• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how do you press a book?

146 posts in this topic

I've never spent the big big money some people on the boards have on a single book so bear with me.

The one book I did spend on was an ASM #1 3.0. I don't view it as an investment, it was a book that I thought would forever be out of my means, growing up without a lot of money everything seems expensive. Sure I don't want the value to drop, but if it did that would be the time to upgrade. I collect books that, as a kid, I'd only seen pictures of, reselling never enters the equation.

Just curious - if you don't care about value, why upgrade at all? Why get a 5.0 and not stick with the 3.0, given the 3.0 is complete. I mean, you only want to read it right?

Silly question. I don't plan on selling comics in my collection but that doesn't preclude me from buying high grade copies.

I guess I have a hard time believing that anyone who collects keys or high grades is completely dissociated from hoping the value keeps going up, up, up. But ok.

Also - calling the question silly is needlessly dismissive. Just sayin'...

I've never spent the big big money some people on the boards have on a single book so bear with me.

The one book I did spend on was an ASM #1 3.0. I don't view it as an investment, it was a book that I thought would forever be out of my means, growing up without a lot of money everything seems expensive. Sure I don't want the value to drop, but if it did that would be the time to upgrade. I collect books that, as a kid, I'd only seen pictures of, reselling never enters the equation.

Just curious - if you don't care about value, why upgrade at all? Why get a 5.0 and not stick with the 3.0, given the 3.0 is complete. I mean, you only want to read it right?

Silly question. I don't plan on selling comics in my collection but that doesn't preclude me from buying high grade copies.

I guess I have a hard time believing that anyone who collects keys or high grades is completely dissociated from hoping the value keeps going up, up, up. But ok.

Right! I mean c'mon,let's spend thousands and thousands of dollars on comics,but it's okay if they become worthless tomorrow.I'm just a fan of the medium,and buy to read only. Hahahahahaha! :roflmao:

Right! I mean c'mon,let's spend thousands and thousands of dollars on comics,but it's okay if they become worthless tomorrow.I'm just a fan of the medium,and buy to read only. Hahahahahaha! :roflmao:

Again, I don't read them. I hoard them, and call them precious.

Believe what you like (shrug)

It was a little dismissive and I apologize for that. I need to be more tolerant of people who make assumptions. :foryou:

I've been reading / collecting comics for over 30 years and if all my books were suddenly worth a dime I wouldn't care. I never intend to part with them...EVAR.

Believe what you like (shrug)

It was a little dismissive and I apologize for that. I need to be more tolerant of people who make assumptions. :foryou:

And I, in turn, will attempt to be less assumptive...and all was well with the world... :foryou:

=Logan510

I've been reading / collecting comics for over 30 years and if all my books were suddenly worth a dime I wouldn't care. I never intend to part with them...EVAR.

Think of your children - or other heirs. They will be happier when you are gone if you collected stuff worth $$$.....

=Logan510

Think of your children - or other heirs. They will be happier when you are gone if you collected stuff worth $$$.....

F my children!! Last week I fainted, was taken to the hospital and given an IV; although I was half-awake, when my kids saw the tubbing and the oxygen being given to me, within the first 15 seconds of ther arrival. I heard them say "he had a good life, please Doctor, take him off of life support, he would have liked that better that way..." The Doctor was like..."uhm, how old are you?"..:my daughter said: "I'm almost seven".... :o

=Logan510

F my children!! Last week I fainted, was taken to the hospital and given an IV; although I was half-awake, when my kids saw the tubbing and the oxygen being given to me, within the first 15 seconds of ther arrival. I heard them say "he had a good life, please Doctor, take him off of life support, he would have liked that better that way..." The Doctor was like..."uhm, how old are you?"..:my daughter said: "I'm almost seven".... :o

im soo sorry to hear that but it had me lauhing out loud

=Logan510

Then think of your mistress' kids...

=Logan510

I would, but they get on my nerves..the other day when I was in the kitchen, those snotty kids told me that they "like it when I come to see their mom", because they can play videogames comfortably and listen to music, as oppossed to when she spends half hour screaming in her room, when "the black guy comes to visit"

=Logan510

1) I don't have children and 2) If I did I wouldn't be collecting comics with their future in mind. There are better more stable ways of taking care of that.

=Logan510

I would, but they get on my nerves..the other day when I was in the kitchen, those snotty kids told me that they "like it when I come to see their mom", because they can play videogames comfortably and listen to music, as oppossed to when she spends half hour screaming in her room, when "the black guy comes to visit"

:roflmao:

I'm not saying I collect only for investment,but it would be nice to sustain value if not gain.I love the medium,but collectors collect because there is value to their collections.

Tell me how you feel when you put up 5-10 thousand dollars for a book my friend.

Oak who is feeling like Cal today

I don't think anything specific to comics (pressing, CGC changes, eBay crooks, investor jitters, etc.) has anything to do with those comics that are trending downward (which anymore is probably most non-"keys"). It's happening to all paper collectibles.

I just picked up a massive collection of books including many limited and signed editions. But I've no illusion that their value is much more than half of what it was a few years ago. Some of these books were limited to only 50 copies! (that's far fewer than the number of extant copies of Action #1), yet many of these are still going for original issue price (or less). Yet there are no similar controversies in books right now such as pressing or grade-inflation.

Electronic readers will continue to savage collectibles prices, as well as competition from big-budget movies, games and TV that can now visualize the fantastic worlds that once could only be visited in the pages of comics or literature. Add to this upcoming generations that prefer visuals and text-shorthand to true reading, and comics are hardly alone in their marketplace woes. And as it comes to golden-age and even early silver-age, many lesser characters are simply forgotten or completely unknown to new collectors, which is itself a natural order of things collected.

In the 19th century there were probably 1,000 authors that were popular in their day. Today, maybe two-dozen are still actively collected (if that).

The pressing controversy doesn't even amount to a microbe on the back of a flea on the back of a mouse in terms of effect on future valuations compared to other forces at work.

+1

=Logan510

1) I don't have children and 2) If I did I wouldn't be collecting comics with their future in mind. There are better more stable ways of taking care of that.

That's my initial point: was only saying that for those that spend "significant" sums on comics, they MUST be hoping the values increase, otherwise it is an un-wise way to spend "significant" sums (and by "significant" I mean percentage of money one has/makes)

=Logan510

Hilarious.

:facepalm:

=Logan510

That's my initial point: was only saying that for those that spend "significant" sums on comics, they MUST be hoping the values increase, otherwise it is an un-wise way to spend "significant" sums (and by "significant" I mean percentage of money one has/makes)

When I was buying cheap bronze 20-25 years ago I absolutely hoped that it would increase in value. (looking back I should have been buying less books but spending that money on SA/GA oh well) At times, I have thought of dabbling in low print modern stuff but I feel that it's a shoot long term, so I stay away from that.

These days, I buy stuff that appeals to me on some personal level and/or was a part of my childhood. I still want to buy high grade stuff at times and I do hope that it increases in value. Sometimes, it's just cool to own a high grade copy of a comic that you know is scarce in HG.

One example of upgrading for me would be my copy of Richie Rich 1. It's about a 3.0, but I want a higher grade copy. It's always been a grail book for me. Do I need a higher grade copy? No, but collecting is never about need.