• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on sellers who ask buyers to pay paypal fees?

153 posts in this topic

I'm going to take the other side of the argument here. In many cases, Boardies are offering up books at or below their cost, just to move them. I don't see anything wrong with someone asking to cover the PP fees if they are just trying to break even on a book, or worse, if they are actually taking a loss.

Why not just bump the book price by 3%, George? (shrug)

If a book has to be offered up at or below cost, that's probably a factor of market demand. I'm not too eager to subsidize the seller 3%. 2c

I think in most cases, a seller expects that the majority of buyers are going to try and negotiate a better price. So, if you already have to go 3% above your best price to come out even after Paypal fees (assuming the seller is just trying to break even), what do you then price it at to allow for the extra negotiation? I've heard of people who walk away from deals because they don't get what they feel is a "standard" 10% off discount. That mentality puts the seller who just wants his money out of a book in a tricky spot, so if they are willing to say "Here, I got $1,000 into this book and that's what I need to get out of it. Checks and MOs are okay, but tack on $30 if you are using Paypal" then I don't see a need to beat the guy up for being upfront about it.

As Andy mentioned earlier, as long as you aren't being asked to cover the Paypal fees AFTER you've already bought something, its a non-issue for me.

I'm cool with you factoring in the 3% on your purchase price and offering a discount of 3% to those that pay via other methods. I tend to shy away from sellers who ask me to pay their fees up front as I've never done that myself, but to each his own as long as its up front. If I'm asked to pay the fees after I've thrown up the take it, that's usually a deal breaker.

It seems to me that more and more sellers in the marketplace are asking the buyers to pay paypal fees. Some do it in advance, stating paypal is accepted but buyer pays the fee, some wait until after the sale and then request it after the fact.

There's been some discussion on this in the sales area. Personally I pass on sellers who want me to cover their cost of doing business, selling here is free of charge so a 3% fee is minimal compared to auction houses/sites. They can ask for what they want, but I daresay they're limiting their customer base more than they realise.

If someone tries to dump fees on me after the fact they'll be looking for another buyer immediately.

Well said.

I can't tolerate it.

Just factor it into your asking price.

If a seller is too lazy to do that....sheesh.

I was charged for ketchup in a German McDonald's, never bought went to a Mickey Ds in Europe again

Drop by Portugal and ask for a beer with your menu (thumbs u

I will pay for beer, but I refuse to pay for Ketchup packets...its unAmerican.....geez, next thing you know, they are gonna' want me to talk Germanian..or whatever language those people use... :shy:

Let's be honest guys, making a big deal about the 3% is about as meaningful as being angry at Heritage for their Buyer's Premium. Do the math, and decide if it's worthwhile for you, but blindly avoiding sellers and their sales threads for that just seems a little harsh in my opinion, though by all means its your right.

It's going to end up in the price I pay either way, so I can't say I really care. About half of those I have purchaed from have asked.

No, you'll pay your fees, whether or not you pay the seller $1000 or $1030.

I was charged for ketchup in a German McDonald's, never bought went to a Mickey Ds in Europe again

I will pay for beer, but I refuse to pay for Ketchup packets...its unAmerican.....geez, next thing you know, they are gonna' want me to talk Germanian..or whatever language those people use... :shy:

Curiously, for a time McDonald's in Portugal would charge for ketchup but they gave up on that. People manifesting by splatting ketchup all over the counter may have had something to do with it hm

and btw, I believe the Germans don't have a language... they just grunt a lot.

What if it was phrased as a 3% discount for anyone who pays by money order, etc.?

On ebay (not here, I don't think), one some big items, in the past, when it was allowed, I did provide incenitves for folks to pay by money order like offering free shipping or whatever, which would usually cost me less than the paypal fee, but not on small stuff.

Personally, for me, there's value in getting the money relatively quickly, although the 3-4 days my bank takes to "process" a paypal deposit is total b.s. Plus, I like being able to use the paypal shipping lables and what not, so most of the time paying the fee has some value too.

It's going to end up in the price I pay either way, so I can't say I really care. About half of those I have purchaed from have asked.

I meant that sellers who are asking a buyer to pay the fees currently will just end up raising prices to account for the fees if they stopped asking. So, yes, I'm paying their fee when I throw the 3% on top of $1000... just like I will be when they don't ask for the fee and just charge $1030 instead.

Curiously for a time McDonald's in Portugal would charge for ketchup but they gave up on that. People manifesting by splatting ketchup all over the counter may have had something to do with it hm

and btw, I believe the Germans don't have a language... they just grunt a lot.

Don't give me a mess sandwich, and ask me how it tastes!! It tastes like mess!!

Actually, I don't know where i was going with that, but I've been wanting to use that line for a long time. This time was a good as any

You see, it ruined it for the whole continent. Just takes one bad apple and it all goes to pot.

yeah, i remember that when i was in germany, and then the big mac didn't taste quite right anyway and it was really expensive (this was pre-euro, but i think the mark was really strong that summer)

I meant that sellers who are asking a buyer to pay the fees currently will just end up raising prices to account for the fees if they stopped asking. So, yes, I'm paying their fee when I throw the 3% on top of $1000... just like I will be when they don't ask for the fee and just charge $1030 instead.

That's the approach I prefer. 2c

If the PP fee is stated up front, it is not a problem.

I hardly ever sell, but I think I would just state up front check/MO only rather than charge a PP fee.

Just like shipping, I state "US only", rather than haggle over foreign shipping charges.