• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

It baffles me why Avengers 181 is hotter than Marvel Premiere 47. Scott Lang appears in only two (very uninteresting) panels in issue 181. But the masses have spoken.

Meck

Marvel premiere 47 is part of two of the story. 181 and 47 are Both are written and drawn by David Michelenie and John Byrne. 181 came out March and 47 came out in April. When one reads Marvel Premiere 47, it mentions Avengers 181 as Scott Lang's 1st appearance.

Avengers 181 is on fire.

It's hot for sure but I'm not seeing any recent bump...

Actually there's a huge bump in the number of Avengers 181 sold compared to last week.

If the price doesn't go up, that just tells me people are selling them too cheap. You can sell a lot of books that way...

It baffles me why Avengers 181 is hotter than Marvel Premiere 47. Scott Lang appears in only two (very uninteresting) panels in issue 181. But the masses have spoken.

Not to mention that MP 47 is much harder to locate in HG.

No way MTU 86 was in 1977. You might want to check the exact date.

And on the subject of the GoG, MTIO 5 is a very underrated issue, as it's really the first appearance of the team, members, costumes, and names as were known throughout the BA and CA.

+1. MTIO 5 should be in the "Bronze That's Going To Explode" thread.

Except that that's the joke thread . . . :grin:

That and other then the Nefaria Saga is probably the best Avengers arc I have ever read.

That story should be made into a movie.

I think its possible, but Marvel has decided to tie a lot of movies together with Ultron and Thanos. It makes good financial sense really.

Nefaria will definetly be a character to watch in a few years.

Edited by Fastballspecial

That and other then the Nefaria Saga is probably the best Avengers arc I have ever read.

That story should be made into a movie.

I think its possible, but Marvel has decided to tie a lot of movies together with Ultron and Thanos. It makes good financial sense really.

Nefaria will definetly be a character to watch in a few years.

I love that they are doing tie-ins. If managed well, it could make their cinematic universe a fitting semblance of the comic universe.

I love that they are doing tie-ins. If managed well, it could make their cinematic universe a fitting semblance of the comic universe.

Not really, because actors will change, and some writer-director will inevitably screw it up.

Plus, like I said about Avengers mining the entire run of books for a "Greatest Hits" of iconic lines and scenarios (IM vs. Thor, Thor vs. Hulk), you can only maintain that for so long.

Star Wars #1 CGC 9.8 @ $480 & 39 watchers. Oh my! :o

Off topic somewhat, but heads up on that seller. I left the negative feedback in his feedback section, due to him listing (with pics) a certain SW 1, and then sending me different SW1 except it was horribly centered and just looked lousy. He refused to speak to me about it until I filed a complaint and got my $$$ back.

He still sell those books, so just be aware what you are getting into if you deal with him.

Not really, because actors will change, and some writer-director will inevitably screw it up.

Plus, like I said about Avengers mining the entire run of books for a "Greatest Hits" of iconic lines and scenarios (IM vs. Thor, Thor vs. Hulk), you can only maintain that for so long.

Always a Debbie Downer in the bunch. lol

Off topic somewhat, but heads up on that seller. I left the negative feedback in his feedback section, due to him listing (with pics) a certain SW 1, and then sending me different SW1 except it was horribly centered and just looked lousy. He refused to speak to me about it until I filed a complaint and got my $$$ back.

He still sell those books, so just be aware what you are getting into if you deal with him.

Go ahead and list the auction please.

Guy is 100% FB Seller & Toolhaus shows he hasn't had any issues since 2005.

Not saying you aren't wrong, you just cant drop something like that in here on a seller without some proof.

Not saying you aren't wrong, you just cant drop something like that in here on a seller without some proof.

I got a star wars #1 .35 cent variant . He was great ! lowered his price a ton and the book is very nice and will press up 2 full grades. He shipped great.

You are looking at the wrong listing and seller.

The link from whetteon opens up a SW 107 CGC 9.8. If you look to the top of that listing, there is a link for the SW 1 CGC 9.8. The SW 1 CGC 9.8 is the auction I won and had the issues with the seller ter*mand - he doesn't have 100% feedback. The seller I was referencing did not have any issues in his feedback in 2005.

Here is the auction I won and got the runaround on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-comic-1-CGC-Graded-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-SUPER-RARE-1st-Print-LOW-PRICE-/201006034648

Here is a outline of what the issue was (this is what I posted with regard to the claim I opened with ebay:

Your message to eBay Customer Support:

"I received the item from the seller, however, it is not the item that is pictured or described in the auction listing. The item pictured and described in the auction listing is Star Wars #1, graded 9.8 with white pages, CGC Serial #0976602004, and the serial number for the comic is located on the front of the grading case, located on the top part of the case in the center. The item I received is Star Wars #1, graded 9.8 with white pages, CGC Serial #1211808002. Comics inspected and assigned a grade by Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) are all given a unique serial number to identify that specific comic, and then encapsulated in a plastic casing with its unique serial number on the front. The reason the seller switched the books is that the comic pictured in the auction listing (#0976602004) is perfectly centered and in perfect condition. The item the seller sent me (#1211808002) is badly centered and not as described or pictured in the auction listing. If the seller would have included pictures of the actual item being sold, I would have never bid on the auction, let alone a $550 bid. Because of the unique CGC Serial numbers assigned to each comic the CGC grades, it is easy to discern and distinguish the difference between comics. I am more than willing to send pictures of the item received from the seller to confirm the difference in serial numbers with the item described in the auction listing, and also the differences in the appearance and condition of the comics. I want a full refund, including my shipping costs. I understand the seller had stated that no returns are accepted, however, given the seller did not send the correct item that was listed, described, and being sold in the auction listing, the seller has not performed its legal obligation with regard to the contract between the seller and buyer. The seller's "no returns" policy could only apply to the non-return of the item actually sold, which was not delivered to me in this matter."

