• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9000th Post-Comics and Everyday Life?

40 posts in this topic

Man it came on me almost unawares but - this be my 9,000th post and want to ask a question.

How many instances of comics impacting our day to day life can you think of?

For example, I can think of two offhand: Bizarro and Kryptonite.

The word Bizarro, I think, originated with Superman (if I am wrong please correct). I recall seeing an epsisode of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER where Cordelia told Xander that only in some Bizarro world would he be cool. And it hit me - this was in the late 90's and the word "bizarro" was familiar enough to be used in one of the most popular tv shows.

Then we have Kryptonite Locks. I think most folks have heard of them. They really ARE darn good locks - and again Superman was responsible for the term. And the comapny seems ot still be in biz.

So what OTHER comic book references do you see being carrfied over into everyday speak?

I thank you. grin.gif

Man it came on me almost unawares but - this be my 9,000th post and want to ask a question.

The word Bizarro, I think, originated with Superman (if I am wrong please correct). I recall seeing an epsisode of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER where Cordelia told Xander that only in some Bizarro world would he be cool. And it hit me - this was in the late 90's and the word "bizarro" was familiar enough to be used in one of the most popular tv shows.

Then we have Kryptonite Locks. I think most folks have heard of them. They really ARE darn good locks - and again Superman was responsible for the term. And the comapny seems ot still be in biz.

So what OTHER comic book references do you see being carrfied over into everyday speak?

I thank you. grin.gif

Bizarro Seinfeld! 893applaud-thumb.gif

*** You are ignoring this user ***

J.K. pov, congrats on 9K posts, If only I had read them. flowerred.gif

Well, I don't know if I read all of them, but the one's I did I enjoyed. Well....there was this one time......

Congratulations Pov, wadago. grin.gif

I was racking my brain to think of something, and all I could think of was the Superman song. Huge hit for a comic book character.

*** You are ignoring this user ***

J.K. pov, congrats on 9K posts, If only I had read them. flowerred.gif

Well, I don't know if I read all of them, but the one's I did I enjoyed. Well....there was this one time......

Congratulations Pov, wadago. grin.gif

I was racking my brain to think of something, and all I could think of was the Superman song. Huge hit for a comic book character.

the song by 3 Doors Down?

Congrats, POV! I always enjoy your posts. You bring a great deal of light-hearted fun and insight to the forum. It wouldn't be the same without you. flowerred.gif

Totally off-topic, but can I come over and watch laserdiscs sometime? I have the Star Wars Trilogy, but no player. insane.gif

Congrats, POV! I always enjoy your posts. You bring a great deal of light-hearted fun and insight to the forum. It wouldn't be the same without you. flowerred.gif

Totally off-topic, but can I come over and watch laserdiscs sometime? I have the Star Wars Trilogy, but no player. insane.gif

No! Sell me your Star Wars Trilogy! Star Wars! Empire Strikes Back! Sell me your children!

(When I get new digs you will definitely be invited - barely room to move here! But patience will yield all - IF they are widescreen!)

I thank you. grin.gif

way to go on 9,000+ well as far as comic speach in eveyday life my best friend's wife say

that he lives in the marvel universe, i'v said at a dinner that brocoli is my kryptonite they are

many more i'm sure.....lets see um folks

"Spidey Sense" is a common term.. probably entrenched in our minds as kids from when we watched Electric Company.

Adamantium is now also a common term. Some people even thinks it exists...

The Super Soldier serum (Captain America) is also a common type of serum now in various movies and science fiction stories.

And finally, how many kids are there named "Logan" these days.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(When I get new digs you will definitely be invited - barely room to move here! But patience will yield all - IF they are widescreen!)

You're talking to a card carrying Jedi, my young padawan! I own the Special Edition Trilogy boxed set (widescreen, of course), widescreen versions of all three original films (pre-THX re-mastered box set), and a pan-and-scan version of A New Hope. The only one I have on-hand is the Special Edition boxed set. All the others (along with the player) are at my folks place in Ohio.

Rumor has it the forthcoming DVD release will not be the Special Editions, but will instead have additional modifications. Thus, the laserdiscs will still be quite worthwhile to own.

Oh, I also own a VHS copy of Star Wars from before they added the "A New Hope" title. The voice actors are different for a number of the stormtroopers, Aunt Beru, and I think also the Cantina bartender. It's a slightly different sound mix in some parts, and the video is a 4x3 straight crop - no P&S.

And finally, how many kids are there named "Logan" these days....

I think the question is how many SANE kids are named "Logan" nowadays! grin.gif

insane.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifinsane.gif

The prosecution rests.

HEY! You can only use courtroom references when speaking with FFB! 893naughty-thumb.gif

The prosecution rests.

HEY! You can only use courtroom references when speaking with FFB! 893naughty-thumb.gif

What the HECK are you talking about? I was watching a movie - a courtroom drama - and was just commenting on the fact the prosecutor took a a nap on the office couch for a bit. MAN are you Khaos-centric or WHAT? crazy.gif

The prosecution rests.

What the HECK are you talking about? I was watching a movie - a courtroom drama - and was just commenting on the fact the prosecutor took a a nap on the office couch for a bit. MAN are you Khaos-centric or WHAT? crazy.gif

lo-- naaah. I won't waste of them.