• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes Movies and TV Get it Right

20 posts in this topic

Sometimes movies or tv get it so wrong, it makes you wonder how much they are paying for their so called technical advisors:

From THE LOST BOYS - Sam is in the LCS:

Sam: Actually, I'm looking for a Batman number 14.

Edgar: That's a very serious book, man.

Alan: Only five in existence.

Sam: Four, actually. I'm always looking out for the other three.

Five (or four) in existence?????

From COMIC BOOK VILLAINS

"Marvel Mystery #1"

No such book.

Yet sometimes I am proven wrong:

From the TV show BONES, FBI Agent Sealy Booth is investigating a comic book related murder. While going through the victim's place he starts pulling out some comic books and says:

"This is Batman #127 featuring The Hammer of Thor. This is worth about 300 bucks!"

I roll my eyes but decide to look it up (I know little about Batman as I only have a few BA ones). Well, by gum he is right. And given this is an episode from a few years ago, the $300 value is pretty on (depending on condition).

So as opposed to what movies or tv shows got it wrong, which has been discussed here a few times, can you come up with some others that got comic book references right?

PS - I remember either a DRAGNET or an ADAM-12 episode where a guys wife burned her husband's copy of either SUPERMAN#1 or ACTION #1. As I recall the guy said it was worth $5,000. Anyone have a clue on that episode?

People that are not in the hobby hear us talking shop may as well be listening to someone speak a foreign language. They pick up a word here or there but for the most part it's just jibba-jabba to them.

I think for the most part as far as movies are concerned, it's just rhetoric because 99.9999% of people don't have a clue and really don't care.

People that are not in the hobby hear us talking shop may as well be listening to someone speak a foreign language. They pick up a word here or there but for the most part it's just jibba-jabba to them.

I think for the most part as far as movies are concerned, it's just rhetoric because 99.9999% of people don't have a clue and really don't care.

I agree but my point was when they got it right. I am interested in the other 00.0001%.

(Admit it - you didn't real my post all the way through, did you?)

Sometimes movies or tv get it so wrong, it makes you wonder how much they are paying for their so called technical advisors:

From COMIC BOOK VILLAINS

"Marvel Mystery #1"

No such book.

From the TV show BONES, FBI Agent Sealy Booth is investigating a comic book related murder. While going through the victim's place he starts pulling out some comic books and says:

"This is Batman #127 featuring The Hammer of Thor. This is worth about 300 bucks!"

I roll my eyes but decide to look it up (I know little about Batman as I only have a few BA ones). Well, by gum he is right. And given this is an episode from a few years ago, the $300 value is pretty on (depending on condition).

So as opposed to what movies or tv shows got it wrong, which has been discussed here a few times, can you come up with some others that got comic book references right?

PS - I remember either a DRAGNET or an ADAM-12 episode where a guys wife burned her husband's copy of either SUPERMAN#1 or ACTION #1. As I recall the guy said it was worth $5,000. Anyone have a clue on that episode?

Batman #14 apparently has 75 blue label (i think, i just looked it up and closed the window and the exact number is irrelevant)(i could have re-checked by the time i finish typing this)

and Marvel Mystery...

Marvel+Mystery+Comics+2.jpg

isn't this it?

From COMIC BOOK VILLAINS

"Marvel Mystery #1"

No such book.

Batman #14 apparently has 75 blue label (i think, i just looked it up and closed the window and the exact number is irrelevant)(i could have re-checked by the time i finish typing this)

and Marvel Mystery...

Marvel+Mystery+Comics+2.jpg

isn't this it?

Nope - the #1 is a simple Marvel Comics:

MARVELCOMICS1.jpg

The image your posted is #2, when the title changed to MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS.

Was it this one?A costumed thief calling himself "The Crimson Crusader" has been stealing comic books, movie posters and publicity photos of various superheroes.

Dragnet 1969 - Crimson Crusader Part 1 by DwightFrye

Dragnet 1969 - Crimson Crusader Part 2 by DwightFrye

I was just watching an old Amazing Stories, "Gather Ye Acorns," on Netflix. This guy (a dreamer) collected stuff since childhood and was a penniless derelict by the end, until some folks noticed he had some pristine collectibles in his old car.

Young Forrest Whittaker was one of the scouts. He mentioned 'is that Marvel Mystery 1?' there's none in that condition; easily 20grand. And hey it's the first appearance of Superman in Action; 10grand easy. And there was a Tec 27 on the Hood. This was in the early 80s. Not sure about the accuracy, but it was pretty cool.

Thanks to NotSure for pointing this episode out in the water cooler. (thumbs u

*OK OK so it was not technically,, MM until issue 2... but still great to see that scene.

I was just watching an old Amazing Stories, "Gather Ye Acorns," on Netflix. This guy (a dreamer) collected stuff since childhood and was a penniless derelict by the end, until some folks noticed he had some pristine collectibles in his old car.

Young Forrest Whittaker was one of the scouts. He mentioned 'is that Marvel Mystery 1?' there's none in that condition; easily 20grand. And hey it's the first appearance of Superman in Action; 10grand easy. And there was a Tec 27 on the Hood. This was in the early 80s. Not sure about the accuracy, but it was pretty cool.

*OK OK so it was not technically,, MM until issue 2... but still great to see that scene.

Forrest Whittaker always brings something cool to a film. And I agree - it is my favorite episode of AMAZING STORIES.

Was it this one?

A costumed thief calling himself "The Crimson Crusader" has been stealing comic books, movie posters and publicity photos of various superheroes.

That wasn't it. Interesting though as I am a great fan of DRAGNET but do not remember that one.

This was more like a domestic dispute where the guy's wife burns his comic. The fact it was a domestic incident made me speculate also o0n it being an ADAM-12 ep ("One Adam 12 - One Adam 12 - see the man") kind of thing.

Forrest Whittaker always brings something cool to a film. And I agree - it is my favorite episode of AMAZING STORIES.

lol you guys name drop Forrest Whittaker from that episode and don't mention that the dreamer was non other than the impatient youn man always looking to the future Luke Skywalker.

lol you guys name drop Forrest Whittaker from that episode and don't mention that the dreamer was non other than the impatient youn man always looking to the future Luke Skywalker.

Probably because was this already discussed in another thread that mentioned Hamil. But this is such a well known episode here that pretty much everyone already knows Jonathan Quick is played by Mark Hamil. It would be like taking pains to mention that Superman is actually Clark Kent.

Thus, we of the boards always seek the more esoteric, for that is the manner in which we roll.

Was it this one?A costumed thief calling himself "The Crimson Crusader" has been stealing comic books, movie posters and publicity photos of various superheroes.

Never really sat through a Dragnet episode before. Does seem to have been some sort of influence on Police Squad.... :insane:

Never really sat through a Dragnet episode before. Does seem to have been some sort of influence on Police Squad.... :insane:
The original b&w DRAGNET was cool. Almost film noir in feel at times. The modern DRAGNET 1967, 1968, 1969 were a bit silly. But I am in Dan Akroyd's camp. I just really like Jack Webb.

If I were a technical advisor regarding comics in a film, I'd make sure to portray it inaacurately to ensure plenty of residual fanboy discussion about it long after it leaves theaters.

If I were a technical advisor regarding comics in a film, I'd make sure to portray it inaacurately to ensure plenty of residual fanboy discussion about it long after it leaves theaters.

The "suits" beat you to your "great idea" in the mid-70's...the beginning of the end of Art Cinema we now mostly see...

CAL who did not understand Papillon getting overlooked circa 1973...