In the meantime following my full refund, the seller has threatened me with a whole bunch of mess and all the rest of the stuff that comes with dealing with scam artists. I believe I saw the seller doing the exact same thing after the case was closed with ebay, listing a SW 1 CGC 9.8, and using pics of "the good one" (#0976602004), which in hindsight, he may or may own, or even have in his possession at all.

I have never dealt with the seller of the SW 107 CGC 9.8., and my comments are and were not directed to that seller in any way. All I am trying to do is give a heads up to other bronze age collectors on a seller that presents a real chance to have to waste what is my most limited resource, time, and save people the headache.

You are looking at the wrong listing and seller.

The link from whetteon opens up a SW 107 CGC 9.8. If you look to the top of that listing, there is a link for the SW 1 CGC 9.8. The SW 1 CGC 9.8 is the auction I won and had the issues with the seller ter*mand - he doesn't have 100% feedback. The seller I was referencing did not have any issues in his feedback in 2005.

Here is the auction I won and got the runaround on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-comic-1-CGC-Graded-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-SUPER-RARE-1st-Print-LOW-PRICE-/201006034648

Here is a outline of what the issue was (this is what I posted with regard to the claim I opened with ebay:

Your message to eBay Customer Support:

"I received the item from the seller, however, it is not the item that is pictured or described in the auction listing. The item pictured and described in the auction listing is Star Wars #1, graded 9.8 with white pages, CGC Serial #0976602004, and the serial number for the comic is located on the front of the grading case, located on the top part of the case in the center. The item I received is Star Wars #1, graded 9.8 with white pages, CGC Serial #1211808002. Comics inspected and assigned a grade by Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) are all given a unique serial number to identify that specific comic, and then encapsulated in a plastic casing with its unique serial number on the front. The reason the seller switched the books is that the comic pictured in the auction listing (#0976602004) is perfectly centered and in perfect condition. The item the seller sent me (#1211808002) is badly centered and not as described or pictured in the auction listing. If the seller would have included pictures of the actual item being sold, I would have never bid on the auction, let alone a $550 bid. Because of the unique CGC Serial numbers assigned to each comic the CGC grades, it is easy to discern and distinguish the difference between comics. I am more than willing to send pictures of the item received from the seller to confirm the difference in serial numbers with the item described in the auction listing, and also the differences in the appearance and condition of the comics. I want a full refund, including my shipping costs. I understand the seller had stated that no returns are accepted, however, given the seller did not send the correct item that was listed, described, and being sold in the auction listing, the seller has not performed its legal obligation with regard to the contract between the seller and buyer. The seller's "no returns" policy could only apply to the non-return of the item actually sold, which was not delivered to me in this matter."

In the meantime following my full refund, the seller has threatened me with a whole bunch of mess and all the rest of the stuff that comes with dealing with scam artists. I believe I saw the seller doing the exact same thing after the case was closed with ebay, listing a SW 1 CGC 9.8, and using pics of "the good one" (#0976602004), which in hindsight, he may or may own, or even have in his possession at all.

I have never dealt with the seller of the SW 107 CGC 9.8., and my comments are and were not directed to that seller in any way. All I am trying to do is give a heads up to other bronze age collectors on a seller that presents a real chance to have to waste what is my most limited resource, time, and save people the headache.

Yep my bad. doh! It make more sense now.

Thanks for clarification.

We had an exciting few months there were various new books were percolating to the top of the pile making it exciting but now were back to the handful we all are well aware of.. *yawn*. Here are a few that were at least interesting to note. (thumbs u

Eternals #1 CGC 9.6 @ $56 & 17 bids.

Special Marvel Edition #15 CGC 9.0 @ $182 & 19 bids.

Iron Man #55 VG @ $152 & 34 bids! :o That's about how much I paid for my CGC 9.2 back in 2007 when no one gave a flip about Thanos.

Hero for Hire #1 CGC 7.5 @ $130 & 39 watchers! Sweet Christmas! :shy:

Amazing Spider-Man #252 CGC 9.8 @ $200 & 41 watchers.

Amazing Spider-Man #238 NM @ $50 & 54 watchers! Now tell me there isn't love for ol' hobby the goblin.

Edited by whetteon

ASM #252 and #238 are Copper not Bronze..... :sumo:lol

Looks like I will have to add the copy of Eternals #1 I was waffling on to my next submission. It has 9.6/9.8 potential. hm

ASM #252 and #238 are Copper not Bronze..... :sumo:lol

According to the rational collectors in the world, or all the greedy OS dealers hoping to change their mid-80's drek into "investment grade Bronze"?

In another few years, Copper will begin in 1995.