• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Bronze Cover Scams

39 posts in this topic

Back in the 1970's Marvel came under the gun for pushing the envelope on their covers, and depicting scenarios and interactions that didn't exist in the real book. This was mentioned in tons of Lettercols of the era, and it's quite humorous how far Marvel would go for a buck.

sub_mariner_69.jpg

This one takes the cake, and you get a superb Johnny Romita cover and the promise of a big fight between Subby and Spidey, only to receive George Tuska interior art and a Spidey cameo. What a scam, and I felt ripped off reading it as a back issue, and I can only imagine the poor kids who forked over their quarter. No surprise that Subby was cancelled at issue 72.

Sub-Mariner 69 is one comic that really needs to be slabbed so that no one could ever open it again.

Like this? grin.gif

550510-Sub-Mariner69CGC9.6W.jpg

I don't remember whether or not I actually read/bought this one back in the day but I know I at least gazed at the spectacular cover in the spinner rack. When I saw this slabbed puppy, I had to have it as it instantly "brought me back into the bronze". This dynamic large figure style battle cover just oozes bronze to me even without the Kane pictureframe design.

I think a high percentage of 70's Gil Kane covers outmatched (oversold) the interiors. I suppose that was the idea... but at least we still have the great covers even if the interiors are lackluster or did not depict what the cover was promising.

550510-Sub-Mariner69CGC9_6W.jpg.9536ab02b18d181ff2f2acc9138ee219.jpg

Did Subby even take a swipe at Spidey inside??

Like this? grin.gif

550510-Sub-Mariner69CGC9.6W.jpg

I don't remember whether or not I actually read/bought this one back in the day but I know I at least gazed at the spectacular cover in the spinner rack. When I saw this slabbed puppy, I had to have it as it instantly "brought me back into the bronze". This dynamic large figure style battle cover just oozes bronze to me even without the Kane pictureframe design.

I think a high percentage of 70's Gil Kane covers outmatched (oversold) the interiors. I suppose that was the idea... but at least we still have the great covers even if the interiors are lackluster or did not depict what the cover was promising.

For me Covers is whats its is all about.Killer Cover, Killer book Bruce!

Davidking623

Doesn't sound like it according to Vince. I just don't remember anything but the cover... and its possible I did buy/read it. It's like that with many books for me. If I read them again, I'll remember if I had, but not just from looking at the cover.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe I just forget the mediocre or worse interiors... sorta like Wolverine's healing factor blocking out painful memories. 27_laughing.gif

Doesn't sound like it according to Vince.

Here's the difference:

Sure the cover to Subby 69 is nice, but so is the one to Defenders 10, and at least the cover wasn't a scam and there was actually a lengthy Thor vs. Hulk fight in there.

I understood.

I agree it was misleading to represent a mega-battle on the cover only to have the interior fall way short of what was expected. I'm just happy (now, way after the fact) that at least we have some killer covers to appreciate even if some of us were hoodwinked out of a quarter. Just imagine if the cover to Subby 69 was a "Frank Robbin pencils inked by Frank Springer" special 893whatthe.gifsmirk.gif

What the hell is Namor wearing??? blush.gif

550647-SubMariner%252006.gif

Something about those aquatic superheroes that just drip with homosexuality.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He was exposed to a chemical which made it impossible for him to breath underwater. Mr. Fantastic fashioned this suit to solve the problem. After a few issues, the suit went away because the side effect of the chemical he was exposed to wore off.

He was exposed to a chemical which made it impossible for him to breath underwater. Mr. Fantastic fashioned this suit to solve the problem. After a few issues, the suit went away because the side effect of the chemical he was exposed to wore off.

I actually like this costume better than the green shorts...... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Was Mr Fantastic in his "experimental years" then? How did Sue take it?

"Ummm, Reed, I think it's great that you've taken up designing, and that you've made so many new....friends. But I'm not sure that I like you hanging out at these biker bars."

The 70s Marvel practice of going with that month's planned cover but because of creator delays, inserting an unrelated reprint instead....

Example Inhumans #9....

42487685132.9.GIF

.....contained an Amazing Adventures (#1 and 2 maybe?) reprint complete with apology..... foreheadslap.gif

Jim

The 70s Marvel practice of going with that month's planned cover but because of creator delays, inserting an unrelated reprint instead...

Oh yeah, FF and Avengers had a ton of those in the 1970's. Those were bad news, and I can remember beeing extremely ticked off with this one:

30929984076.180.gif