• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,732 posts in this topic

I doubt that as even I know why someone might care about that one. A couple of weeks ago when I was reading about Glenn Close's character and the Nova Corps (and looked that up because I didn't remember when that stuff started as it is such a total rip-off of the GL corps it isn't even funny) and all that even I wondered whether 204 (or 205) might be a good book to hoard, but since I don't feel like paying to buy them on line and ship them to me I never got around to it. For all I know I have 20 copies of each already, need to look around. Definitely have a few. Probably won't go anywhere but I am shocked at how well Nova 1 has done. This was no exactly a low print-run book.

This is a very superficial comment, and we know actual value has nothing to do with hype and speculation. That story arc is probably one of the best Fantastic Four stories ever, especially as

little by little Sue, the Thing and Reed approach death, and are put in suspended animation by Johnny which is desperately trying to find a cure for the Skrulls' aging ray. Not to mention the whole wrap-up of the final Nova storyline magistrally orchestrated by Wolfman.

And it has nothing to do with the Green Lantern Corps.

Yes, I'm sure Marvel's Nova Corps was not at all influenced by the Green Lantern Corps created by DC 15 or so years earlier. I'm a Marvel guy but even I cringe at how much they stole (and sometimes made better).

This is a thread about what is heating up on ebay. As for the plotline and the FF, no speculator cares and, honestly, people buying on ebay, 99% of them, don't care either. They only (might one day) care about the Nova Corps appearance. Or if they're just buying the issue today for $3 they're probably filling in a run or whatever and will be happy to learn, if they read the issue, how Johnny is dealing with this Skrull-related conundrum.

Market perception is dangerous for your health as a comics reader and for your inner balance. ;)

I bought a ton of 3 and 10 back in the day because I liked what they did with Lobo in the 90s (I actually read a lot of those issues back then -- fun, mindless, entertainment) and even his Omega Men character (which was starkly different than the 90s version, although I guess more like his Legion version before he went on steroids) was kind of a bad arse. The look of which was one of the few DC rip-offs of Marvel as he's practically a Lunatik clone at that point. The irony is that later on Marvel comes out with a different Lunatik character and he's a rip-off of the 90s version of Lobo!

This is a thread about what is heating up on ebay. As for the plotline and the FF, no speculator cares and, honestly, people buying on ebay, 99% of them, don't care either. They only (might one day) care about the Nova Corps appearance. Or if they're just buying the issue today for $3 they're probably filling in a run or whatever and will be happy to learn, if they read the issue, how Johnny is dealing with this Skrull-related conundrum.

No speculator cares for the content and I should care about them? lol

If I am "forced" to care about speculation to complete my collection, I think collecting comics has become a pretty much unhealthy practice. I am just glad I got most of what I cared about in the past 20 years. (thumbs u

Jeez louise man, FF 204 and 205 are maybe $3 books right now in VF, maybe, $5-$8 in high grade raw, maybe (that's a stretch),so like 2-3 euros. What the heck can you get for 2 euros, a soda? What are you complaining about!?! There are SOOOOOOO many books from the 70s and 80s that are a buck or two, good stories, good art, what is the problem if 1 issue out of 20 pops? Seriously, FF 180-280 can all be had for less than today's cover price and mostly in pretty nice shape.

If you're a fan of the 70s and 80s and not overly fixated on "key issues" and 9.8 calibre books this IS NOT an expensive hobby.

I do understand that in Italy you have fewer options. But honestly, it's not that some book now costs $20, it's because it costs $25 to ship to you that makes things expensive.

What are you talking about – chill out (as you americans would say lol ) – I was speaking in general.

I do care about the content, and so far this speculation has done nothing good for raising awareness of the inherent qualitative value of the Marvel age as a whole.

How old are you by the way, since you seem to read everything in a personal fashion? When did you start to read these stories and why?

What are you talking about – chill out (as you americans would say lol ) – I was speaking in general.

I do care about the content, and so far this speculation has done nothing good for raising awareness of the inherent qualitative value of the Marvel age as a whole.

How old are you by the way, since you seem to read everything in a personal fashion? When did you start to read these stories and why?

Should this kinda stuff be in Comics General? :facepalm::baiting:

I don't take anything personally unless someone thread kraps in one of my sales threads. When I sell here and elsewhere it is to pay my bills and support my family when I have some sort of financial shortfall, which lately seems to be too often. (Spending $10,000 on roof repairs and other home disasters within the last 12 months has not helped.) I don't think I am alone in that regard. I certainly don't mind that some of these comics I accumulated either when I was a kid or later on in my 20s and 30s when I made more money and I didn't have kids and so many bills are finally worth something. Hooray for me!

I am in my 40s. I started reading and collecting these silly things in the mid-70s.

I think English being your second or third language you are misinterpreting the tone of my posts. I was simply trying to inject a little reality check here. Sure, some stuff has gotten silly price-wise, but the vast bulk is still pretty affordable. [OTOH, I would do far far worse than you if I was trying this on a Spanish message board (my second language), so I will cut you some slack.]

Edited by the blob

I don't take anything personally unless someone thread kraps in one of my sales threads. When I sell here and elsewhere it is to pay my bills and support my family when I have some sort of financial shortfall, which lately seems to be too often. (Spending $10,000 on roof repairs and other home disasters within the last 12 months has not helped.) I don't think I am alone in that regard. I certainly don't mind that some of these comics I accumulated either when I was a kid or later on in my 20s and 30s when I made more money and I didn't have kids and so many bills are finally worth something. Hooray for me!

I am in my 40s. I started reading and collecting these silly things in the mid-70s.

I think English being your second or third language you are misinterpreting the tone of my posts. I was simply trying to inject a little reality check here. Sure, some stuff has gotten silly price-wise, but the vast bulk is still pretty affordable. [OTOH, I would do far far worse than you if I was trying this on a Spanish message board (my second language), so I will cut you some slack.]

I'm with you, Blob. I lost all respect for Italy after my wife made me watch "Eat, Pray, Love". You keep listing books in the sales thread and Ill keep buying them, big man. You are what we here in Ohio refer to as a "stud".

Huh? What happens in "Eat, Pray, Love"? Summarized. lol

@blob: So you are a dealer? I have understood your posts, I just loathe how Marvel has basically discarded its own specificity and quality, so I speak as a reader, considering how much the Marvel age had been important for me, and how poor they have become. Probably the misinterpretation lies here: I would not care about high prices if they weren’t related to these movies hype: I have little money but I always saved for comics, and started to collect 1930s comics when I was 16, in the mid-1980s. :)

More room for misunderstanding: even if two years here on the boards have allowed me to grasp better both your current collecting market and also a bit of culture, you would never be able to gather money when in need by selling comics in Italy… lol

The market here can have high-priced things, but collecting is inconsistent: you do not have the assurance of reliable grading, a pricing guide, etc. Even if guides exist, the precision in the US market collecting (which I like) does not apply, although we have other benefits.

Books I collected when I was 16 (I am 45 now):

EvjFxGch.jpg

It is also different in terms of perception: as readers, we have had an unique reading experience as most of the Bronze and the Marvel Silver age have been published almost "in stereo" thanks to reprints and recollected comics, so one was able to read through almost twenty years of history… as a kid! :)