mylite2 flaps?

38 posts in this topic

Kind of tape? Really? Scotch, perhaps?

Duct?

I hope you're suggesting archival, anti-glare, reduced-plasticity, toxic-free, rounded-edged, child-safe Scotch brand tape. Any other kind will potentially damage the comic within 4,000 years.

Duct?

I hope you're suggesting archival, anti-glare, reduced-plasticity, toxic-free, rounded-edged, child-safe Scotch brand tape. Any other kind will potentially damage the comic within 4,000 years.

lol:makepoint:

I use the Scotch #810 Magic Transparent Tape. Have been using this tape for 10 years, and it comes clean off if you open the flap - even after a decade.

The Scotch #811 Magic Plus Removable Transparent Tape has very low tack, but leaves a residue on the mylar.

The Avery dots are okay, but after a few years, the stickers won't come clean off the mylar either. The sticky part really dries out and will tear, leaving residue on the mylar. Really annoying. The Avery dots however are a good short-term solution.

2c

These work pretty well and are safer than cellophane type tape.

Avery 3/4" Dots

At $3.79 retail for a pack of 480 they are pretty economical as well. And you can write a little notation on them if you want, or a price if you are selling.

+1

Same here. The red ones. :cool:

I like the Avery labels but I use these. http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/Labels/Identification-Labels/Multi_Purpose-Labels_05424.htm?N=0&Ns=&refchannel=c042fd03ab30a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD . Even cheaper at Staples.

Ditch the tape people! :sumo:

Use 3M post it flags - they work great, and even if you do 'tag' a book, you can carefully remove them without a 'tape-pull'

Use 3M post it flags - they work great, and even if you do 'tag' a book, you can carefully remove them without a 'tape-pull'

(thumbs u

And, ditch the Avery labels - they deteriorate and bond to mylar over time, and create a mess.

Duct?

Recent studies and testing have revealed the potential for damage is actually within 3,250 years ... a much more immediate threat in my book!

(thumbs u

And, ditch the Avery labels - they deteriorate and bond to mylar over time, and create a mess.

That could be environmental. I just checked several of my DC BA Horror books that have been in Mylite 2/fullback, sitting in acid free boxes untouched since 2004/2005. The Avery brand dots held up perfectly and pulled easily from the Mylite 2 with no residue left behind. They also stuck back just fine.

They have been stored in San Francisco, which has a mild and pretty consistent year round climate. So I am wondering if climate may be a factor. Also wonder if the ones you had experience with were actually Avery brand (that could make a difference as well.)

(thumbs u

That could be environmental. I just checked several of my DC BA Horror books that have been in Mylite 2/fullback, sitting in acid free boxes untouched since 2004/2005. The Avery brand dots held up perfectly and pulled easily from the Mylite 2 with no residue left behind. They also stuck back just fine.

They have been stored in San Francisco, which has a mild and pretty consistent year round climate. So I am wondering if climate may be a factor. Also wonder if the ones you had experience with were actually Avery brand (that could make a difference as well.)

I don't use them - I just buy books that have them ripped and stuck to the fricken' mylar :pullhair:

(thumbs u

I don't use them - I just buy books that have them ripped and stuck to the fricken' mylar :pullhair:

They may be a cheap knockoff.

To unhinge an Avery Dotted book just slip a finger under the flap, slide it to the dot. and lift up. Neat and complete.