• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Character pronunciation

58 posts in this topic

Hell, I've always called him Little Thanos since DC ripped him off like the squatburgers they are.

Darkseid 1970

Thanos 1973

Both awesome. Unlike DiceX who is stupid.

ohsnap_cap.gif

Please. My post was condescending, meant to belittle the mindless Marvel buttnuggets that talk smack about DC.

:makepoint:

What about Mxyzptik? I can never get that one right.

And I pronounce Dice X as Dice donkey butt and I don't even know the guy.

Just kiddin' :devil:

I remember on the Saturday morning cartoons it was pronounced

Mix-ul-plix or close to that.

And about those Saturday morning cartoons compilations released on dvd ?

Y'know,the 60's,the 70's,the 80's ?

There is a sticker on each that says:Not suitable for children.

Big BIG WTF.

What about Mxyzptik? I can never get that one right.

7 year old me read it as

Mix-ill-plicks

and its stuck ever since...

I understood it to be pronounced mizzle-plix. :shrug:

lol

But...

Pronunciation

Due to the phonetic difficulties in pronouncing a name spelled without vowels such as Mxyzptlk, it has been pronounced in various ways by various sources over the past four decades. On the 1967 Filmation CBS Superman animated series, it was pronounced as mix-yez-PITTLE-ik; sources indicate that was the official DC Comics version of the time, furnished to the show's writers through DC Comics editor/writer E. Nelson Bridwell. During the 1980s, on the Super Friends cartoon, produced by Hanna-Barbera, it was approximated as Mix-Ill-Plick. Miks-yez-pit-lik is actually a general translation and other variations have included mix-yez-PIT-lek, mix-yez-PIT-ul-ick, and mix-yez-pittle-ik. To further complicate matters, Mxyzptlk says himself in the 1990s animated series of Superman, that his name is pronounced the same as saying the words "mix, yes, spit, lick," even transforming himself into the appropriate illustrations for the words. Clark had pronounced his name as Mix-Ill-Plick before Mxyzptlk popped out of the comic and proceeded to correct him. In his appearance in the Superman Returns video game, Mxyzptlk proudly refers to himself as "the one and only Mr. Mix-yiz-SPIT-Lik!, straight from the fifth dimension!" Miks-il-piti-lik (with the i 's pronounced only lightly) was used on Smallville, all while the original spelling of his name was pronounced mix-pit-tulk. This has created great confusion and even debate as to how his name is actually to be spoken.

In the recently released Action Comics Annual #10 (2007), "Superman's Top 10 Most Wanted" describes Mr. Mxyzptlk and provides the pronunciation as mix-yez-pittle-ik, exactly like the 1967 animated series. So, phonetically, the pronunciation backwards would be "kell-tipp-ZEY-skim." Confusingly, the 1967 animated series used the backwards pronunciation "kulp-ti-Mix-im." It's fair to say that producers were free to interpret the name any way they wanted, just as they routinely changed other elements of comic lore to suit their various series.

Doctor Strange villain Dormammu. Is it Dorm-am-moo or Dor-mam-moo?

Actually there are a bunch of things in Dr.Strange stories I can't pronounce correctly.

Dor-mam-moo, because I'm not learning to say it differently

you mean cthulhu? kah thu loo if you don't mean Cthulhu I dunno!

here is a helpful video..

Thank you kindly miss Lady Not*Sure :applause:

Now,

Cthulhu walks into a bar with a priest...

Cthulhu Dagon 2016

"why vote for the lesser evil?"

But you are in Canada so I guess you don't really give a hoot who we vote for!