• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'generic' golden age vs. 'key' silver and bronze...Help!

29 posts in this topic

The Gerber Guides provide an excellent way to be introduced to the many fabulous books of the GA.

This forum has a number of threads with scans and commentary that will provide other potential issues for you to explore.

I find that a lot of the fun of GA is figuring out which books are of interest to me and I continue to re-read Gerber, purchase reprint books of GA covers & stories and read this forum regularly. I encourage new collectors to go slowly and to not be surprised if their interests change as they learn more about the era and the comics.

As an investment, I wouldn't recommend using any hard and fast parameters. Nor would I limit the dollar amount ie, I'd rather have 1 book that makes sense and is available for $8000 than 4 books for $2000.

As a collector is really comes down to what you like and appeals to you.

I collect with an investors mentality and most collectors do to even if they might not describe it that way. Try to buy low, don't get caught up in emotional buying, buy things with at least an eye towards reselling etc.

What I look for are 1st appearance/key cartoon characters from the 1940s to 1970's in 8.0 or better. Buy you better believe I'd take a 2.0 Archie #1.

The other thing to do is buy a collection for 80% and then sell off what you don't want, that can work too but takes capital and time.

If I have a good take on what you want to do, buy the very best book you can with the most classic cover. Reduce your grade expectations too. I'd simply rather have a sweet cover and character as a 6.0 than a run of the mill 9.2.

On the cartoon side you can get a pretty good key for $2000. Try

Our Gang #1 (8.0-9.0)

Looney Tunes 1 (4.0 to 5.0)

Four Color 33 (6.0) good luck finding one.

Archie 1 (1.0) again, good luck

Pep 22 coverless for $3-4k

Terry Toons 38 (8.0)

Other early Four Colors can be had too. Some with really great covers and key books.

And all these would be pretty easy resellers, that's the nice part about keys and good covers.

This is an interesting thread topic as I have almost the exact opposite parameters of the OP.

I am looking at getting into some GA books primarily for the "fun" of it and not the investment part...But I sill want "pretty" or complete copies.

I have just started to do some research and looking and it is the covers and sense of history that are drawing me in. There are just so many great covers! I'm finding I am particularly drawn towards some of the sci-fi covers, followed by the horror stuff and of course, super heroes.

Any recommendations for cool but affordable stuff? They does not have to be super popular titles either...THANKS!!!

Of course ECs have great covers and stories. Planet comics also come to mind. Both are easy on the budget and would be easy to trade/sell if you decide you want to sell them later. Buy a few and see what you like.

I came across some Planet Comics covers and like a lot of them, made me want to actually read the stories.

Eyeing a few various GA books from various publishers, all mid-grades on eBay...I just worry about the whole buying really old books off of eBay thing as I know what to expect with SA and up books, but nothing about GA books...

There are many sellers on ebay who can be trusted. When in doubt buy slabbed books, then crack them open to enjoy. You can always do a WTB ad w $ figure you want to spend. If you go fleabay - Harley Yee, Bunky bros, Sparkle City, Filter81 to name a few top notch sellers. Treasure hunting for GA is real Thrill!!

I'll give you one example of why you should avoid generic GA if you're worried about losing money.

Take the Edgar Church (Mile High) copy of Green Lantern #26, slabbed as a 9.6 with white pages:

Aug 4, 2007: Sold for $10,755.00 through Heritage

Aug 5, 2010: Sold for $ 7,468.75 through Heritage

Dec 5, 2012: Sold for $ 3,600.00 through ComicConnect

I'll give you one example of why you should avoid generic GA if you're worried about losing money.

Take the Edgar Church (Mile High) copy of Green Lantern #26, slabbed as a 9.6 with white pages:

Aug 4, 2007: Sold for $10,755.00 through Heritage

Aug 5, 2010: Sold for $ 7,468.75 through Heritage

Dec 5, 2012: Sold for $ 3,600.00 through ComicConnect

Ouch!

Wow it is nice to see this 'thread' get bumped again with more thoughtful analysis. I have always been cautious of 'generic' non-key books, which is why I asked the question I did.

