• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This was posted in the registry forum, but......

133 posts in this topic

Um, I think there should be a registry for these 5000 '91 thru '93 comics I have.

If CGC had been around in the 90's, you could rest assured all those books would have been present and accounted for.

At the same time, I also think that collectors should collect however they like and whatever makes them happy.

Well said! thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I don't think I'd grade out an entire run. Most of my collection is sporadic keys and other representative comics, so I don't think a registry would fit for me. But, if others are using the registry, then more power to them and to CGC for providing the registry. I do, however, think that the registry is inherently elitist, since the point of having a public registry is to compare the quality of collectors who have high grade sets.

That said, I think that JC has some good points buried behind his attitude. If there have been repeated calls for a MTU set, for example, and the number of submissions support that registry, then adding that set should be a priority for CGC. Also, if the Mad magazine hasn't even been used, then it should not be updated. I understand that adding sets is complicated, and definitely easier for modern runs than bronze, silver, or gold runs. But, there are only so many resources, and CGC has to prioritize those resources. It's not my call, but I would like to think that a couple of sets from each era would be added on each update.

Back to Steve's point, I think that there's room for everyone in this hobby, and if adding modern sets attracts more collectors (and more submissions to CGC), then all the better. At the same time as attracting new collectors, just don't alienate the existing collectors.

sleeping.gifsleeping.gif

Nice JC.. what a comeback..

Come on, your comment was pretty lame.

If I have a problem with CGC"s business practices, I should set up my own grading company? foreheadslap.gif

You call it lame if you like.

My point was and still is.. if you dont like how someone is doing something for free.. then do it yourself.

Plain and simple..

Most of the examples you listed earlier were for services that were paid for .. except getting hit by a car...or getting sick from food..so..

If you had paid Steve to create a registy set.. then by all means , complain and expect results.

But for you to cry foul , I say phooey.. and shame on you.. take it or leave it.

Plain and simple

But please dont complain about how someone is doing something free of charge(no matter what their motivation is) when you have nothing more invested in it then an opinion on this board.

So do I expect anyone to actualy create a grading company to make a new registry set when I made that comment??.. of course not.. I am not obtuse.. I was merely trying to make the point to you.. if you dont like it.. then leave.. (and make your own.. the way you see fit)

Otherwise please shut your pie hole.. and enjoy what is there.

Z

So do I expect anyone to actualy create a grading company to make a new registry set when I made that comment??.. of course not.. I am not obtuse..

Coulda fooled me. foreheadslap.gif

Seriously though, you should go work for CGC's PR department. 27_laughing.gif

So do I expect anyone to actualy create a grading company to make a new registry set when I made that comment??.. of course not.. I am not obtuse..

Coulda fooled me. foreheadslap.gif

Seriously though, you should go work for CGC's PR department. 27_laughing.gif

( I thought you knew I did?) shy.gif

ooops... I shoulda kept my mouth shut.. foreheadslap.gif

Z

But please dont complain about how someone is doing something free of charge(no matter what their motivation is) when you have nothing more invested in it then an opinion on this board.

I find it hard to believe that CGC did not factor the cost of providing the registry service into their price structure. I'm sure they planned from the beginning to offer the service (just like the other grading companies CGC is associated with). I just can't imagine they are doing this "for free".

Of course I also could be totally wrong.

I find it hard to believe that CGC did not factor the cost of providing the registry service into their price structure. I'm sure they planned from the beginning to offer the service (just like the other grading companies CGC is associated with). I just can't imagine they are doing this "for free".

I see what you're saying, and using the same logic one could deduce that use of these forums is built in to the cost of submissions. "Free" is a relative term, and I'm certain CGC accounts for these services in their budget. It all factors in to how much they need to charge for their product to make a profit.

Joe's quote:

It seems Steve and co are doing this as a bonus to us the collector..

Bzzzt! Wrong!

Even Steve will likely admit this is a pure business/promotion tool to build interest in CGC and accelerate submissions. To think otherwise is being incredibly naive.

... and Mushroom's quote: "my view of the world is that I could care less about registries, just by having them you are promoting elitism."

...pretty much wrap it up for me. Glad I could participate thumbsup2.gif

Joe's quote:

Bzzzt! Wrong!

Even Steve will likely admit this is a pure business/promotion tool to build interest in CGC and accelerate submissions. To think otherwise is being incredibly naive.

... and Mushroom's quote: "my view of the world is that I could care less about registries, just by having them you are promoting elitism."

My post was not about the registry, it was about promoting the hobby and not making fun or putting down what other people collect or invest in. You call yourself read em, so then what do you care what other people do as long as you enjoy reading comics? You are as guilty as anyone who is an "elitest" This hobby should be about fun, if it isn't fun for you, do what my six year old daughter does; take your ball and go home.

I see what you're saying, and using the same logic one could deduce that use of these forums is built in to the cost of submissions. "Free" is a relative term, and I'm certain CGC accounts for these services in their budget. It all factors in to how much they need to charge for their product to make a profit.

Yes but the service is FREE in a way.

People can use the CGC Boards/Forum and never purchase a CGC book in their life, so does that not make it free to them?

So while CGC might factor in the cost to run these boards into their product price..it is essentially free...and I imagine CGC spend's more money and man hours then they first thought, or would care to admit.

Kinda like my taxes.. I pay them.. but I will be damned if I know how it is spent.. or where it all goes. 893frustrated.gif

I am ignorant though on the Registry set listing.. can anyone submit sets for it?

Or do you have to be a CGC member to be on it??

If you have to be a member.. then I could see how we pay for it then, with our dues..

Z

Joe's quote:

Bzzzt! Wrong!

My post was not about the registry, it was about promoting the hobby and not making fun or putting down what other people collect or invest in. You call yourself read em, so then what do you care what other people do as long as you enjoy reading comics? You are as guilty as anyone who is an "elitest" This hobby should be about fun, if it isn't fun for you, do what my six year old daughter does; take your ball and go home.

Steve! Don't go and grow a pair... I may have to start liking you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

This hobby should be about fun, if it isn't fun for you, do what my six year old daughter does; take your ball and go home.

Steve, I see your recent weekend at the JC School of Forum Writing was not wasted. thumbsup2.gif

Joe's quote:

Bzzzt! Wrong!

Those aren't my quotes - comment to the people that made them (people who must have been Off Topic then???)

"You are as guilty as anyone who is an "elitest"

I'm an elitist because I tell people to read their comics??? 893frustrated.gif

Shouldn't the technical term be "Bizarro elitist"???

"Me like comics so much me tell people not to read them!" insane.gif

Joe's quote:

Bzzzt! Wrong!

Those aren't my quotes - comment to the people that made them (people who must have been Off Topic then???)

confused.gif

Did you even read my post? confused-smiley-013.gif

Joe's quote:

Bzzzt! Wrong!

confused.gif

Did you even read my post? confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure did. Are you having trouble understanding my answer?

I am ignorant though on the Registry set listing.. can anyone submit sets for it?

Or do you have to be a CGC member to be on it??

If you have to be a member.. then I could see how we pay for it then, with our dues..

Z

If you want to put books in the registry you need to be part of the Collector's Society.