• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avenging Spiderman 15.1 and ASM 700 Leak onto Internet a week early

94 posts in this topic

So what happened to Spider-Man?

He use to be cool and hip, now he seems a parody of himself.

I respect Spidey for being the flagship character for Marvel, as well as his history and importance - but aside from being a 6-year old watching Electric Company, I have never been into Spider-man. As a teen and adult, I always gravitated to the X-Men titles.

It seems that with all the supporting cast, it allows the writers of the mutant titles to explore different aspects of society without trying to jam a bunch of relevant topics into one type of personality - like they do with Spider-man.

I find all the X-Men titles to be exactly the same, ad nauseum.

Nothing is wrong with the character. What's wrong is the writers and editors who are utterly up the character.

It seems like these days interesting story telling involves getting more and more outrageous, tearing down what came before through retconning, and gratuitous character death.

Joe Q happened to Spider-man Marvel...

(thumbs u

Nothing is wrong with the character. What's wrong is the writers and editors who are utterly up the character.

It seems like these days interesting story telling involves getting more and more outrageous, tearing down what came before through retconning, and gratuitous character death.

(thumbs u

^^

In the last 200 issues of Amazing Spider-man the only issues (other than civil war) I read before this one were One More Day which was terrible. Amazing 700 was god awful. I know why I have not read anything new from Marvel in the last 3 years.

Actually in the last 5 years I think Civil War is the only thing I have read from Marvel.

What a terrible way to end the series. Just down right awful.

(thumbs u

^^

Thank you for the absolutely correct correction.

So does this mean that there will be a one-shot featuring a menage with MJ and Aunt May?

Don't give Dan Slott any ideas...

Only if J Michael Stramoronski was still writing it.

I respect Spidey for being the flagship character for Marvel, as well as his history and importance - but aside from being a 6-year old watching Electric Company, I have never been into Spider-man. As a teen and adult, I always gravitated to the X-Men titles.

It seems that with all the supporting cast, it allows the writers of the mutant titles to explore different aspects of society without trying to jam a bunch of relevant topics into one type of personality - like they do with Spider-man.

I think all comics have that beat-a-dead-horse social perspective going on - at least with the mutant titles, they can spread it around to different characters. Spidey fans are stuck getting every experimental plot idea a writer comes up with jammed into Peter Parker's personality - which is why it's probably such a poor read.

So does this mean that there will be a one-shot featuring a menage with MJ and Aunt May?

Don't give Dan Slott any ideas...

Only if J Michael Stramoronski was still writing it.

Mr. Stramoroniski? I think he was the janitor at my old high school.

I think all comics have that beat-a-dead-horse social perspective going on - at least with the mutant titles, they can spread it around to different characters. Spidey fans are stuck getting every experimental plot idea a writer comes up with jammed into Peter Parker's personality - which is why it's probably such a poor read.

Well said. Pros & Cons of team books vs solo character comics as well.

The last socially relevant plot line I enjoyed was civil war. Everything has been trash since then. Socially relevant or not.

I remember i cried when Peter Parker was revealed as the clone. I got so angry and cancelled all my comic subs (for a week). I was only 12 in 1994 so i have an excuse :blush:

I wonder if any 12 year olds seeing Peter dying will feel the same. Then again i doubt any 12 year olds still read comics :(

I noticed the cover is multiple images of spiderman/Venom. Is Venom even in the story? I was hoping he had come back and killed him or something instead of what really happened (Ock switching bodies???) Kinda weird to put Venom on the cover and it has nothing to do with him

I noticed the cover is multiple images of spiderman/Venom. Is Venom even in the story? I was hoping he had come back and killed him or something instead of what really happened (Ock switching bodies???) Kinda weird to put Venom on the cover and it has nothing to do with him

Horible Anniversary cover!!!

Any old lady taking arts and crafts classes at the local Jo Ann Fabrics store could've come up with a Spider-man collage.

Especially with Spider-Man's great history of classic anniversary issue covers #100, #300, and #500, marvel couldn't get a classic cover by Todd McFarlane or another Spidey artist for this event?

Poor choice Marvel. This being the last issue of the title, or at least that's how it is advertised Marvel should've had variants by the great Spidey artist that will work for Marvel. Mark Bagley, J. Scott Campbell, Marcos Martin, Todd McFarlane(Maybe), Del'Otto, and Humberto Ramos.

Instead fans get a generic collage variant, a cover by Coipel who's never done interiors on a Spidey book, Joe Quesada who is more known for One More Day than his art at this point, and a unused Ditko cover.

Bad form, bad form.

The last socially relevant plot line I enjoyed was civil war. Everything has been trash since then. Socially relevant or not.

I really, really liked Civil War - it seemed very well thought out (I've only read it once) and it seemed that all the characters were really being themselves across the board. I liked it from start to finish.

I went into A vs. X with the same enthusiasm, but soon realized that Civil War was something unique and special - not to be repeated anytime soon. It will be a decade before we see something that good again.