• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Holder or old Holder

29 posts in this topic

I have been reading on here lately that some of you think CGC holders should be replaced after a certain amount of years. Not sure when CGC went to the new holders but why would anyone buy a book in a old holder these days if this might be true.

Although the holders are relevant to the preservation of the book, the reason why old labels are sought after by some is for speculative purposes - the rumor is that they were graded more tightly (harshly) than those graded more recently. The jury's still out, though.

I have been reading on here lately that some of you think CGC holders should be replaced after a certain amount of years. Not sure when CGC went to the new holders but why would anyone buy a book in a old holder these days if this might be true.

I think CGC at one point said that the microchamber paper should be replaced after a certain number of years. We've been told the the microchamber loses its acid neutralizing super-powers after awhile.

For me, I don't think it's worth the massive expense of re-holdering, especially for a large number of books

I think CGC at one point said that the microchamber paper should be replaced after a certain number of years. We've been told the the microchamber loses its acid neutralizing super-powers after awhile.

For me, I don't think it's worth the massive expense of re-holdering, especially for a large number of books

I think 7 years was the magic number?

Okay, thats my point. if 7 years is the magic number then why would anyone unless it was a really good price buy a comic in a old holder considering that means it's over 7 years already in that holder.

because the 7 years was completely arbitrary and was designed to create another revenue stream. (shrug)

because the likelihood that a book in a new holder has been pancaked til it squealed is infinitely greater than in an old label holder.

Okay, thats my point. if 7 years is the magic number then why would anyone unless it was a really good price buy a comic in a old holder considering that means it's over 7 years already in that holder.

because the 7 years was completely arbitrary and was designed to create another revenue stream. (shrug)

^^

If the microchamber is beyond its point of usefulness, I don't think that means all that much. As long as the books are stored in a cool, dry place, they'll probably be fine for many years to come. The Church books, Allentowns, etc never had the benefit of microchamber paper and they survived ok.

If the microchamber is beyond its point of usefulness, I don't think that means all that much. As long as the books are stored in a cool, dry place, they'll probably be fine for many years to come. The Church books, Allentowns, etc never had the benefit of microchamber paper and they survived ok.

Microchamber paper can and will work for years to come.... trust me, I talked to a representative at Conservation resources about this exact thing.... the guy laughed at the suggestion that the paper becomes inert in 7 years. When R&D was being done they pushed massive amounts of pollutants thru the stuff..... 7 years? should be more like 30 if what I was told by a rep of CR told me was true. He coulda sold me more paper by telling me something different, he didnt..... 2c

What should scare you more is the horror stories I have been told of people that have cracked books only to find no paper inside them.... hm

Can you simply get it re-holdred/ If they need to crack the slab to put in new paper, wouln't that mean the books get regraded?

Thats a question, not a statement.

no, $12 to re holder means they crack slab, cut the book from the inner Mylar well, replace microchamber paper,reslab in new inner/outer well with new, large grade numbers label--done :)

Old label books are very likely to not have been pressed either. That's important to some prospective owners