• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Movie Plot Hole Thread

253 posts in this topic

Ches,

Regarding Twelve Monkeys....I think the point of that movie is that everything that happened/happens is beyond the control of those trying to change it. So I don't think that the message left that he's hearing in the future was out of synch with the movie as no matter what all these things happen/happened. Ultimately if I remember correctly it was through the attempted tampering of the timeline that the person who released the disease got access to the disease anyway...so really time may not be as Linear of a concept as we think?

I hate to think that everything that is going to happen is already written. The thing that blew my mind though, was that when he was in the insane assylum, by mistake, he might have been the person who thought of the idea of the global virus by influencing the pharmaceutical giant's son, who in turn might have had a hand in having the head pharmacist in his father's company, in ultimately releasing the virus.

That is it though everything is already written. As the audience we're not expected to realize this...that no matter what happens nothing will change...pretty clever really, considering all the popular time travel movies of the prior decade where time travel manipulation usually results in a happy ending with a Hughie Lewis song tossed in...another mind blower...the lead scientist from the future is sitting next to the man that releases the virus on the airplane at the end of the movie.

:o :o

Holee...schhh....

(worship) (worship) (worship)

12 Monkeys rules.

I had to go back and see it for myself.....awesome

The writing..although total plot hole thing,...pure genius...

The lead scientist...The lead scientist :applause:

The lead scientist is part of the plot. I'm surprised people didn't notice that.

Willis' character dies at the end having failed his mission. (He dies in front of himself as a child which explains his childhood visions.) However, his final call identifies the actual virus releaser.

The lead scientist is there as a backup. (An insurance policy.)

The ending is still vague however.

Ches,

Regarding Twelve Monkeys....I think the point of that movie is that everything that happened/happens is beyond the control of those trying to change it. So I don't think that the message left that he's hearing in the future was out of synch with the movie as no matter what all these things happen/happened. Ultimately if I remember correctly it was through the attempted tampering of the timeline that the person who released the disease got access to the disease anyway...so really time may not be as Linear of a concept as we think?

I hate to think that everything that is going to happen is already written. The thing that blew my mind though, was that when he was in the insane assylum, by mistake, he might have been the person who thought of the idea of the global virus by influencing the pharmaceutical giant's son, who in turn might have had a hand in having the head pharmacist in his father's company, in ultimately releasing the virus.

That is it though everything is already written. As the audience we're not expected to realize this...that no matter what happens nothing will change...pretty clever really, considering all the popular time travel movies of the prior decade where time travel manipulation usually results in a happy ending with a Hughie Lewis song tossed in...another mind blower...the lead scientist from the future is sitting next to the man that releases the virus on the airplane at the end of the movie.

Holee...schhh....

12 Monkeys rules.

Yes it does.

Back to the future, Loopers, 12 monkeys, Somewhere in time....but one that completely blew me away with its complete incoherent "traveling," is Primer, that movie went to a whole different level of incomprehensible insanity

Wolverine...how the hell did "Deadpool" bend his arms with Adamantium blades running across his arms? How did he participate in the US Civil war as soldier with his brother?..when the begining of the movie starts off in the late 1800s in Canada (mind you he is still a kid). What time period is it in fact when the main event go down?>>>It seems like a mix of of the 70s,80s, and 90s...now that movie had to many Plot holes..where do you even begin...I mean, when the team was assembled, it was during the Vietnam conflict, with Back ops in Africa...

Back to the future, Loopers, 12 monkeys, Somewhere in time....but one that completely blew me away with its complete incoherent "traveling," is Primer, that movie went to a whole different level of incomprehensible insanity

I had to watch it twice before I could understand what was going on.

You listed a bunch of terrible time travel movies Back to the Future and Somwhere in Time are terrible time travel movies and then put Primer as the bad one??? Don't watch another good time travel movie in TimeCrimes (Los Cronocrímenes) if you didn't like Primer. :)

You listed a bunch of terrible time travel movies Back to the Future and Somwhere in timare are terrible time travel movies and then put Primer as the bad one??? Don't watch another good time travel movie TimeCrimes (Los Cronocrímenes) if you didn't like Primer. :)

I have no clue what you are talking about..I loved them all...