That being said, are EC Comics considered 'generic?' I think that is a question worth asking. I often do not know what to look for in a EC book withoyt looking at the keys. Most of the Bill Gaines file copies can be had for 'dirt cheap' (when compared to silver age key and semi-key issues).

I thank you for your thoughts and appeciate the advice. While I know the silver, bronze, and copper markets well (I do not collect moderns; or even most copper age books for that matter), golden age books are something I often ignored due to the lack of readily available high grade copies and the price of most keys. I don't mind paying several thousand dollars for a book, but past that and I normally look to other collecting fields. This may change however, as I once had the chance to buy a silver age key (Hulk #1) and regretted my decision; as at the time I did not want to spend that much on a comic book. I guess times change...and so do we?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Wow it is nice to see this 'thread' get bumped again with more thoughtful analysis. I have always been cautious of 'generic' non-key books, which is why I asked the question I did.

That being said, are EC Comics considered 'generic?' I think that is a question worth asking. I often do not know what to look for in a EC book withoyt looking at the keys. Most of the Bill Gaines file copies can be had for 'dirt cheap' (when compared to silver age key and semi-key issues).

I thank you for your thoughts and appeciate the advice. While I know the silver, bronze, and copper markets well (I do not collect moderns; or even most copper age books for that matter), golden age books are something I often ignored due to the lack of readily available high grade copies and the price of most keys. I don't mind paying several thousand dollars for a book, but past that and I normally look to other collecting fields. This may change however, as I once had the chance to buy a silver age key (Hulk #1) and regretted my decision; as at the time I did not want to spend that much on a comic book. I guess times change...and so do we?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Hmm, I never thought of ECs as having Keys like Super hero GA or SA... Of course, now everyone and their dog wants Crime Suspenstories 22 for the gory cover. The "key", if there is one, depends on audience. The artist or classic cover would make some more popular over others... ie Weird Sci-Fi 29 w Frazetta cover. You have the obvious "1st" issues. I would say they do not fall into the generic basket because they are the G in Comic Greatness. Having said that, please dont buy any of the ones I am still needing, else you run up the price. : )

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Hmm, I never thought of ECs as having Keys like Super hero GA or SA... Of course, now everyone and their dog wants Crime Suspenstories 22 for the gory cover. The "key", if there is one, depends on audience. The artist or classic cover would make some more popular over others... ie Weird Sci-Fi 29 w Frazetta cover. You have the obvious "1st" issues. I would say they do not fall into the generic basket because they are the G in Comic Greatness. Having said that, please dont buy any of the ones I am still needing, else you run up the price. : )

I'll do my best! I am not there yet. I will probably settle for a couple of EC books in high grade (CGC 9.2+) to start...

Then pick a semi-key in high grade. I really should have bought that Hulk #1 (yes, it is a silver age I know) when I had the chance; but at the time I didn't want to spend the cash. Ironically, I would have made a lot of money on the purchase. This was a high grade Hulk #1; and this was several years ago before the run up in prices on this book...

Oh well; live and learn...

Respectfully,

'mint'

Mint,

Since you're something of a blank easel and not entirely vested in a particular point of view yet, consider diverting a portion of your funds to GA romance. If your investment strategy includes under-appreciated genres that are at the relative beginning of an above average return curve, then romance fits the bill. Check out the Guide's Top 10 Books lists on pg. 167 and their respective returns - romance is looking good. It fits your other criteria - top graded key books (ie Baker) can be had (if they can be found) for within your budget, by and large. Major artists are represented in the genre - Baker, Kirby, Cole, Ward, Schomburg. And the supply will never swamp demand through the influx of new collections - the only major hoard still out there are the Mile High romance, which are about 80% still raw and buried deep. But those 750 books are only 12.5% of the 6000 book romance universe.

This Ward key below guides at $650 for example. While Baker books have an average grade of 5.5-6.5, better does come along from time to time. There are some on Ebay now, and some were posted for sale on the board last week as well. And you will have the satisfaction of looking like a prescient investor while helping to save an endangered genre from extinction! At least that's what I tell my wife...

HeartThrobs1Crippf100_zps13553a29.jpg