• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,732 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2021 at 7:18 AM, Macedoniagreece said:

I wonder if this will pick up. Only see a handful copies on ebay. Seems to be a tough book. Fist appearance Dr. Druid and 2nd appearance of Groot? 

20210813_070848.jpg

I would doubt it as it a reprint book.

The first Dr. Droom was Amazing Adventures 1 and predates FF 1. The first Groot was TTA 13 and was reprinted in Where Monsters Dwell 6. A new story with Groot was featured in Hulk Annual 5 which predates WWT 19 by a month. 

If you're being generous, you have the 4th appearance of Groot and the Dr. Druid rename of Dr. Droom hasn't been very significant in the MCU thus far...

What is the angle here?

On 8/13/2021 at 9:56 AM, PeterPark said:

I would doubt it as it a reprint book.

The first Dr. Droom was Amazing Adventures 1 and predates FF 1. The first Groot was TTA 13 and was reprinted in Where Monsters Dwell 6. A new story with Groot was featured in Hulk Annual 5 which predates WWT 19 by a month. 

If you're being generous, you have the 4th appearance of Groot and the Dr. Druid rename of Dr. Droom hasn't been very significant in the MCU thus far...

What is the angle here?

They re-introduce him in this issue. and reprint an old story. They thought Droom sounded too much like dr Doom. 

I did not know that about Groot. 

On 8/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, PeterPark said:

So the heat would be for Dr. Druid? Was there news?

I mean people will spec any character these days. If one out of 10 hits they're probably still making a profit on obscure characters like this. 

I dont think Dr Druid has immediate potential, but with the number of magic users increasing in the movies who knows? Brother Voodoo was a joke for a loooooooong time. I got more than a handful of Strange Tales #169 for $20, less than 5 years ago, but now he's hot and I couldn't buy those books for $200 now. (shrug)

Edited by AJLewandoski

On 8/13/2021 at 11:50 AM, Macedoniagreece said:

I guess just grab every first appearance you can get a hold of. :p

Sounds crazy but it really isn't if you're into the spec game.

I can tell you one thing if Terra from New Teen Titans ever hits big I'll be rolling in it. Right now I'm just full of it :p

On 8/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, Jeffro. said:

I can tell you one thing if Terra from New Teen Titans ever hits big I'll be rolling in it. Right now I'm just full of it :p

There's enough Teen Titans media out there (plus Young Justice) that I wouldn't be surprised...

On 8/13/2021 at 10:09 AM, Macedoniagreece said:

They re-introduce him in this issue. and reprint an old story. They thought Droom sounded too much like dr Doom. 

I did not know that about Groot. 

If I were going to spec on Dr Druid, besides the Amazing Adventures #1, (which is silver and predates FF 1 by six months, so probably an undervalued early Marvel in and of itself already), I think the cheap bronze play is Hulk 210, where he is first introduced into Marvel continuity as Dr Druid. And with Black Knight and Sersi and Hercules already coming to the MCU, a version of that late 80’s Avengers line-up is at least possible. 

All Star Comics 58 has had some movement..  Sold a copy recently and was surprised a bit by the offer.   Sill seems undervalued compared with Tec 349, Bat 181, BA 12, Hawkman 4. for the 1st appearance of a popular DC character.   May be a good one to watch.

51xmjHjLyYL._SX362_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Wolverinex

On 8/15/2021 at 3:36 PM, Wolverinex said:

All Star Comics 58 has had some movement..  Sold a copy recently and was surprised a bit by the offer.   Sill seems undervalued compared with Tec 349, Bat 181, BA 12, Hawkman 4. for the 1st appearance of a popular DC character.   May be a good one to watch.

One that’s always on my watchlist but even lower grades are way overpriced and most raws are over graded. Nothing uglier than a ton of color breaks on Wildcat’s chest and the deep reds by the logo to make me move on

On 8/15/2021 at 10:58 PM, Wolverinex said:

Do you already own a copy?

No

Funny thing; there was a graded 7.0 in the board marketplace that I claimed a couple of years ago and the seller never acknowledged the :takeit:

since then it’s never been a priority pickup but when I do check the eBay listings, I never find one to my liking (shrug)

On 8/15/2021 at 11:03 PM, B2D327 said:

No

Funny thing; there was a graded 7.0 in the board marketplace that I claimed a couple of years ago and the seller never acknowledged the :takeit:

since then it’s never been a priority pickup but when I do check the eBay listings, I never find one to my liking (shrug)

When you find a nice copy , please share.  

Edited by Wolverinex

On 8/16/2021 at 10:32 AM, B2D327 said:

Another raw copy of Cerebus 1 popped up from a Canadian seller on eBay. Starting bid of 2,999 CA

much nicer copy than the one I sold. Interested to see the winning bid

ooh, here we go.  13 watchers already.  This is a really nice copy.  Will be interesting to see if it maintains the 800 per point price level.  

On 8/16/2021 at 10:32 AM, B2D327 said:

Another raw copy of Cerebus 1 popped up from a Canadian seller on eBay. Starting bid of 2,999 CA

much nicer copy than the one I sold. Interested to see the winning bid

What's your guess?  Wonder why he didn't slab this first?

Edited by Wolverinex

On 8/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, Wolverinex said:

Agree with this! All of the Bats characters get the Batman bump, and the Hawkman 4 has taken off because of the movie announcement...this one is certainly a great one to keep an eye on