• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upgrading my collection, but where do you stop?

29 posts in this topic

I'm upgrading the 1st 10 issues of what I call the "original Marvels," which as a kid I thought as ASM, Avengers, Cap, DD, FF, Hulk and Iron Man. I keep the 1st 10 issues of each title on a spinner rack. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6204478#Post6204478

I'm trying to get these issues to around Fine. Here're my upgrades of Avengers 6 and 8 (copy I'm upgrading on the left). I bought these either on ebay or comiclink.

DSCN2920.jpg

DSCN2921.jpg

My upgrade of DD 5 and 8.

DSCN2923.jpg

DSCN2924.jpg

When I first bought these issues, I was just trying to check off the issue off my list. Now, many years later, I have a few extra bucks so I'm upgrading. But now I look at the books I bought and wonder if I should get an even better grade. Ugh!

I thought about selling the comics I replaced on ebay, but I've decided to keep them. Whenever I feel an urge to upgrade even more, I compare the old comic to the new one I bought and I see the improvement, and that helps deal with those urges.

Scan (then you will have a reference forever and save space) the old ones, sell them, and procure more upgrades.

I'm not sure what your going for? Do you think you upgrades are not as nice as you should have gone?

I am in the same spot as the OP. I picked up a lot of books years ago in ratty grades, and I've been upgrading. I've set certain standards for eras of comics (Minimum VG/FN for SA, minimum VF for BA and minimum NM for CA/MA) and that seems to keep me in line.

I collect mostly key books or key runs, so upgrading can be costly. I have really tried to just get my preferred grade right out of the chute to avoid having to go back and repurchase later.

You never stop, just keep going until you have it all.

If you upgrade, keep your under copy and upgrade again and keep that also, do this until you have multiples of everything, then look at price variants and upgrade them, collect all ages, all genres, all companies while never selling anything, ever, just keep bagging and boarding, racking and stacking them up for about 45 years.

At least thats what I have done anyway..................help me :facepalm:

You never stop, just keep going until you have it all.

If you upgrade, keep your under copy and upgrade again and keep that also, do this until you have multiples of everything, then look at price variants and upgrade them, collect all ages, all genres, all companies while never selling anything, ever, just keep bagging and boarding, racking and stacking them up for about 45 years.

At least thats what I have done anyway..................help me :facepalm:

:signfunny:

I am in the same spot as the OP. I picked up a lot of books years ago in ratty grades, and I've been upgrading. I've set certain standards for eras of comics (Minimum VG/FN for SA, minimum VF for BA and minimum NM for CA/MA) and that seems to keep me in line.

I collect mostly key books or key runs, so upgrading can be costly. I have really tried to just get my preferred grade right out of the chute to avoid having to go back and repurchase later.

I try to get vg/fn for SA too. There are some flaws that don't bother me so then I can get the book for less than vg/fn prices.

Something I like about buying ungraded comics is the difference of opinions on grades. If you find a good seller (and I think there's alot of good sellers out there), they tend to grade conversatively, so their vg might be my fn. Or, it might actually be vg, but one of the flaws that's making it vg doesn't bother me. So I can pay less for the comic.

I recommend stopping when the rectal bleeding becomes to painful to bear.

Wimp.

True dat. :cool:

You never stop...until you get to the point where you don't own your collection, but it owns you. hm
Have you mailed my newest slavemaster? :shrug:

Interesting question and one that I have recently been thinking about.

I mentioned in a thread that I was going to be upgrade a book when the time was right. Colombia Comics had an 8.5 on the book for a decent price and was cheaper than other offerings I had seen. I want to upgrade my 6.0. Do I pull the trigger and upgrade the 6.0 to an 8.5 or do I wait and when I feel the time is right go to a 9.0-9.4 range?

The idea here is that if I am to upgrade, I am going to do it once, and only once. The 8.5 was a nice book, but I cannot see myself spending the money to go from a 6.0 to a 8.5 then eventually eventually upgrading that too.