Back to the Future, I have probably seen about 100 times, at least 20 times with my son. I also liked Primer...just that they are a little "out there,"..but we are talking about time travel..c'mon, they have to have holes in their stories, they are fun though

You listed a bunch of terrible time travel movies Back to the Future and Somwhere in timare are terrible time travel movies and then put Primer as the bad one??? Don't watch another good time travel movie TimeCrimes (Los Cronocrímenes) if you didn't like Primer. :)

Back to the Future, I have probably seen about 100 times, at least 20 times with my son. I also liked Primer...just that they are a little "out there,"..but we are talking about time travel..c'mon, they have to have holes in their stories, they are fun though

Ah.. I took "blew me away with its complete incoherent "traveling,"" as a negative. :)

See TimeCrimes anyway. It's amazing.

Ah.. I took "blew me away with its complete incoherent "traveling,"" as a negative. :)

See TimeCrimes anyway. It's amazing.

Did you guys see "Timecop"? That was awesome! :insane:

Ches,

Holee...schhh....

12 Monkeys rules.

What plot hole?

Twelve Monkees is one of the best movies of all time IMHO. Writing, acting, directing all top notch.

Ches,

Holee...schhh....

12 Monkeys rules.

What plot hole?

Twelve Monkees is one of the best movies of all time IMHO. Writing, acting, directing all top notch.

I agree. I've seen it at least 30 times, and I don't recall any issues in that film regarding plot points or continuity problems...

Just saw the new Total Recall movie.

Instead of using flight, they use a tunnel through the center of the earth with a high speed rail transport system. Seriously? :facepalm:

The temperature at the core of the Earth is almost as hot as the surface of the sun. The pressure is estimated to be 3.5 million atmospheres. Also, kinda hard to make a tunnel through liquid magma and other materials. :screwy:

Also, gravity reverses as they move through the core, which it would, only there's no gradient to the gravity. It's one g of gravity, freefall, and then negative one g of gravity, almost immediately.

Who the heck approves these scripts?

Just saw the new Total Recall movie.

Instead of using flight, they use a tunnel through the center of the earth with a high speed rail transport system. Seriously? :facepalm:

The temperature at the core of the Earth is almost as hot as the surface of the sun. The pressure is estimated to be 3.5 million atmospheres. Also, kinda hard to make a tunnel through liquid magma and other materials. :screwy:

Also, gravity reverses as they move through the core, which it would, only there's no gradient to the gravity. It's one g of gravity, freefall, and then negative one g of gravity, almost immediately.

Who the heck approves these scripts?

Arnie.

The first second of "Battlefield Earth" to the last second.

Illiterate humans discover 2000 year old flight simulator that still works, find some 2000 yr old F-15's that still work,fuel them,fly them and beat the nasty aliens who destroyed all of Earths armies in 9 minutes.

This film is unbeatable as having the worst plot in cinematic history.

If you have never seen it, get pizza,pop-corn and enjoy!

Or get totally hammered and its a lot funnier.

L. Ron Hubbard. Nuff said.

Travolta totally destroyed a perfectly good story.Hubbard may have been a nut but Battlefield Earth is one of the best Freaking Sci-Fi stories ever.

Please,please,please,don't let the stench of the movie deter you from enjoying a really good read.It's a huge book but reads real quick.

Again,Travolta's folly.Not Hubbard's.And no.I'n not one of those scientology thingy people

Ches,

Holee...schhh....

12 Monkeys rules.

Would I steer you wrong?

Did anyone mention Hawkeye's endless supply of arrows in the Avengers Movie?

...yes, it is neat picking :tonofbricks:

:gossip: He ran out of arrows in the Avengers. (shrug)