• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disappointed on ebay yesterday

22 posts in this topic

So, I thought I was going to upgrade 2 books of my collection yesterday, Iron Man #1 and Cap #100.

Both were Buy It Now/Best Offer, and they were both about FN+. The Iron Man #1 was originally listed at $300. The front cover looked nice, but the back appeared to have minor water damage. I countered with $225, they countered with $250, and I almost bought it, but there was the water damage. I decided to counter again at $238, and it looks like the buyer sold it to someone else. Ah well, I don't feel so bad about that one, and more power to the seller for getting a few more bucks.

But the Cap kills me. I was watching it all week, and last night it was at about $65 with about 10 minutes left. What I usually do is wait for the last minute, and then enter my best bid, which in this case was $150. But just as I was about to enter the bid, the internet went down! What's worst, the Cap ended up selling at $65! I couldn't believe it. Congrats to the buyer who got a great deal (I actually think this book was closer to VF than FN), and condolences to the seller. Of course, who knows if I would have gotten the book at $150, but at least the seller would have gotten closer to market for the book.

So, I thought I was going to upgrade 2 books of my collection yesterday, Iron Man #1 and Cap #100.

Both were Buy It Now/Best Offer, and they were both about FN+. The Iron Man #1 was originally listed at $300. The front cover looked nice, but the back appeared to have minor water damage. I countered with $225, they countered with $250, and I almost bought it, but there was the water damage. I decided to counter again at $238, and it looks like the buyer sold it to someone else. Ah well, I don't feel so bad about that one, and more power to the seller for getting a few more bucks.

But the Cap kills me. I was watching it all week, and last night it was at about $65 with about 10 minutes left. What I usually do is wait for the last minute, and then enter my best bid, which in this case was $150. But just as I was about to enter the bid, the internet went down! What's worst, the Cap ended up selling at $65! I couldn't believe it. Congrats to the buyer who got a great deal (I actually think this book was closer to VF than FN), and condolences to the seller. Of course, who knows if I would have gotten the book at $150, but at least the seller would have gotten closer to market for the book.

It's worthwhile to have more than one avenue to access the 'net. If you have a smart phone you can download the eBay app. And if you have a smart phone that will wifi tether you have a way for you computer(s) to be back on the internet in short order.

How to snipe and why can be an interesting discussion. Someone here has already posted one of the auction sniper programs. I find it unnecessary to snipe in the last few seconds. And that leaves you no time for plan B if a problem comes up. The real purpose of sniping is to prevent an (unscropulous) seller from having confederates bump your bid up to your maximum (or shilling). If they exist, the shills are pretty much gone the last several minutes. And several minutes is enough time to get the smart phone out and the ebay app going if the PC has a problem.

I think the best part about the auction sniper programs is that it makes it easier to do what we ought to be doing in the first place. Placing our maximum bid and walking away. Because you are always going to lose an auction if someone else is willing to pay more.

I think the best part about the auction sniper programs is that it makes it easier to do what we ought to be doing in the first place. Placing our maximum bid and walking away. Because you are always going to lose an auction if someone else is willing to pay more.

You know, I've never liked the term sniping, because it has a derogatory slant to it. With auctions, it's fair game to try to pay the least amount to buy an item. Bidding at the end is just one strategy to that.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't agree. If people bid early the price seems to always end higher. I think it's because people get excited about it - and if bidding occurs early then the excitement and price have more time to build -- and bid more than they would otherwise.

With auctions, I always figure out the most I'm willing to pay, and then enter that at the end. Often I lose, because others have entered higher amounts they're willing to pay. I'm cool with that. But what I prefer about entering the amounts at the end is you take emotion out of it.

You know, I've never liked the term sniping, because it has a derogatory slant to it. With auctions, it's fair game to try to pay the least amount to buy an item. Bidding at the end is just one strategy to that.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't agree. If people bid early the price seems to always end higher. I think it's because people get excited about it - and if bidding occurs early then the excitement and price have more time to build -- and bid more than they would otherwise.

With auctions, I always figure out the most I'm willing to pay, and then enter that at the end. Often I lose, because others have entered higher amounts they're willing to pay. I'm cool with that. But what I prefer about entering the amounts at the end is you take emotion out of it.

If you have a max you are willing to pay, it doesn't matter when you enter that price. Just put the bid in. There's no emotion at all. doh!

I don't care for the term sniping either - it does sound negative. Online, it's the only real defense against shilling. At physical auctions the shills start to stand out. They bid a lot, they win next to nothing. Harder to spot that online.

We don't actually disagree. I mostly put my bids in at the end too. I just don't think "the end" needs to be the last 10 seconds - where if you have problems with the internet you are screwed. The last 4-5 minutes seems to me to be just as effective. And leaves time to go find a working computer, grab your cell phone, etc...

Snarky comment for the week...

You should have contacted eBay. Perhaps they would have told the winner on the Cap 100 that they didn't really win the book and then list it for a few more days giving you another opportunity.

Snarky comment for the week...

You should have contacted eBay. Perhaps they would have told the winner on the Cap 100 that they didn't really win the book and then list it for a few more days giving you another opportunity.

lol

If you have a max you are willing to pay, it doesn't matter when you enter that price. Just put the bid in. There's no emotion at all. doh!

It sure does make a difference. The later you put in your bid, the less time you leave others to raise theirs. If everyone always bid once, with their max, then it'd be a no brainer. But since this is not the case and never will be, you need to use a bit of strategy.

It might sound silly, but Ebay is as much trouble as good, buy elsewhere, you'll do fine in the long run.

I agree...over the years I've had some great buys but there have also been almost as many mistakes (i.e. gambling on an ebay seller actually knowing how to grade). It all evens up, although these days there are far less deals.

I like to go to live auctions and then wait to the last seconds and yell out a low ball bid at the last possible second. The auction houses love me!

It might sound silly, but Ebay is as much trouble as good, buy elsewhere, you'll do fine in the long run.

I agree...over the years I've had some great buys but there have also been almost as many mistakes (i.e. gambling on an ebay seller actually knowing how to grade). It all evens up, although these days there are far less deals.

I pretty much stick to buying slabs off eBay any more, especially from folks I don't know.

I got several awesome SA books for about the slabbing cost this past Sunday. I think there was too much stuff up that ending that day.

Wish I had had more $ available, as many got nice books way cheap.

Long story short, eBay is what you make of it. It's pretty awesome to be a buyer right now :banana: