• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,732 posts in this topic

There's a whole second on the etymology of retcon on the wikipedia page for retcon. According to wiki, anyway, the first recorded use of the term "retroactive continuity" was in a 1974 book. It first entered the comics community in 1982 thanks, naturally, to Roy Thomas, who heard the term at a comic book convention, liked it, and subsequently used it in the lettercolumn in All Star Squadron #18. Apparently some time in the late 80's, some guy on the internet shortened it to retcon because typing is difficult.

But retroactive continuity is not just a comics term, and was in use prior to that in other forms of media, like serials and novels. I can remember the idea being brought up in terms of the Narnia series, which was retcon city in some parts.

I'm just saying it was noted long before 1974, but I guess they mean that specific term - but "changing a character's history/backstory to fit a new story" is something that probably goes back to the cavemen.

As a kid, I had to do a report on one of the Narnia books and I can remember reading similar complaints in old articles.

Shouldn't it be, Is Warlock HIM? :kidaround::D

OMG, that's got to be the dumbest poll I've ever seen, and whoever created that should be beaten to a pulp. doh!

No one ever disputed whether Roy Thomas took the Speedo-wearing, caveman Him and used that template to develop the new superhero Warlock, just as Greer Nelson is both The Cat and Tigra, only that the transformation is so severe, that Him does not resemble Warlock is any tangible way.

They just took Him as the clay for Warlock because of copyright issues, and wanted to transform a character they already owned. Warlock was its own unique concept.

Tha'ts not really correct. Roy Thomas chose to use an already existing character because he didn't want to lose the ownership of the character if he created it from scratch.

Roy Thomas chose to use an already existing character because he didn't want to lose the ownership of the character if he created it from scratch.

Same diff really. Marvel is well known for stifling creator control, and this is the end result.

Had Thomas worked in a different environment, Warlock would have been a totally new character.

Astonishing Tales #25 is hot thanks to the Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D tv series featuring Deathlock.

Green Lantern #87 seem to be getting some attention. This VG auction seems a little strange to me but I've seen other legit auctions so I'm not sure if this is a real trend or a manufactured one. Anyone know for sure?

Marvel Premiere #15 1st Iron Fist has a lot of watchers. So I assume there's some Kung-Fu movie announcement.

Amazing Spider-Man #101 has gotten really hot. Someone told me that's because he's due to appear in the second Amazing Spidey movie. hm

Astonishing Tales #25 is hot thanks to the Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D tv series featuring Deathlok.

Green Lantern #87 seems to be getting some attention. This VG auction seems a little strange to me but I've seen other legit auctions so I'm not sure if this is a real trend or a manufactured one. Anyone know for sure?

Marvel Premiere #15 1st Iron Fist has a lot of watchers. So I assume there's some Kung-Fu movie announcement.

Amazing Spider-Man #101 has gotten really hot. Someone told me that's because he's due to appear in the second Amazing Spidey movie. hm

Astonishing Tales #25... :applause:

Green Lantern #87... :applause:

Marvel Premiere #15... :applause:

Amazing Spider-Man #101...been searching for a mid-grade copy for years, for my ASM 97-200 focus; oh, well...when the "refund" arrives... hm

Thanx for the post, Whetteon! (thumbs u

Astonishing Tales #25 is hot thanks to the Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D tv series featuring Deathlock.

Green Lantern #87 seem to be getting some attention. This VG auction seems a little strange to me but I've seen other legit auctions so I'm not sure if this is a real trend or a manufactured one. Anyone know for sure?

Iron Fist was announced as one of the Netflix series.

How many characters are they going to cram into that movie? Amazing Spider-Man 2 is shaping up to be Batman Forever or (shudder) Batman & Robin. I get Sony wants to have a Sinister Six, but pacing this out has got to be better than cramming all these characters into one movie.

We had 5 movies (Iron Man I & II, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America) before we got an Avengers movie crammed with heroes. Each one had an identity by the time the movie came out.

How many characters are they going to cram into that movie? Amazing Spider-Man 2 is shaping up to be Batman Forever or (shudder) Batman & Robin.

CHILL OUT!

Mr_Freeze_(Arnold_Schwarzenegger)_1.jpg

There's the blue glow of ... Elektro. lol (I know this is Mr. Freeze, but the color is very similar.)