• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on sellers who ask buyers to pay paypal fees?

153 posts in this topic

It seems to me that more and more sellers in the marketplace are asking the buyers to pay paypal fees. Some do it in advance, stating paypal is accepted but buyer pays the fee, some wait until after the sale and then request it after the fact.

In general, I believe PP fees are the cost of doing business and usually don't buy from people who ask for me to pay the PP fees,and up until now, I've always eaten the fees on my sales.

I'm trying to get the forums pulse on this.

Does being asked to pay PP fees bother you? Do you skip threads that the seller states the buyer pays the fees? How do you feel when the seller after the fact asks you to pay his fees?

Is the buyer offering a discount for non-paypal transactions more appealing to you?

Does Paypal even allow a seller to require the buyer to pay its fee?

It seems to me that more and more sellers in the marketplace are asking the buyers to pay paypal fees. Some do it in advance, stating paypal is accepted but buyer pays the fee, some wait until after the sale and then request it after the fact.

There's been some discussion on this in the sales area. Personally I pass on sellers who want me to cover their cost of doing business, selling here is free of charge so a 3% fee is minimal compared to auction houses/sites. They can ask for what they want, but I daresay they're limiting their customer base more than they realise.

If someone tries to dump fees on me after the fact they'll be looking for another buyer immediately.

If its outlined before hand, I dont see any issue whatsoever.

It's just a stipulation. The same as "no time payments on this one" or "wont be able to ship until next week" or "price is firm" or "X% off if buying multiples", etc.

As a buyer, you know what you are getting into if it's right in front of you to begin with.

After the fact is sort of cheesy though yeah, especially for a high end book where the fee will be sizeable.

This has been discussed a lot in the Sales Forum Discussion (To illustrate the importance of the topic, I have linked to the post where Fingh suggests we develop board policies on farting).

I think asking customers to pay the fees is unprofessional - even for a part-time seller or hobbyist. Do the math, factor it into the price and be done with it. It should also be part of the listing rules that sellers are required to factor in payment fees, instead of passing them on. Businesses do this every day, asking seller to do it isn't that much of a task.

After the fact request for me to pay his/her fees? (tsk) I walk away.

Stated in the thread? I usually ignore those threads and are hesitant to pull the trigger on them, cause if the seller is skimping on paying his/her own overhead will they also skimp on packaging? Even if I can buy a book at a price I want to the underlying implications worry me... (not stating anything about anyone's particular business practices, I cant even name who does and doesnt do this, its just a philosophical difference)

After the fact request for me to pay his/her fees? (tsk) I walk away.

Stated in the thread? I usually ignore those threads and are hesitant to pull the trigger on them, cause if the seller is skimping on paying his/her own overhead will they also skimp on packaging?

+1

Cutting corners in one aspect of your business usually means cutting them in others.

I'm going to take the other side of the argument here. In many cases, Boardies are offering up books at or below their cost, just to move them. I don't see anything wrong with someone asking to cover the PP fees if they are just trying to break even on a book, or worse, if they are actually taking a loss.

In any event, as buyers we weigh the actual cost vs. what we think is fair. If the book is something I want, and/or is otherwise a tough book to come by, I'll buy it and pay the fees. It its rather common, and the price + fees isn't a great deal, chances are I'll pass.

However, I never pass judgement on someone that asks for the fees, nor ignore their thread completely. To me, that type of "screw you" type of judgement is by far the greater of two evils.

cause if the seller is skimping on paying his/her own overhead will they also skimp on packaging?

I can understand on low value books but PP juice on a 10k book isn't chump change....

I'm going to take the other side of the argument here. In many cases, Boardies are offering up books at or below their cost, just to move them. I don't see anything wrong with someone asking to cover the PP fees if they are just trying to break even on a book, or worse, if they are actually taking a loss.

In any event, as buyers we weigh the actual cost vs. what we think is fair. If the book is something I want, and/or is otherwise a tough book to come by, I'll buy it and pay the fees. It its rather common, and the price + fees isn't a great deal, chances are I'll pass.

However, I never pass judgement on someone that asks for the fees, nor ignore their thread completely. To me, that type of "screw you" type of judgement is by far the greater of two evils.

As long as it's made clear from the very beginning.

cause if the seller is skimping on paying his/her own overhead will they also skimp on packaging?

PP juice on a 10k book isn't chump change....

There's an inherent cost of doing business in the world. If you don't pay your fees then there won't be services to speed up and facilitate the process. Eat your own dog food.

Why not just bump the book price by 3%, George? (shrug)

If a book has to be offered up at or below cost, that's probably a factor of market demand. I'm not too eager to subsidize the seller 3%. 2c

Yah do what you do, just make it clear up front. But I personally would probably be more inclined to buy if you didn't make me do math. Unless you're giving me a discount.

If you try to tack it on at the end.... i'm out.